Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BAD "BUYER" OR NOT? ........ISSUE RESOLVED THANKS

We have community member (who shall remain nameless) who decides after ten days of non-payment (no communication from him) and a NPB filed on him to finally pay for his EBAY auction. Well at that point the card is no longer for sale and his paypal is refunded promptly. Today i notice he has left a negative for me (my first in 10 years).........which is not the end of the world it just really pi$$ed me off! Why should a buyer who has an NPB filed against them be allowed to leave ANY FEEDBACK, much less a negative!

PROBLEM RESOLVED

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    I realize it was 10 days with no communication BUT if he paid shortly thereafter, I would have completed the deal...I say NO db
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Fixed price, immediate payment required...it's the only way to fly...

Just get ready for messages telling you why the price is too high and how "potential buyer A" would only pay $XXX amount...oh, and how they'll pay when they get their next paycheck if you'll just take off the "immediate payment required."

No, they won't understand that they can just wait to buy when the actually have the funds.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Fixed price, immediate payment required.... >>

That's how I roll. Much less headache that way.

Did you state in your item description that payment was due within xx days?
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Ten days is not nearly long enough. I have guys who are over 21 days right now, and that's far from unusual. I'm guessing that you don't do a lot of volume selling on Ebay, because a 10 day payment policy- while perhaps desirable-- is simply not realistic.
  • Options

<< <i>Ten days is not nearly long enough. I have guys who are over 21 days right now, and that's far from unusual. I'm guessing that you don't do a lot of volume selling on Ebay, because a 10 day payment policy- while perhaps desirable-- is simply not realistic. >>

I'm low volume, but on the rare occasion I list something auction style, I don't even send a second invoice until day 10 to 14. That policy has allowed me to never need to file a NPB.

edited to add:

With the second invoice I also send a message stating if the buyer would like to cancel the transaction, I will agree if they will allow me to cancel through the proper channels in order to be refunded my seller's fees. It means very little...I'll get them back no matter what, but it's not threatening and it seems rather accommodating.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "Fixed price, immediate payment required...it's the only way to fly..."

///////////////////

Yup.

I have not had a NPB in more than two-years.

NPBs with valid explanations for the delay should contact
    their seller.

NPBs should not be allowed to leave FB, unless the NPB
    discovered some fraud on the part of the seller after the
    sale and decided not to pay.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    I state clearly.......payment requested within 5 days, realizing they have 7 per TOS with EBAY before i can file an NPB. It was a 7 day auction. I am sorry , if you can't pay in 7 days, DO NOT BID!

their seller.

sale and decided not to pay.

exactly!
  • Options

<< <i>We have community member (who shall remain nameless) who decides after ten days of non-payment (no communication from him) and a NPB filed on him to finally pay for his EBAY auction. Well at that point the card is no longer for sale and his paypal is refunded promptly. Today i notice he has left a negative for me (my first in 10 years).........which is not the end of the world it just really pi$$ed me off! Why should a buyer who has an NPB filed against them be allowed to leave ANY FEEDBACK, much less a negative! I hope he reads this and responds...................ONE vote for DOUCHE BAG.
    Thoughts? >>

Let me ask a different question. Did you communicate with the buyer yourself and give a friendly reminder?
  • Options

<< <i>"Fixed price, immediate payment required...it's the only way to fly..."

///////////////////

Yup.

I have not had a NPB in more than two-years.

their seller.

sale and decided not to pay. >>

Buyer did pay; was not a NPB
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Friendly reminders always sent on the 3rd day.............Card was no longer available for sale after 10 days of non-payment......hell, as far as i knew he may never pay!
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Interesting...
  • Options
    from the OP's tone of language, I'd really like to hear the other side of the story.
  • Options
    You may or may not..................i doubt he has the nads to step up! (pig is freakin me out)
  • Options
    "...Buyer did pay; was not a NPB.."

//////////////////////////////

He was a NPB at the time the seller filed the NPB.

