Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The History of Topps

This is interesting if you have never read it before:

History of Topps

Around 1960, during a spring cleaning effort at the Topps Brooklyn headquarters, Sy hired a garbage boat, loaded 300 to 500 cases of 1952 high-series cards, and rode with them as a tugboat pulled them off the New Jersey shore. The cards were then dumped into the Atlantic Ocean.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation

Comments

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    There is also speculation that cases and cases of cards were used as landfill and buried in the area of the factory in Duyrea, PA. I beleive this was in the 1960's.

Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting point about the value of the '52 High series cards not being as high today had they NOT been dumped in the ocean.
  • Options
    uyu906uyu906 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Hi Bob,

If you know the location of the landfill in Duryea, I am up for a roadtrip! image

Looking to trade for, or purchase, raw or graded vintage for my baseball sets: 1927 York Caramel, 1951 Bowman, 1957 Topps, 1967-1979.
    http://richsbaseball.webs.com
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Bob,

If you know the location of the landfill in Duryea, I am up for a roadtrip! image >>

Would that be the Jimmy Hoffa Collection?
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    At $5,000 per pack, the value of the cards dumped into the Atlantic on that fateful day is a staggering $1,440,000,000.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Dig em up!
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No crap...let's get at those cards!! The wax may have assisted in preservation. And what about CELLOS!!! We need sonar, some WD-40 and Gauze Pads, and I'm going to need someone to cover my job for me for a few weeks. Plus some Parrot Bay rum would be nice, which I like to sip, as I am a pantywaist.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    That'd be interesting to see on Discovery channel.....Treasure Hunters in the Atlantic, looking for cardboard...what are the odds you can do a chemical wash on a few surviving packs(like Titanic the movie) and see a handsome picture of Mickey Mantle!