Home Sports Talk

NCAA Baseball tournament set to begin

Regionals were announced today and HERE is the bracket.

Top 8 national seeds:
1. Texas
2. Cal State Fullerton
3. LSU
4. North Carolina
5. Arizona State
6. UC Irvine
7. Oklahoma
8. Florida

Florida and OU are questionable 7 and 8 seeds. Florida St for sure should have been a top 8 team, as well as Rice and maybe Ole Miss. Oh well, things should play there way out as the tournament goes on.

Toughest regional is UC-Irvine's for sure. Strasburg and SDSU, the defending national champions Freson St, and the ACC tourney champs UVA, make this the group to watch. Hopefully ESPN will carry this regional.

Comments

• GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    The FSU and UC-Irvine regionals will be broadcast by ESPN/ESPNU.

Most of you will be able to get your first glimpse at Strasburg on Friday night, 7 p.m. (ET) on ESPNU when he faces off against Virginia.
    Tourney starts today at Noon on ESPNU with games going all the way until 11 tonight.
  • GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

<< <i>GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

You guys cut it a little close there today man...
  • Did you not see the SEC tourney? Lost 1st game to Vandy then had to fight all the way back from the losers bracket then had to beat Georgia twice. Both games were shortened to 7 innings. The second game was called with the score 3-2. The 1st game was called due to the mercy rule. image
    SDSU vs. Virginia just started and is now on ESPN Classic, due to the weather delay in Tally.

The Aztecs bat first, but Strasburg will take the mound after that. If you've never seen him pitch, I'd suggest you make an attempt to catch some of this game! He should be tested by ACC tourney champion Virginia, who has done a very good job of beating up on top ranking pitchers this season.
    Strasburg takes the Loss but it was hardly a bad performance.

7 IP
    8 H
    0 BB
    15 Ks
    2ER
  • Strasburg is the #1 pick regardless of how he pitches in the college WS.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    goot's time of the year!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• smetsmet Posts: 359 ✭✭
    I'm enjoying the Florida State/Ohio State game on tv now. FSU is up 20-0 with one out in the 3rd with a runner on 1st. FSU has hit a team record 10 doubles already and they're still hammering away.
    Make that 32-0 FSU after an 11 run 5th.
    With Regional play wrapping up last night, the Super Regional schedule is now set. Games begin Friday and EVERY game of each best of 3 series will be broadcast on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU.

AUSTIN SUPER REGIONAL
    No. 1 Texas (44-13-1) vs. Texas Christian (39-16)

BATON ROUGE SUPER REGIONAL
    No. 3 LSU (49-16) vs. Rice (43-16)

CHAPEL HILL SUPER REGIONAL
    No. 4 North Carolina (45-16) vs. East Carolina (46-18)

FULLERTON SUPER REGIONAL
    No. 2 Cal State Fullerton (45-14) vs. Louisville (47-16)

GAINESVILLE SUPER REGIONAL
    No. 8 Florida (42-20) vs. Southern Miss (38-24)

OXFORD SUPER REGIONAL
    Mississippi (43-18) vs. Virginia (46-12-1)

TALLAHASSEE SUPER REGIONAL
    Florida State (45-16) vs. Arkansas (37-22)

TEMPE SUPER REGIONAL
    No. 5 Arizona State (47-12) vs. Clemson (44-20)

Here is the TV Schedule
  • Goot, I think you and I are the only ones that seem to care. How sad. College baseball is awesome to watch even if your team isn't in it. Players actually care about the outcome and seem to give it their all on every single play or at bat.

BTW, this scares me a little:

No. 3 LSU (49-16) vs. Rice (43-16)

• AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    My longtime wish has been for my hometown school and the university I graduated from to both make the World Series--once again, though, they have to face each other for spot in the baseball dance. I can't even watch the Super Regional in my own backyard as the only two teams I root for have to fight it out. DOH!

On the other hand--at least one of my teams is guaranteed a spot in the World Series.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.