He became a PB after the NPB was filed.

When I used to do auctions, I never filed an NPB
    until about 30-days after the listing ended.

But, with the PayPal-only scheme in effect, there
    really is no good reason for long payment delays;
    except, obviously, health emergencies.

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    post the name..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I think whether the buyer was a board member or not is immaterial to the discussion (unless you feel like giving him up image)
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>post the name.. >>

Agreed. This thread is not entertaining without names.
  • Options

<< <i>"...Buyer did pay; was not a NPB.."

//////////////////////////////

He was a NPB at the time the seller filed the NPB.

He became a PB after the NPB was filed.

When I used to do auctions, I never filed an NPB
    until about 30-days after the listing ended.

But, with the PayPal-only scheme in effect, there
    really is no good reason for long payment delays;
    except, obviously, health emergencies. >>

Is it possible to refuse payment and then file the NPB? The reason I ask is the buyers follow-up feedback comment makes it sound like that. Not saying that is what happened, just wondering if it can happen.

• Options

<< <i>

Is it possible to refuse payment and then file the NPB? The reason I ask is the buyers follow-up feedback comment makes it sound like that. Not saying that is what happened, just wondering if it can happen. >>

Hmm. Based on the second sentence, do you know who the person is?
  • Options
    There are many good detectives on this board.....................sounds as if he does. Why would i refuse a payment, then file an NPB? I do not think you can even do that, can you?????? "This board is for fun, EBAY is for cash."
  • Options
    "Is it possible to refuse payment and then file the NPB?..."

////////////////////////

Yes, but a buyer/bidder has an opportunity to raise that
    defense in the NPB process. If upheld, the FVF will/may not be
    refunded to the seller and the buyer/bidder will not
    receive an NPB strike.

It is pretty usual for NPBs to claim - via FB - that the seller
    did something "wrong."

If the seller rcd. his FVF refund, EBAY found that the seller
    acted properly.

• Options

<< <i>"Is it possible to refuse payment and then file the NPB?..."

////////////////////////

Yes, but a buyer/bidder has an opportunity to raise that
    defense in the NPB process. If upheld, the FVF will/may not be
    refunded to the seller and the buyer/bidder will not
    receive an NPB strike.

It is pretty usual for NPBs to claim - via FB - that the seller
    did something "wrong."

If the seller rcd. his FVF refund, EBAY found that the seller
    acted properly. >>

Good to know. Thanks for the info Storm. One follow up question though if I may.

If EBAY refunded and found that the seller acted properly, does the seller have any defense/options for the negative feedback?

• Options
    why didnt you request his contact info from ebay and give him a call? Also, why is the item mysteriously not for sale anymore? leaning to the OP being the db. Unless he has some really good reasons.
  • Options
    "...If EBAY refunded and found that the seller acted properly, does the seller have any defense/options for the negative feedback?.."

///////////////////////////////////////////////

The FB may be removed if

it does not specifically cite some dissatisfaction with
    the "seller's product or service."

The process is a bit cumbersome, but it can be done.

• Options

<< <i>why didnt you request his contact info from ebay and give him a call? Also, why is the item mysteriously not for sale anymore? leaning to the OP being the db. Unless he has some really good reasons. >>

Why should i have to hunt him down? He entered into the contract on his own....................you must be a pay when you feel like it guy too, huh?

How long should i wait for payment before selling or relisting? Should i wait 15, 25, 37, 55 days???
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>why didnt you request his contact info from ebay and give him a call? Also, why is the item mysteriously not for sale anymore? leaning to the OP being the db. Unless he has some really good reasons. >>

Why should i have to hunt him down? He entered into the contract on his own....................you must be a pay when you feel like it guy too, huh?

How long should i wait for payment before selling or relisting? Should i wait 15, 25, 37, 55 days??? >>

The buyer may be in the wrong for the eBay auction, but you sure sound like a difficult person to deal with.

