Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

possible change on 2010 lincoln OBVERSE?

tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

........read in NN that the CCAC was formally asked to discuss redesign of the lincoln cent obverse at its next public meeting! WOW go figure!image and stay tuned.image
"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Comments

• Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    As of now they are going with the flag design, right?
    imageRIP
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The current obverse is so far removed from the original, and not in a positive way, that a design change would be good. Unfortunately, the CCAC wouldn't know a good design if it hit them in the face.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Change to what? Something other than the poor depiction of Lincoln they currently use?
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    Understandable the classic portrait of Lincoln would clash with the cheap commercial looking flag of the reverse.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>As of now they are going with the flag design, right? >>

D'oh! OBVERSE!
    imageRIP
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited to remove off topic comment.

How about making both the obverse and reverse invisible?

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Another option:

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

<< <i>As of now they are going with the flag design, right? >>

...........flag for the 'reverse' but the obverse (the other sideimage) is yet to be determined.
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    You haven't heard?

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options

<< <i>You haven't heard?

image >>

..........he's the reason the lincoln cent will continue to be minted........................GUARANTEED!!image
  • Options
    Since 82, theyre all crap.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I assume we'll see a front facing portrait that seems to be all the rage now.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I too prefer the "invisible" Obverse/Reverse design myself!image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
    Something like this? I know its not the right date.

• Options

.........still waiting for 'runners up' pics.image
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    You know, yesterday I was driving home and found myself behind a van
    for a security company. They had a spectacular logo of an eagle draped
    in an American Flag. For a SECURITY COMPANY. I tried to snap a picture
    but they turned too quick on me.

The point is, I immediately started shaking my head asking "Why can't the
    Mint consult someone with artistic talent and come up with a decent design?"
    I kept picturing the new flag reverse. Uggh.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options

<< <i>You know, yesterday I was driving home and found myself behind a van

I kept picturing the new flag reverse. Uggh. >>

..............the problem is the mint still has to deal with congress in the end................................and we ALL KNOW their incompetence.image
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>As of now they are going with the flag design, right?<<

For the reverse, the flag design is not a done deal yet. The CCAC (Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee) earlier recommended a shield design. The flag design was proposed by the Commission of Fine Arts. Both proposed designs have been submitted to the Treasury Secretary. In my opinion, just about *anything* would be better than the flag design.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most likely a 3/4 Presidential dollar type view. I like the UHR version above. The quote is interesting, especially the last sentence.

R95
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I immediately started shaking my head asking "Why can't the
    I kept picturing the new flag reverse. >>

Because it's cheaper to pull a design from Microsoft Clipart than to pay a real engraver for a real design and the lemmings of the world will still buy wahetever the mint force feeds them.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

............image
  • Options
    I hate to point this out. I thought only dead presidents were on business strike coinage.image
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Figured they'd screw up the cent just as they did the nickel obv.
    I'd just like to see them bring the original 1909 Lincoln obverse.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You know, yesterday I was driving home and found myself behind a van

I kept picturing the new flag reverse. Uggh. >>

US Code Title 36 Chapter 10 §176 (d): The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery...

So if the mint did adopt this, their design would be depicting a violation of the US Flag code. Of course, it gets better:

US Code Title 36 Chapter 10 §176 (i): The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard...

Given the way the cent is currently used, and the fact that cents no longer suitable for circulation probably end up in parking lots or landfills more often than being sent back to their source for an appropriately dignified destruction, putting the flag on it seems to be in violation of the Flag Code.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the "redesigns" of the modern coins look like crap! Looks like they were done by 3rd graders on Meth!
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    dropdaflag:

Sorry, but that portrait of Lincoln just keeps reminding me of Buddy Ebsen for some reason.....................image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Figured they'd screw up the cent just as they did the nickel obv.
    I'd just like to see them bring the original 1909 Lincoln obverse.

Regards, John >>

Here, here.
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002
    call me stubborn but I would have enjoyed seeing the wheat ear design again even if its just one year
  • Options

<< <i>dropdaflag:

Sorry, but that portrait of Lincoln just keeps reminding me of Buddy Ebsen for some reason.....................image >>

Well dawgies! I do think that is right funny. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file