<< <i>Goot, I think you and I are the only ones that seem to care. How sad. College baseball is awesome to watch even if your team isn't in it. Players actually care about the outcome and seem to give it their all on every single play or at bat.

No. 3 LSU (49-16) vs. Rice (43-16) >>

Yeah, my Bulls were a bubble team this year and unfortunately didn't make it, but I always enjoy watching the tourney anyways. It's cool that it's kind of a niche sport but it'd be great to get some more support. ESPN needs to air a College "Game of the week" every friday night or something, featuring some of the big name teams. If people could see the crowds of 10k that pack places like LSU, Arkansas, and Ole Miss, or even the 6K rowdy FSU fans that have all their weird traditions (singing, chants, etc), I can guarantee people would start following it a lot more.

BTW..hate to break it to ya man, but I'll be cheering for Rice in this one. I made a thread about it when he originally signed with them, but one of my buddies is the backup catcher for Rice. He's not doin too shabby either, normally if he isn't behind the plate he's DH-ing. Last I checked he's hitting about .315 or so, which is pretty dang good for a freshman. Craig Manuel

<< <i>My longtime wish has been for my hometown school and the university I graduated from to both make the World Series--once again, though, they have to face each other for spot in the baseball dance. I can't even watch the Super Regional in my own backyard as the only two teams I root for have to fight it out. DOH!

On the other hand--at least one of my teams is guaranteed a spot in the World Series. >>

If memory serves me right, you're referencing the UNC-ECU series???

ECU pulled off one heck of a comeback last night to top South Carolina!

<< <i>Goot, I think you and I are the only ones that seem to care. How sad. College baseball is awesome to watch even if your team isn't in it. Players actually care about the outcome and seem to give it their all on every single play or at bat.

No. 3 LSU (49-16) vs. Rice (43-16) >>

If Rice plays the way that they did against Xavier, it might not turn out so well for LSU.
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Good memory Goot.

I grew up in Greenville (ECU) and then got my degree from UNC and have been working at UNC the last 15 years.

All the previous UNC-ECU matchups have been in the opening regionals (last time was 2007)--this is the first time they will meet in a Super Regional.

ECU's comeback versus South Carolina was awesome.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.

<< <i>Good memory Goot.

I grew up in Greenville (ECU) and then got my degree from UNC and have been working at UNC the last 15 years.
    >>

Oh man, thats gonna be tough for you! I know ECU took a midweek game from UNC earlier this season.....should be a fun series!

There are some great matchups in the Super Regionals this year. ECU-UNC, FSU-Arkansas, Ole Miss-UVA, and LSU-Rice are some of the best matchups, IMO, but all should provide some fun baseball.
    Hopefully some of you caught the Ole Miss-Virginia game. Ole Miss tied it up in the bottom of the 9th, and goes onto win in 12 innings on a walkoff homerun.

LSU and Rice play at 7 and Cal State Fullerton and Louisville play at 11:30 tonight.

BTW: Akbar, there are a few local guys on ECU's roster too. Jared Avchen, the starting catcher, and Chris Heston, a top pitcher, are guys that played in our district. My mom used to work with Mrs. Avchen back in the day.
  • Rice got Spanky Spankertonned yesterday.

I have nothing else to add. Just wanted everyone to know I am having a BBQ today and have 60 pounds of crawfish, taters, corn and beer. LSU game comes on at 4 CST.

<< <i>Rice got Spanky Spankertonned yesterday.

I have nothing else to add. Just wanted everyone to know I am having a BBQ today and have 60 pounds of crawfish, taters, corn and beer. LSU game comes on at 4 CST. >>

Did you ever make it to a game at the New Alex Box?

BTW: Great game in Tallahassee. I know this is probably getting old since I've already said it a few times but another hometown boy, Jason Stidham, just put the Noles up on top of the Razorbacks in the 9th.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I am a Cali guy so rooting for Fullerton.
    With 7 out of 8 filled for the College World Series, we're now getting down to the wire. TCU and Texas play the 3rd and final game of their series tonight, with the winner making the trip to Omaha.

