Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1985 Provigo Patrick Roy- finally got it after 18 years of searching!

Well boys, here's a story about never giving up on the search. After first learning about it in an annual Beckett hockey book circa 1991 I have finally received this 1985-86 Provigo Patrick Roy puffy sticker. This (let alone other singles or sets) NEVER comes up and when it does the sticker backing is usually missing. This Roy, along with both sets, are as mint as they were in '85. (Provigo, by the way, is a grocery store chain in Quebec.)

Despite the search I have never seen one up close until I received them today. They're only about 42mm X 58mm and despite the "puffy" name they're pretty hard.

This is one of Patrick Roy's earliest issues (along with a 1985-86 Canadiens postcard). I don't think PSA has ever graded any of these but I sure hope they do because I'm sending it in with the group sub.

Comments

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    No secret that I hate hockey, but that is actually really cool. The history behind the item and the search just adds more pizazz.
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    Sweet pickup! It's such a great feeling to be able to check something off your list after searching for it for years!
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Very Nice and Congrats! imageimage

PoppaJ
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Congratulations, Very cool story!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful. Fine work!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Nice . Its really neat when you here about someone locating something that they've been searching long for .

I have a few white whales that I have given up looking for . Maybe there is still hope , in the card world .
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I never heard of those, nice and congrats.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I'd tip a Labatt Bleue to your success if I had one.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all of your comments, guys. One question, though. These stickers are pretty thick-- at least the thickness of 4 or 5 regular cards. Does PSA have a holder that would fit it? I know they've developed one for the thicker jersey/bat/cut signature cards but I wonder if even that will be sufficient.
  • Options
    Congrats! I know the feeling myself after finding a set I had been searching for for over a decade.

Puffy stickers were so rad back in the day.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    CONGRATS! What a find! Glad you never gave up.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Were they intended to be stuck to those boards or were the boards some kind of sales display?

I remember those sorts of stickers when sticker were popular - early to mid 80's. Never have seen them with sports figures though - Care Bears maybe.

Nice find and congratulations!
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think PSA has ever graded any of these but I sure hope they do because I'm sending it in with the group sub. >>

Oh boy. I feel "Problem Self" and then 45+ days on this subimage

Seriously, very cool pickup. I can't imagine looking for something for that long. image
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Grats, always nice to see someone find their pot of gold!
  • Options

<< <i>Were they intended to be stuck to those boards or were the boards some kind of sales display? >>

Yes, they were to be stuck onto the boards. The boards can fold up presumably so one could say you had a sticker "book". Very '80s! The funny thing is there was another Nordiques set-- with the stickers stuck to the board-- that sold for $20 the night I won this one. I won this one for $9.99. Go figure.

The one thing I don't know about this set was its distribution method (i.e. was one sticker given out to each customer or or was it through some coupon promotion?)
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for all of your comments, guys. One question, though. These stickers are pretty thick-- at least the thickness of 4 or 5 regular cards. Does PSA have a holder that would fit it? I know they've developed one for the thicker jersey/bat/cut signature cards but I wonder if even that will be sufficient. >>

contact Carol J
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    As it turned out this sticker was too thick for any of PSA's holders. Is there anyone else who might have a holder that can house particularly thick cards?
  • Options
    Ooops, I better get to bed.

Fargin chitfaced
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    +1 for puffy stickers, wonder if they ever made cards with GOOGLY eyes?

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Nice I love Hockey. Bill why do you hate Hockey?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice I love Hockey. Bill why do you hate Hockey? >>

He won't admit it but he's mad there isn't a NHL team in Louisiana. imageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice I love Hockey. Bill why do you hate Hockey? >>

He won't admit it but he's mad there isn't a NHL team in Louisiana. imageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage >>

I thought it was he always got picked last in gym floor hockey so they made him play netimage
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As it turned out this sticker was too thick for any of PSA's holders. Is there anyone else who might have a holder that can house particularly thick cards? >>

BGS does, I believe.

Tabe
  • Options
    I'll give them a try. Thanks.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Puffy stickers are the best. Scratch-n-sniff are a close second.
  • Options
    Scratch and sniff is way cool then puffy.

What's the raw entertainment value in a puffy sticker....5, maybe 10 seconds. A cool scratch and sniff....you can get a minute or two out of it? Unless of course it is a scratch and sniff from that 90s Ren and Skimpy set.

PS: Nice find. Starting to thinking I will never find my whales.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    The age-old puffy vs. scratch-n-sniff debate rages on......

Seriously Red, nice pickup and great price. What was your snipe set at, $200? $500? $15,000?
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    it's not nearly as thick as some of the monster thick memorabilia cards psa has graded, kind of weird, i'm pretty sure bgs can, just shoot them a email.
  • Options
    BGS wrote that they would. I also asked SGC and am waiting for their reply.

My top-all was set at $125 and won it for $75.

Now I see another set just sold for $35.

My Roy is nicer. That's all I can say.
  • Options
    The saga finally ends. BGS gave it a 9. Probably the only one graded.

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    not a bad grade on that card at all, congrats
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Nice job, way to be persistent.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Way to go!!