Home Sports Talk

Lidge and Papelbon

DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
For President and Vice-President.

Signed,

NY FANS
STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Great comeback win tonight for the Mets against a quality closer.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there's one thing I hate today, it's happy NY fans. image
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>If there's one thing I hate today, it's happy NY fans. image >>

Steve ... what the heck happened to Lidge this year? Have not followed his pitching, but his stats are unreal. From LIGHTS OUT last year to this? Is he hurt?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This win is the satrt of a Mets run that will leave Philly fans wondering what happened!!

Sillies can hit, but they can't win with that pitching staff.

BAM!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Charlie needs to pull the trigger on Lidge.

JS
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>If there's one thing I hate today, it's happy NY fans. image >>

• ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the same old Lidge we remembered in Houston. One year he's unhittable, that filthy slider has the right bite and he looks like the best closer in the game, and the next year he's lost it and gets lit up like Vegas at night.

And just like those Houston days, he always says he's fine... nothing's wrong... he'll get 'em the next day.... and continues to suck all season.

My hunch? He may be tipping pitches. It seems that when he gets in trouble, it's when hitters lay off that slider and sit on the fastball. The slider almost always winds up as a ball, near the dirt, so if they lay off that pitch the batter can usually look for a fastball. But when Lidge is off, hitters show an uncanny knack for laying off the slider, as if they know it's coming. I think the same has occasionally been true of Randy Johnson -- some have suggested when he hit a bad streak that he was tipping pitches and hitters knew when the slider was coming and when the fastball was coming. Pitchers that rely on the fastball-slider combo (such as Lidge and Johnson) are in BIG trouble when they tip their sliders.

The guy has the stuff to be a Hall of Fame closer if he could only harness it consistently. But he can't. He couldn't in Houston and it became obvious a change in scenery was needed. He looked like vintage "Lights Out" for Philly last year, and this year he looks like the Lidge that outstayed his welcome in Houston.