Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

CS1's - Long term damage

I currently have about 2000 cards in CS1's that are in my "sub one day" box. I looked through them today and it appears some of the thicker cards (GU'd and Bowman Gold) are starting to show some very slight damage to the corners. Mainly the corners are starting to flatten out.

Will this same damage eventually happen to the regular size cards too if I don't sub them soon?

Comments

• CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Yeah they're bad on all corners. 85-91 Donruss will start to fade the color on the corners and some Topps cards will actually start to show cracking on the corners. CS's are definitely bad for long term storage.
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Man, I hope not. I keep all of my "cards in waiting" in top-loaders. Are you keeping them too tightly packed? Or stacked? This might do it, if so.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    crap, i'm in the same boat. i've had some sitting in these holders for months.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭

<< <i>crap, i'm in the same boat. i've had some sitting in these holders for months. >>

ditto image
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Do yo have them in penny sleeves too or just cardsavers?
  • I have some that have been in CS1s since last summer. I haven't noticed any damage to the regular sized cards yet but was afraid that it would eventually happen based on the condition of some of the larger cards.
    Thicker game used cards should not be put in cardsaver1's. They should be put in cardsaver4's.
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's take a closer look at this, are you saying that no cards should stored long term in CS I's? I have a complete 1960 Topps Set raw in CS I's that has sat there for three years, and I don't notice anything.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Would the penny sleeve inside the CS1 make a difference? I got tired of sending PSA my extra materials so I quit using the penny sleeves.

<< <i>Would the penny sleeve inside the CS1 make a difference? I got tired of sending PSA my extra materials so I quit using the penny sleeves. >>

For sure. I had some cards stored in cardsavers minus penny sleeves for a long period of time. Probably 6 months. I took a few out of the cardsavers and left a piece of the card behind. Cardsavers tend to hold card tight and any humidity in the house will only make it worse.

Penny sleeves will act as a cushion. If I had used penny sleeves, my cards would have been fine.

Have fun tomorrow putting all 2000 cards in penny sleeves...you're welcome image
    I don't like using the penny sleeves with cards I am planning to sub one day because it's just one more chance to ding a corner. I do store a large group of cards that I do not plan on submitting in penny sleeves and CS2s though.

EDIT: I am rethinking that after reading Matt's last post though.

• << <i>Cardsavers tend to hold card tight and any humidity in the house will only make it worse. >>

Great! Average humidity in Louisiana usually hovers around 100%.
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Cardsavers tend to hold card tight and any humidity in the house will only make it worse. >>

Great! Average humidity in Louisiana usually hovers around 100%. >>

Geaux Tigers! image
  • bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    CS1's are fine for thicker cards. I cut down both sides of the card saver then put the card inside then
    tape the sides back the pressure will be off the card and it will be safe to ship or store.

James
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Ive had literally thousands of cards stored in sleeves inside CSIs for years and have never noticed any corner damage.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't like using the penny sleeves with cards I am planning to sub one day because it's just one more chance to ding a corner. I do store a large group of cards that I do not plan on submitting in penny sleeves and CS2s though.

EDIT: I am rethinking that after reading Matt's last post though. >>

What you do is get a razor blade or sharp knife, and cut the top 1/4 inch of one edge of the penny sleeve. This will allow you to safely slide the card into the sleeve without the chance of dog-earing a corner. Then it's a simple matter to put the whole thing in the cs1image

Steve
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>
    What you do is get a razor blade or sharp knife, and cut the top 1/4 inch of one edge of the penny sleeve. This will allow you to safely slide the card into the sleeve without the chance of dog-earing a corner. Then it's a simple matter to put the whole thing in the cs1image

Steve >>

Ditto. It takes some extra time and it's not exactly thrilling, but whenever I open a pack of penny sleeves I grab a pair of scissors and cut one of the seams about half an inch on each penny sleeve. I think it is the best tip I've ever picked up on these boards since I seem to be way too clumsy to put a card in an unaltered penny sleeve without dinging at least one corner.
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I like to use the 130pt penny sleeves (extra thick card sleeves) with the CS1's. I have yet to damage a corner since useing these over the standard sleeves. They don't fit in top loaders but they fit perfect inside a CS1.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Ive had literally thousands of cards stored in sleeves inside CSIs for years and have never noticed any corner damage.

I've heard the same from others but have also witnessed first hand that cards can get damaged in them. I would imagine environmental factors come into play as well.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just put your cards in a shoebox with rubberbands around stacks of 50 or 100. That has worked for years.

Shane

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i have a unique collection of Stadium Club cards all with the same triangulated white lower left corner.....they're not even rare as i imagine there are gobs of collectors out there just like me who own the very same customized cards. image

<< <i>

Steve >>

I used to do this when I stored cards in top loaders, but was hoping to get away from that when using CS1s. I guess not though. I am moving cards into penny sleeves this afternoon.

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Cardsavers tend to hold card tight and any humidity in the house will only make it worse. >>

Great! Average humidity in Louisiana usually hovers around 100%. >>

I think you meant to say stupidity.

Geaux Gators!
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Would the penny sleeve inside the CS1 make a difference? I got tired of sending PSA my extra materials so I quit using the penny sleeves. >>

I ALWAYS use penny sleeves if I use any type of card holder. I learned that lesson back in 1990 when the gloss from a 1986 Donruss "The Rookies" Kevin Mitchell pealed off when I attempted to remove the card from the "Card Protecto" it was in.

As far as long-term storage, don't use CS's of any kind. They hold the card in via pressure on the four corners and 3 of the edges. If you apply pressure to cardboard over time, it'll give.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>

For sure. I had some cards stored in cardsavers minus penny sleeves for a long period of time. Probably 6 months. I took a few out of the cardsavers and left a piece of the card behind. Cardsavers tend to hold card tight and any humidity in the house will only make it worse.

Penny sleeves will act as a cushion. If I had used penny sleeves, my cards would have been fine.

Have fun tomorrow putting all 2000 cards in penny sleeves...you're welcome image >>

Humidity, here in Florida? image

rd