Options

Crisis spurs spike in 'suburban survivalists'

KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Crisis spurs spike in 'suburban survivalists'

jmski52, I never said you're all alone image

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe someday those who aren't prepared and the media will realize preparedness is an obligation of EVERY American, and not something out of the ordinary. A rational, pragmatic adult has homeowners insurance, auto insurance, life insurance, health insurance. They do this because they want to feel protected in case of the unexpected.

Likewise, all rational, pragmatic, responsible adults should maintain a minimum of 6 months food, water, medicine, and sufficient fuel, clothing, etc. to get them through any unexpected disruption. Not just a terrorist attack or mass civilian unrest, which are so unlikely as to be nearly statistically insignificant. But for much less glamorous yet more probable reasons, like prolonged illness, unemployment, severe economic downturn, fuel shortages (and corresponding supply disruptions), natural disasters, and any combination thereof.

Just think of how much less government we'd need and how much more resilient we'd be as a people if every American had their own bases covered. Regardless of social standing, political persuasion, religious views or education level. We all need to accept responsibility for ourselves. Preparedness is rational. It's easy. It is relatively inexpensive. It's patriotic. And it provides you a wonderful feeling of satisfaction and relief.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    I am actually less concerned now than I was last summer... when diesel fuel (for transportation of goods and my home's heat source) was $5 and seemingly on its way to $10. That being said, I would probably think differently if I and 25% of my town was unemployed.
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

> I would probably think differently if I and 25% of my town was unemployed

Bingo. Not mentioning the 'm' word, I should probably disclose the county we're now living in, outside Nashville, has the 7th highest per capita income in the USA. We're two miles from Dolly Parton's house. The economy has slowed here, obviously, but the worst of the recession is still far away. When I'm out on the roads it usually takes more than both hands to count the number of Hummers and Jaguars I see. Sometimes I think I must be the only one who doesn't coast around in a BMW or Mercedes image
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Whew... hope they all stick to grinding their own wheat, and don't decide to live off fishing. image
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>Maybe someday those who aren't prepared and the media will realize preparedness is an obligation of EVERY American, and not something out of the ordinary. A rational, pragmatic adult has homeowners insurance, auto insurance, life insurance, health insurance. They do this because they want to feel protected in case of the unexpected.

Likewise, all rational, pragmatic, responsible adults should maintain a minimum of 6 months food, water, medicine, and sufficient fuel, clothing, etc. to get them through any unexpected disruption. Not just a terrorist attack or mass civilian unrest, which are so unlikely as to be nearly statistically insignificant. But for much less glamorous yet more probable reasons, like prolonged illness, unemployment, severe economic downturn, fuel shortages (and corresponding supply disruptions), natural disasters, and any combination thereof.

Just think of how much less government we'd need and how much more resilient we'd be as a people if every American had their own bases covered. Regardless of social standing, political persuasion, religious views or education level. We all need to accept responsibility for ourselves. Preparedness is rational. It's easy. It is relatively inexpensive. It's patriotic. And it provides you a wonderful feeling of satisfaction and relief. >>

Just a thought Weiss, on one of your comments. Although I don't disagree with anything you write in this post (and most of your posts in general), there is one point that is, if thought out rationally, wrong with it, IMO.

"A rational, pragmatic adult has homeowners insurance, auto insurance, life insurance, health insurance. They do this because they want to feel protected in case of the unexpected. " At face value, this seems like the right thing to do. I personally also have 3 of the four, although I have downgraded my auto to the bare minimum (plus uninsured motorist) after paying off my vehicle - and my health insurance is really a joke anymore ( I work for a small company)- unless something catastrophic was to happen. Homeowners insurance protects your mortgage company - unless you are one of the few who own your home. Auto insurance protects your lender, unless you own your car ( and notice, as soon as I paid mine off - and I am sure I am not alone - full coverage = gone). Health insurance - protects the providers of medicine.

Why do you think AIG (the biggest Insurance company) was bailed out? It wasn't to protect you and me.

All the big companies can file for bankruptcy, hell the government is promoting it in several cases today. If every American decided to do that (which congress has recently made more difficult by the way) as a form of protest - how do you think that would turn out?
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Just a thought Weiss, on one of your comments... >>

Points taken!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame