Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Sacagawea Varieties and the Native American Dollar Craze

I am becoming more and more confused with all of the partial edge, missing edge, weak edge, Pos A and B native dollars.

My question is, am I the only one that thinks these should have there own registry category. I think it is perfectly fine to include them in the Complete Sac set as it is a COMPLETE set but it seems incorrect to include them in all of the Sac Dollars categories and it wouldn't hurt to have a separate complete Sac set for only the original reverse coins..

A "Major Varieties" Native American set with one of each date and position would be fine along with a separate complete Native American set that includes all the partials, weaks, and mels.

What do you guys think. Maybe we can have some input from the Presidential collectors as they are familiar with the vast array of varieties.

Comments

• Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭
    I agree!!!

Casabrown
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, from my Presidential Dollars experience, having ANY WEAK, PARTIAL, or MISSING edge lettering coin in a Complete Variety Set is a bit patronizing since the coins are not considered varieties but errors.

As a matter of fact, these are the ONLY errors which are allowed IN a registry set!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    As for the Pres Sets.

The Masses voted for
    Major Variety Sets to contain - Missing Edge & Double Edge Lettering Coins
    Complete sets - All of the Major Varietes PLUS the addition of Partial Edge And Weak Edge.

The Sac sets need to include the already existing varieties in these sets as well.

What about the "Flaming Eagle" - That is better than a Weak Edge Lettering Variety!

Welcome to the World as the Presidential Dollar collectors know it.

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Unless it is a Cherrypicker VARIETY it should NOT be included in a Complete Variety Set (IMHO).
  • Options

<< <i>As for the Pres Sets.

The Masses voted for
    Major Variety Sets to contain - Missing Edge & Double Edge Lettering Coins
    Complete sets - All of the Major Varietes PLUS the addition of Partial Edge And Weak Edge. image >>

Don't get me wrong Jim, I don't mind the fact that all those WEL, DEL, and MEL coins are in the Presidential Complete Variety sets but I do mind that it costs $50 to get one graded under the "Error" service instead of a $14 Modern Fee plus $24 "Variety Attribution" fee!!

If they are going to call them ERROR's and charge submission fee's accordingly, then get them out of the sets! Otherwise call them Varieties and charge fee's for Variety Attribution!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Lee,

I totally agree on the grading cost should be a variety charge not an error charge.

I guess the regular fee could save us a couple of dollars getting them slabbed.

Most of the Sac collectors are just getting used to the A Pos & B Pos AND now all of the variables with MEL, DEL, PEL & WEL versions too!

• Options
    Well Jim, I feel for them!

My inventory lists go as follows for each Presidential Dollar:

Position A
    Position A, Satin Finish
    Position A Partial Edge Lettering
    Position A Partial Edge Lettering, Satin Finish
    Position A Weak Edge Lettering
    Position A Weak Edge Lettering, Satin Finish
    Position B
    Position B, Satin Finish
    Position B Partial Edge Lettering
    Position B Partial Edge Lettering, Satin Finish
    Position B Weak Edge Lettering
    Position B Weak Edge Lettering, Satin Finish
    --
    Missing Edge Lettering
    Missing Edge Lettering, Satin Finish
    Double Edge Lettering Overlapped
    Double Edge Lettering Overlapped, Satin Finish
    Double Edge Lettering Inverted
    Double Edge Lettering Inverted, Satin Finish

This is for EACH coin AND Mint Mark in the series as all are distinct possibilities.

I left off the "Out of Sequence Edge Lettering" coins since those have only occured in the Jefferson Proofs.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    Unless it is a Cherrypicker VARIETY it should NOT be included in a Complete Variety Set (IMHO).

I must respectfully disagree with the above. Just because it is not included in the Cherrypickers Guide does not mean it is not a variety. Some varieties dont make it in for whatever reason whether that be nobody bothers alerting the authors to it or nobody can find an example.

I wholeheartedly hope that PCGS recognizes the "Flaming Wings" Sac and includes it in the Sac set.
    I would also like to see the MEL Sac included at some point.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Unless it is a Cherrypicker VARIETY it should NOT be included in a Complete Variety Set (IMHO).

I must respectfully disagree with the above. Just because it is not included in the Cherrypickers Guide does not mean it is not a variety. Some varieties dont make it in for whatever reason whether that be nobody bothers alerting the authors to it or nobody can find an example.

I wholeheartedly hope that PCGS recognizes the "Flaming Wings" Sac and includes it in the Sac set.
    I would also like to see the MEL Sac included at some point." imageimageimage

As long as we are putting in requests for Dollar Varieties to be put in The Complete Varieties Dollar Set I would like to put in my MONTHLY request for:

THE 1971-D RDV-006 aka "FRIENDLY EAGLE" Eisenhower Dollar in The Eisenhower Dollar Complete & MAJOR Varieties Sets. imageimageimageimageimage

JMHO, GrandAm imageimageimageimageimage
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    I think the group for the most part would accept an all in attitude with the complete sets.

The "Friendly Eagle Variety" FEV should be in the IKE complete set.

The "Flaming Eagle" should be in the Sac Dollar Complete set.

The MEL SAC Dollar will be included in the complete set. A request can be made by the lucky owner of the coin and it will be in.......
    ================================================================
    Lee said....
    My inventory lists go as follows for each Presidential Dollar:

Position A
    Position A, Satin Finish
    Position A Partial Edge Lettering
    Position A Partial Edge Lettering, Satin Finish
    Position A Weak Edge Lettering
    Position A Weak Edge Lettering, Satin Finish
    Position B
    Position B, Satin Finish
    Position B Partial Edge Lettering
    Position B Partial Edge Lettering, Satin Finish
    Position B Weak Edge Lettering
    Position B Weak Edge Lettering, Satin Finish
    --
    Missing Edge Lettering
    Missing Edge Lettering, Satin Finish
    Double Edge Lettering Overlapped
    Double Edge Lettering Overlapped, Satin Finish
    Double Edge Lettering Inverted
    Double Edge Lettering Inverted, Satin Finish

This is for EACH coin AND Mint Mark in the series as all are distinct possibilities.

I left off the "Out of Sequence Edge Lettering" coins since those have only occured in the Jefferson Proofs.
    =============================================================

Lee,
    Most of these Do not exist in very many coins.
    There is only 1 Monroe Business Strike Dbl Edge Lettering & 1 Satin Monroe Dbl Edge Lettering.

As for the Weak Edge Lettering. I just got a couple of Harrison Weaks. First weak Edges since the Monroes.

Happy Hunting!
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am becoming more and more confused with all of the partial edge, missing edge, weak edge, Pos A and B native dollars.

My question is, am I the only one that thinks these should have there own registry category. I think it is perfectly fine to include them in the Complete Sac set as it is a COMPLETE set but it seems incorrect to include them in all of the Sac Dollars categories and it wouldn't hurt to have a separate complete Sac set for only the original reverse coins..

A "Major Varieties" Native American set with one of each date and position would be fine along with a separate complete Native American set that includes all the partials, weaks, and mels.

What do you guys think. Maybe we can have some input from the Presidential collectors as they are familiar with the vast array of varieties. >>

MY thoughts would be that a set should be made up as "Native American Sac's" by itself as well as being included into the Sac set as present. This may help NEW Sac (Native) collectors get interested in the series. My .02c
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    yes, i agree.

Nice to have you back, XXX!
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

<< <i>yes, i agree.

Nice to have you back, XXX! >>

image Thanks