Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BBCE Group Case Break - 2001 Topps Baseball - Mantle Pulled & PSA 10 Ripken poppage!

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>UPS just arrived with box in hand! I'll be ripping at lunch today, I even brought all of my "pack-ripping equipment" to work, lol. >>

pliers and a blowtorch? >>

Nah, that's what I go to work on the homes around here with. (Pulp Fiction reference) image
  • Options
    Mine have not come! I have a stack of Card Savers and sleeves waiting for some 01 Topps, please mr. postman hook me up! I know somewhere out there, a PSA ten slab is waiting for my Ripken 01 Topps that is still neatly tucked away in a foil pack!
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • Options
    Opened box 1 of 3 today at lunch. Overall the cards are SWEET!! They are however slightly stuck together. If you're careful, you can loosen them up with zero damage. We knew this was the case already with these cards. All of the cards are very sharp and centered.

I can't go into too much detail with what I pulled since I'm still at work. Nothing to call home about, but I'm very happy so far. I pulled three Ripken cards, but NONE of them were the #1 base card. CRAP!

Will continue ripping this evening.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I just got mine in the mail and will open them shortly. image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Ahh, you all make me crazy! I need to check the office again to see if they have come in!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    It's UPS, in case you weren't sure. I'm in Ohio, so I typically get mine in 2 days from BBCE.
  • Options
    Well I did not get any auto's, although I did not really expect to. I did get 4 different Ripkens including the #1. Breakdown of my rip:

Ripkens: 1, 384, 387 and TC3
    #'ed to 2001: 3 cards
    Hafner RC: 2 cards
    Hee Seop Choi RC: 1 Card
    Soriano RC: 1 card
    Vintage Reprints: 4 cards
    Look Ahead: Garciaparra
    Golden Anniversary: Chen, Koufax, Garciaparra, Anderson
    Tradition Continues: Shawn Green, Garciaparra
    Topps Combos: Ripken & Robinson, Gibson & Martinez, Chipper Jones & Schmidt

Garciaparra was a popular card with me image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    I always loved that Ripken/Robinson card.
  • Options
    How many total basic cards are in the 1st series. The link to the checklist isn't working for me.
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options

<< <i>Well I did not get any auto's, although I did not really expect to. I did get 4 different Ripkens including the #1. Breakdown of my rip:

Ripkens: 1, 384, 387 and TC3
    #'ed to 2001: 3 cards
    Hafner RC: 2 cards
    Hee Seop Choi RC: 1 Card
    Soriano RC: 1 card
    Vintage Reprints: 4 cards
    Look Ahead: Garciaparra
    Golden Anniversary: Chen, Koufax, Garciaparra, Anderson
    Tradition Continues: Shawn Green, Garciaparra
    Topps Combos: Ripken & Robinson, Gibson & Martinez, Chipper Jones & Schmidt

Garciaparra was a popular card with me image >>

How did your Ripken #1 look? Thinking 10?
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    Excuse my ignorance (more like my lack of collecting recent issues), but what's the big deal with the Ripken #1 card?
  • Options
    It's low pop in PSA 10. If someone were to post one on ebay right now, it would easily sell for over $150. We're taking our chances with submitting our own #1 card. Thus raising the Pop, and lowering the value. lol
  • Options
    No, not a 10 it is a little to OC for that image

They are nice looking cards. If anyone is interested in trading let me know. I would really like to finish off the set.

Thanks!

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Ripken rundown from my 2 boxes:

2x #1
    2x #384
    1x #387
    1x #TC3

Both #1 are easy 9s.

Other highlights:
    1977 Don Carrithers
    3x Adam Wainwright
    1987 Reprint Ozzie Smith (Coolest card in the boxes and I had no idea it was even possible to get one) image
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    someone would pay 150 dollars for a card that books raw a buck fifty? That is silly, you can buy a pair of Ripken autos for that price!

Kevin
  • Options
    Okay, I know it's 2am ET, but I have to post this tonight... I PULLED A MANTLE!! image

Odds are 1:28,192 to pull a "Mickey Mantle Vintage". Too bad the condition SUCKS. The corners are actually not that bad, but there's some kind of gold surface smudge on it. You can see it in the scan.

I realize this isn't that HOLY CRAP of a card, BUT I PULLED A REAL MANTLE OUT OF A 2001 TOPPS PACK!! I didn't even realize you could get these in these packs... lol.

I'm still subbing it, because it's my first real Mantle card. ENJOY!

BTW, I pulled (2) #1 Ripkens out of (3) boxes. They're beautiful though, both have a shot!

• Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

<< <i>someone would pay 150 dollars for a card that books raw a buck fifty? That is silly, you can buy a pair of Ripken autos for that price!

Kevin >>

The registry does crazy things to people
  • Options
    Congrats on the Mantle Jeff! I'd be pretty excited about it too!
  • Options
    It's gonna be tough falling asleep now... lol
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go on the Mantle!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    By the way, my Ripken count for (3) boxes were:

2x #1 (ouch)
    3x #384
    2x #387
    1x #TC3
    1x "Glove Birds" Robinson/Ripken

I wonder if the #1 Ripken is SP or something, because I got about 5 or 6 Jeters, Arods, and Gwynns each. Who knows... it was a GREAT RIP! image

Keep the results coming!
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Nice pull on the Mantle.image

Any of the Golden Auto's?
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Getting kinda antsy waiting on my boxes.