• Options
    well, you are running a "business" arent you? You are not showing very good customer service skills. Look you already attacked me for pointing out your flaws. I dont think YOU are cut out for ebay, stick to the flea markets, where there are no rules.
  • Options
    "...How long should i wait for payment before selling or relisting? Should i wait 15, 25, 37, 55 days???..."

////////////////////////

7-days is, as we all know, all the time you need to wait
    to file the NPB.

The NPB then has 7-days to reply/pay.

How long a seller waits to take action is solely his own decision.

The longer you wait, on average, the more settled accounts
    you will have.

• Options

well, you are running a "business" arent you? You are not showing very good customer service skills. Look you already attacked me for pointing out your flaws. I dont think YOU are cut out for ebay, stick to the flea markets, where there are no rules.

Flaws?

Its simple really, follow the rules. I have over 1450 positives my customer service skills are fine. I can't understand why you keep excusing laziness or apathy. Neither of which are good for EBAY.
  • Options

<< <i>well, you are running a "business" arent you? You are not showing very good customer service skills. Look you already attacked me for pointing out your flaws. I dont think YOU are cut out for ebay, stick to the flea markets, where there are no rules.

Flaws?

Its simple really, follow the rules. I have over 1450 positives my customer service skills are fine. I can't understand why you keep excusing laziness or apathy. Neither of which are good for EBAY. >>

if your customer skills are fine, then don't call people douche bags and try to resolve things amicably.
  • Options
    You come here wanting opinions, you dont like what you here, you attak my credibility. My final Verdict, YOU ARE THE DOUCHEBAG. Awaiting some witty response.....
  • Options

<< <i>Why should i have to hunt him down? He entered into the contract on his own....................you must be a pay when you feel like it guy too, huh?

How long should i wait for payment before selling or relisting? Should i wait 15, 25, 37, 55 days??? >>

I posted "Interesting..." a bit earlier and without saying it, I figured this would come out. Reading between the lines, it sounds like the item IS still available, just not for the original winning bidder.

Is it possible that the OP (seller) was not happy with the final price of the item and plans to relist it? That would be the ONLY reason that I can think of to refund payment stating "the item is no longer available for sale" when, in fact, it appears that the card IS available and will be offered again for sale.

onebamafan, please let me know your eBay ID as you sound like a seller that I would prefer to avoid (regardless of the fact that I pay promptly upon completion of an auction)...
  • Options
    Please post your ebay id so that I and others can avoid your auctions
    Thank You!
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    I lean toward the OP. If you buy something, pay for it on the seller's terms. If you can't, for whatever reason, it is your responsibility to communicate that. This is just my opinion, boys. I love being a buyer on Ebay. Seller? Not so much. image
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I'm with Onebamafan on this one. Terms are stated, buyer never paid or communicated, deserves a NPBA.

I give buyers 15 days to pay. No reminders are ever sent, as they receive an invoice from ebay now when the auction closes, and get one from me too. Two invoices are plenty.

A seller shouldn't have to ask or reach out to the buyer for payment. Those deadbeats get blocked.

Buyers who get NPBA filed shouldn't be allowed to give negs to sellers. The seller did nothing wrong. That's what wrong with ebay now. A one way street where a seller's rep is exposed to deadbeats or scammers. Seller gets a neg. yet did nothing wrong.

An immediate payment required as others have posted might be the solution to these problems. I typically like to give buyers some time to possibly buy other items from me over the course of a 7-10 day time span.

Isn't there problems with combined shipping on the immediate payment required aspect, if a seller charges a $1 for each addl. item? How does it work with the immediate payment required if you don't offer free shipping? Curious about this since I've never tried it as a seller.
  • Options
    How didnt the seller do anything wrong? The buyer paid, within 10 days, and got his payment rejected. Sounds like someone was expecting more for their item.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Why would an Ebay buyer take 10 days or more to pay for an item he/she won? I think the OP did nothing wrong filing the claim.

