Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Low grades, great eye appeal

I got this one back from PSA today, best looking 2 I've seen. There's a surface indentation on the front.

Got any that look way better than the number on the holder?

Comments

• Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Maybe not way better than the grade, but I like them:

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe this card doesnt fall into the criteria for "low grade" but I sold my 7 for $800 and bought this for less than a 1/4 of that...

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

<< <i>Got any that look way better than the number on the holder? >>

Boy, you're just setting me up there. My apologies to everyone who's sick of my damn scans.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Here's my contribution (sorry I keep posting the same cards image)
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    I thought this had decent eye appeal for a PSA 1 and fit into the budget nicely:

Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    everyone - killer cards. I'll take a psa 4 50's HOF'er over a PSA 9 common any day of the week for the same $$. I guess, after being around the graded game (and here) since 02, I still don't understand the registry.

Take for instance this guy I won today, for $50. That would get you what, 4-8 early 50's commons in the same grade, or 7-10 60's commons, etc.

I'll take the 62 Aaron.

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    You guys are just reminding me about the biggest drawback of collecting graded cards. If a card looks good, it looks good. You don't need a PSA sticker to tell you that.

Other than highly-counterfeited cards, fakes, etc., I prefer to buy raw ones, it's a lot cheaper plus you get to hold the card and are not biased by a company who determines your card is only a "2"--which leads you to notice the flaws rather than its attributes.

Again, there is a time and place for PSA, but overall if you rely on a company--even a reputable one like PSA--to inform you that a card is low grade then you might not only lose out on some real nice cards, but will have a much lighter wallet image

In short, PSA is a valuable asset to weeding out fakes, etc. but in terms of its other uses, it has encouraged hobbyists to think of cards more along the terms of a high-risk, high stakes speculation, dare I say "investment."
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    beautiful looking cards especially the spanky
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    Here are a couple I really dig from my collection which are not high grade....

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    That '63 Bob Gibson is stunning and that '53 Topps Reese is very nice as well! Great stuff.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW! That '63 Gibson looks 2 - 2.5 grades higher. Paper wrinkle?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    When I sent this in I thought it was going to grade VERY high. I had no idea how they graded this issue. The only thing I can guess is that since the perforation between the stamps runs into part of the picture they knock the hell out of the grade!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>WOW! That '63 Gibson looks 2 - 2.5 grades higher. Paper wrinkle? >>

That's my best guess. There is something on the back that looks like it may be a wrinkle, but it's hard to tell if that's it or there's something else I can't see through the slab. My other theory is that it may have to do with the multiple fisheyes in the inset photo... maybe the submitter asked for no qualifiers and it got hammered down to 5.5. I'll likely crack it out and resubmit it some day.

Also wanted to add that Cwazzy's Campy and Reese are phenomal, though I think I've told him that before. image

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    In my most recent sub I though this was one of the top 3 to recieve a 10.

• Options

<< <i>Also wanted to add that Cwazzy's Campy and Reese are phenomal, though I think I've told him that before. image >>

I LOVE that Campy. If he paid a "4" price he got a GREAT deal!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Wow, love them T206s, Ty Cobb and the George Davis.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    One of my favorite all time cards.

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    From my childhood collection:

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

this card looks great
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

did resub and it came back a PSA 2
  • Options
  • Options
    All these cards really got me thinking. Why do i need to have everything high grade . There are some beautiful cards there. I
    could get 5 or 6 cards in 4 , 5 , or 6 or just 1 card in 8 or 9. Seems kinda foolish on my part . I dont have a huge budget to spend
    so it seems to me i could spend my money on a little lower grade and enjoy the cards just as much.
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>

<< <i>Also wanted to add that Cwazzy's Campy and Reese are phenomal, though I think I've told him that before. image >>

I LOVE that Campy. If he paid a "4" price he got a GREAT deal! >>

Thanks, guys! I set a new high for the grade on the Campy but still less than what a 5 runs. And I have yet to see a 5 that looks as nice.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Chris,

If you paid less than what a "5" goes for you did well! NICE CARD!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Tough beating 1's like this

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

Yeah, you can always count on Anthony to show off some low-grade cards.

Sweet card. Obviously.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Here's one that fits the bill.

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Seeing cards in this thread just confirms for me that low-mid grade cards with eye appeal will hold value just as well as any high grade example, not to mention appeal to a broader market of prospective buyers.

Very nice!

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    Nam ... that Mays looks a couple of grades better than that!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

I love that Mays. Very nice. What do you suppose is the reason for the VG grade?
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Possibly the worst travesty of a low grade with great eye appeal. MINOR back damage is to blame for the grade, but c'mon, a ONE!?!

• Options

<< <i>I love that Mays. Very nice. What do you suppose is the reason for the VG grade? >>

It has somewhat of a bend (not a crease) down the middle that runs the the whole top to bottom length of the card. I had a 1954 Bowman #66 Ted Williams with the same issue once, and it received a 4. I was hoping for a 4 on this Mays as well.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    The best looking 1 I have ever seen it even has 4 square corners.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    Nam, that Mays is sharp. Heck, I think it looks four grades better than it got!