Congrats on the Mantle Jeff. Probably the best pull the case has to offer.
  • Options
    Thanks! You know, in the grand scheme of things, if you pull a card carrying 1:28,192 odds (or 1 in 29 cases), you would think it would be a card worth at least $100 or more. In this condition, I would be lucky to see $30 for this one. But it's a freaking Mantle, so who cares! It was a THRILL to say the least. Well worth the rip.

I'll be subbing my Ripkens this weekend, along with some others I have ready for the $8 special.
  • Options
    That is awesome! Good work on the Mantle and the Ripken #1. I just hope we can get at leat one 10 out of the case!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Yeah, it's crazy how little there are of the #1s. It turns out I may have been right about needing 2 of these boxes to put together a set of Series 1.
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Congrats on the Mantle!

• Options
    Awesome pull on the Mantle! I was excited when I pulled a 1977 common so I couldn't imagine getting a Mantle. Congrats!
    White Whales:
  • Options
    Sweet! That's still a 1:900-something card I think. Sucks that it was a common though. It makes for a nice surprise for sure!
  • Options
    Congrat's! That is awesome!

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG JEFF! That's what card collecting is supposed to do to you ... You were excited about THE CARD, NOT about THE VALUE! Good for you!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    WTG on the Mantle. I have never owned a vintage Mantle either so I would be pretty excited too. Those are the packs that keeps us spending our hard earned $ on ripping packs. Are there there any Topps years that give you a chance to pull a 52 Mantle? That would be pretty cool.
  • Options
    I think they claim there is/are 1952 Mantles in these 2001 packs, but I'm willing to bet it's a voucher. With the years where the cards were a larger size, surely they wouldn't insert those into these packs.

Has anyone else besides myself and prscott933 pulled a non-2001 Topps card from this case yet? The common "History" card prscott933 pulled had 1:913 pack odds (just under 1 per case), a vintage star holds 1:4,375 odds (1 in 6 cases), and the Mantles hold 1:28,192 odds (holy crap).
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    WOW - nice Mantle - congrats!!!
  • Options
    Mine just got here today. Still have not picked them up, so I wont have any updates till tomorrow more than likely, since I'm going to the local minor league game tonight. I'm so ready to bust these boxes!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Got my 3 boxes yesterday but didn't have a chance to open them. I'll post my results today after work.
  • Options
    Not a good rip for me. I got one #1 Ripken, and it was a beauty, except for the fact that it has a gold line transfer right across Ripkens shoulder. Needless to say no 10. That was the only Ripken #1 I got out of two boxes. I did however pull a beautiful Chipper Jones #2 that should be an easy 10 and A really nice Jeter that should be a ten also. As for inserts, I got a bunch of the reprints. I got Arron, Williams, Griffey, Robinson, Brett(RC) and some more. No auto's and three gold cards, but no one of mention! The Ripken #1 must be a shot print, because it sounds like we all got one a box or less! Crazy!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    The Ripken is not a SP. All the Ripkens from this case were stuffed into my 3 boxes which I should have by Wednesday with my extra BBCE junk.
  • Options
    Better share the love Bill! Also, how many Mantle cards did y'all get, the nuber 7 card in the set. so far, out of the first 220 cards in the set that is the only one I missing. I'll be looking to trade with anyone needing to fill their holes. I've pretty much got two of each card, except for the stars, which if anyone has noticed seem to be the first card of every ten digit grouping in the set.
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    lol What if Topps cut the 52's to fit in the pack...
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    EOT!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Are any of these worth subbing for resale besides the Ripken?
    White Whales:
  • Options
    Sorry I never got around to posting my results. Here they are:

Of my 3 boxes I got only 2 #1's(both have corner dings), 2 #384's, 3 #387's, and a TC3. Also I got 2 Hafner RC's, 3 Rocco Baldelli, 3 Josh Hamilton, and 3 Zito/Sabathia prospect cards, and a whole crapload of inserts.

Pretty disappointed about this break, but my hopes were never really that high to begin with. Guess I'll have to buy a few more boxes...

Edit: Oh and did I mention I didn't complete the base set? I sorted and am missing a few. I don't have the numbers off hand but I'll go back through and figure it out tomorrow.

Definitely fun break though. I'd be down to do another in the future.
  • Options
    K, I came up a few cards short myself. If you'd like, I'll swap you strait up for what you need to what I need. I haven't gone thru to see what ones they are, but I know I'm missing a few. Don't feel bad about the #1 Ripken I think we all got shafted. Bill is the only one left who could strike 01 #1 gold!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Of the two #1s I pulled, I can't see anything wrong with either one of them. I have my fingers crossed! They're heading to Newport Beach this week.

If anyone is looking to complete their set, I'm not building one at the moment, so post your "need" numbers and I can see what I have.
  • Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    I worked at a card shop for a few years and remember busting some of these boxex and watching customers bust boxes. I never EVER saw anyone pulla vintage card. So your Mantle pull was an absolute rarity in this product.
  • Options
    Jeff, I know there is probably a long line, but if you do by chance pop 2 10's on that #1, put me in the running for purchase contention. Same goes for anyone else who ripped and subs a 10 Ripken #1. I'm open to the offer put on the table!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Mine should be here by Thursday. I plan on building one set. Hopefully 3 boxes will be enough.
  • Options
    By the way a PSA 10 Ripken #387 ended today for $40.99, pop 1
    and a PSA 10 Ripken #384 ended at $30.86, pop 2
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I picked mine up today. I will rip tonight or tomorrow.