I can't believe some of the BS you sellers have to put up with.
  • Options
    "...Isn't there problems with combined shipping on the immediate payment required aspect, if a seller charges a $1 for each addl. item? How does it work with the immediate payment required if you don't offer free shipping? Curious about this since I've never tried it as a seller. .."

//////////////////////

EBAY said a solution would probably be here this year.

With BINs, it is easiest to use "free" shipping and just
    add the costs into the price.

• Options

<< <i>How didnt the seller do anything wrong? The buyer paid, within 10 days, and got his payment rejected. Sounds like someone was expecting more for their item. >>

I offer "free" shipping, so it doesn't apply to me.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I'm with the OP as well. If I buy a Buy It Now I will pay right away or as soon as an invoice is received. Ten days is freaking ridiculous. Why tie up a seller's stuff for that time?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Auction in question.

A seller's TOS do not matter. eBay's do.

I agree, the buyer should have paid quicker (or communicated a delay), but you can't sweat the small stuff... especially as an eBay seller.

Snorto~
  • Options
    Based on toolhaus/goofbay, the OP has been an
    excellent seller for 10 years.

This is the first recorded problem.

While I would NOT risk getting NEGd by raising heck over
    a tiny-money sale, each seller is free to make their own
    decisions about how they want to run their biznez.

IMO, buyers should not be allowed to leave NEGs just because
    they are mad that a seller filed a permitted NPB.

But, sellers assume the risk of such NEGs when they file NPBs.

EBAY now has a FB withdrawal system that can be utilized by
    willing sellers and buyers.

• Options

<< <i>Auction in question.

A seller's TOS do not matter. eBay's do.

I agree, the buyer should have paid quicker (or communicated a delay), but you can't sweat the small stuff... especially as an eBay seller.

Snorto~ >>

This is a PSA 10 image
  • Options

<< <i>This is a PSA 10 image >>

/////////////////////////////

That is, obviously, an error by the seller, but it would
    have been grounds for the buyer to NOT complete
    the sale and avoid a NPB strike.

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Out of many thousands of transactions on ebay, I had numerous buyers that took well over 10 days to pay!

2. After 10 days, I would send a 2nd invoice.

3. After 21 days, I would send a message (and yes, a 3rd invoice) to the buyer, the message would say, "I have sent you 3 invoices with no response or payment and if payment is NOT received within the next 7 days, I would have NO CHOICE but to report "this non-payment activity" to ebay, and leave negative feedback, (i.e., "3 invoices and one month later, and still no payment!).

4. I would then try one last time (a message and another invoice), letting the buyer know that this last message and invoice is a courtesy, and the buyer has 24 hours to make payment.

I only had to do this a few times over many years. I've had plenty of buyers paying me late, but most come through "better late than never", some after some real prodding!

Good luck getting ebay to remove that negative feedback!

rd

• Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    Couple of thoghts on the matter....

1.) Sometimes people forget they won an auction or are out of towqn on vacation/business. 10 days is not unreasonable unless YOU drastically need the money.

2.) Is is worth getting bent out of shape over $20 from a mental health standpont?

3.) Is < $20 worth losing a potential customer who could become a regular source of income for years to come? If you had shown some flexibility, this buyer may have taken that as a positive and brought more and more business to you over the years. In the small business world as a general rule of thumb 80% of the business comes from 20% of the customers.

We all know eBay is not known for customer satisfaction from both the buyer and seller standpoint. Using their TOS to the letter is a sure way to end dissatisfied as you found out with the negative slapped on your feedback record. Be flexible and you will be able to survive on eBay.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Whats up with you saying that its a PSA 10? I find that a total man weed move !
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    $16.51 that's a lot money to get your nads in a uproar over. image
  • Options
    Was a payment reminder EVER sent?

I'm not condoning the seller's delay in paying, but all of this drama over an item that was less than $20.00 AND an item that was catagorized as a PSA 10 even though it was an ungraded card.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    No the buyer is not a doucehbag.

Steve
    Good for you.