Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is this old card?

Comments

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Turkey Red?? I really have no idea, but it resembles the design on one of those felt blankets that came inside the 2006 Topps Turkey Red hobby box.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    I am not suggesting that this is a 2006 Turkey Red, I meant a "Real" Turkey red.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Nice card. Hope it's as old as it looks. What is the card's size?
  • Options
    Bunker- Oh, I know. You can tell this thing is old. Older than 1997 at least. image

Been looking around for another guy to help identify it. Looked around on Old Cardboard with no luck. Have yet to re-registered on the new 54 forum so....

Unsure on cards size. A guy has it and has a guy looking up info/price etc. I'm trying to help that guy. A pic of the back would most likely solve this but....
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    looks hand cut??? maybe a wheaties issue??
  • Options
    From the uniform, it might date to 1909.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    I've seen one other of this type, and had a picture in my Standard Catalog files (no longer accessible) of it; IIRC it was Bliss of the Cardinals, which points to a circa 1908-1912 issue. With their blank backs, I assume they are cut from some sort of box (game?) or package.
  • Options
    Ahh the back is blank. Thanks. It was bugging me I was unable to get a pic of the back. Now I know, no need.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Info >>

Well played.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Info >>

Well played. >>

BillRipkencollector got me yesterday image
  • Options
    You can thank my boredom today and lack of a life.

OldCardboard.com
  • Options
    You shouda seen me. I was all happy and everything. image

I did that yesterday as there was a thread asking about pricing on VCP so someone linked to his other thread asking that same question. Then someone linked that thread to his previous. That Wd40 was a spoof of it and I thought a 'self link' was appropriate. Bored at work....
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>You can thank my boredom today and lack of a life.

OldCardboard.com >>

Ok Now that's taking it too far. Your messing with my emotions now. If I wasn't so addicted to this hobby, I'd quit. I think I'll just pout for a bit.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    It's been awhile since I've felt the need to hover before clickage...I'm getting rusty, as that was numero dos.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    There's a 1910 set literally referred to as "Orange Borders". They are all hand cut. Not sure if this is it but it could be.

I'll try googling for any info on that set now....
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Nope, scratch that thought - Chance isn't in the Orange Borders set.

Here is a link to the Orange Borders 1910 set in VCP, if anyone is interested FYI...
  • Options
    Just Googled it too myself. Thanks for trying though.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    How about here?

Real Link!

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    It is not Turkey Reds, but I think this is the same player:

EDIT to add this card is from 1911

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If my memory serves me right. These cards were cut from an advertising poster or the side of a shoe box. Geez it sucks getting old and CRS sets in. I am almost positive it was not issued as a card. But being that it is period and it does have collectors value.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.