(Official schedule not released yet, but these are the pairings. The only question is which games will be Sat. or Sun., but due to past experience, etc. this is likely the schedule. I'll update if it's not.)

Sat:

#2 Cal St Fullerton vs. Arkansas
    #3 LSU vs. Virginia

Sun:

#1 Texas/TCU vs. Southern Miss
    #5 Arizona St vs. #4 UNC

Remember, this is double elimination, with the 2 winners of each bracket facing off in the College World Series final, best of 3 series.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am a Cali guy so rooting for Fullerton. >>

Me too. How bout a CS Fullerton vs ASU final. That would be cool.

<< <i>

<< <i>I am a Cali guy so rooting for Fullerton. >>

Me too. How bout a CS Fullerton vs ASU final. That would be cool. >>

Definitely possible, ASU looked great vs. Clemson and CS Fullerton didn't even break a sweat vs. Louisville.

Here's the official schedule for the first two days of play in Omaha.

Saturday, June 13
    Game 1 - 1 p.m. (ESPN HD)
    (V) Arkansas (39-22) vs. (H) No. 2 Cal St. Fullerton (47-14)

Game 2 - 6 p.m. (ESPN HD)
    (V) Virginia (48-13-1) vs. (H) No. 3 LSU (51-16)

Sunday, June 14
    Game 3 - 1 p.m. (ESPN HD)
    (V) No. 5 Arizona St. (49-12) vs. (H) No. 4 North Carolina (47-16)

Game 4 - 6 p.m. (ESPN2 HD)
    (V) Southern Miss. (40-24) vs. (H) No. 1 Texas (46-14-1)

My predicted schedule was close!
    The Arizona St-UNC game, on paper, looks like it will probably be the best game of the opening round. If both teams start their aces, people will get a chance to watch two of the top 10-15 draft picks in todays MLB draft square off on college baseballs biggest stage.

Arizona St
    Mike Leake (jr RHP)
    16-1
    7 complete games
    132.2 IP
    150 K
    21 BB
    .175 Opp BA
    1.36 ERA

UNC
    Alex Whte (jr. RHP) (stats aren't as gaudy, but the kid is filthy)
    8-4
    1 CG
    98 IP
    109 K
    41 BB
    .234 Opp BA
    4.13 ERA

As of now Baseball America's latest mock draft 4.0, they have White going 7th to the Braves (!!!!) and Leake going 13th to Oakland.

This is gonna be fun image
    Opening round of the CWS starts tomorrow. If any of you care to get more insight on it, BA has offered a great preview of each team. Here is the LINK for that.

My team obviously isn't in it anymore so I'm really just hoping for some great baseball. However, I really would like to see either ASU, Fullerton, or UNC win it. ASU hasn't won it since '81 and I'd really like to see them back on top. Plus, I've become a big Mike Leake/ Josh Spence fan over the past few months. Fullerton is mainly just because they're a great program, and the team this year plays an amazing style of baseball. They're fast, hit well, their pitching is amazing. It's just a really fun team to watch. Then there's UNC who I've just always liked as a school and I would love to see them finally get a baseball title after being so close tha past 3 years.
  • One more game!!

Last night's game was awesome!
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One more game!!

Last night's game was awesome! >>

I missed it Bill, what was the score??

BTW, it's only going to be in the high 60's here today and that's with no humidity. lol

Brian
  • Score was LSU 4 Texas 6 going into the 9th. Two run double by LSU with 2 outs. LSU wins on RBI single in the 11th.
    Texas evens things up tonight. Do or die tomorrow night for both clubs. If Texas wins, they'll also assert themselves as THE team of 2000-2009 (the 00's), with 3 national titles, breaking the current tie with Oregon St.

Bill, I don't know if you go on any college baseball boards, but with all the LSU vs. Texas smack talk over the past month or so, this series is the icing on the cake!