Home Sports Talk
Options

ROY HALLADAY

DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
I am not a Blue Jays fan, but I was going thru some stats for this year and Roy Halladay is amazing!

Started 9 games and is 8-1.

Went at least 7 innings in all 9 starts.

Has given up only one earned run in 5 of his 9 starts.

Has walked only 8 batters in his 68 innings of pitching.

Has had only 1 losing season in his 12 years of pitching for the Blue Jays.

I just thought these were some amazing stats to share!!!

UPDATE
05/22/09: Pitched SEVEN innings ... gave up ZERO runs ... Walked ONE ... NO DECISION!
05/27/09: Pitched SEVEN INNINGS ... left with a 7-1 lead ... bullpen blew it and Jays lost!
06/02/09: COMPLETE GAME ... gave up 4 ER in 7th inning after team was up 6-0 ... walked 1 ... record now 9-1
06/07/09: COMPLETE GAME ... gave up ZERO runs ... ZERO walks ... record now 10-1.
06/12/09: THREE INNINGS ... gave up ONE run ... zero walks ... Hope his injury is not a major one.
STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    When he retires he will be in the Hall of Fame.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I find it amazing how many of these Al pitchers can go 7, 8 and 9 innings, I guess having the DH helps, but man its nice when your pen only
    has to pitch 1 or two innings!

Kevin

PS I have Grienke and Halladay on my FF team
  • Options
    its a shame he plays for the bluejays!
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Halladay is a beast. It seems like he's almost always the 2nd best pitcher in the league so he never quite gets the attention he deserves. I imagine playing north of the border doesn't help in that department either.
  • Options

<< <i>Halladay is a beast. It seems like he's almost always the 2nd best pitcher in the league so he never quite gets the attention he deserves. I imagine playing north of the border doesn't help in that department either. >>

NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT! If he pitched in New York EVERYBODY would know who he was!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Halladay IS the best pitcher in the majors.

There is not much more to say.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish he was wearing Halo red. I've wanted the Angels to get him for years now.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    He's got to be frustrated. I really thought he had a Cy Young-caliber season last year but he lost out to an incredibly surprising season by Cliff Lee. And even though he's already got 8 wins 1/4 of the way through this season, it looks like he could very well be overshadowed by Greinke.
  • Options
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Leaves the game after 7 with a 7-1 lead ... Bullpen blows it!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Typical!
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Halladay is amazing. 3-4 more seasons of even B+ pitching should have him in the Hall of Fame. Oddly enough, his first four major league seasons have really hampered some of his yearly averages, but a .675 winning percentage, especially on that Blue Jay team is amazing. 139-67 is awesome on what has for the most part been a second division team. He's finished in the top 5 in CYA voting 4 times and won once. If he finished this year on the pace he's on now, he'd basically be exactly where Koufax was with W-L at the same point. He doesn't have those kind of strikeout numbers, but he may be the best pitcher of 2000-2010. I'd love to hear arguments about who would be better. I suppose Oswalt and Santana are in the conversation. Who else?
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd love to hear arguments about who would be better >>

Not from me.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I find it amazing how many of these Al pitchers can go 7, 8 and 9 innings, I guess having the DH helps, but man its nice when your pen only
    has to pitch 1 or two innings!

Kevin
    >>

IF he did the same thing in the NL he would still pitch into the late innings.
  • Options

<< <i>Oddly enough, his first four major league seasons have really hampered some of his yearly averages, but a .675 winning percentage, especially on that Blue Jay team is amazing. 139-67 is awesome on what has for the most part been a second division team. >>

According to Baseballreference.com that winning percentage is good enough to place him 10th on the all-time list.
  • Options
    One tough inning ... luckily for him they were up 6-0 going into the 7th. One walk. Record now 9-1.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of things impressive about Harry "Roy" Halladay. But for me, the most impressive occurred on September 6, 2003 and April 13, 2007.

On September 6, 2003, Halladay won 1-0, while pitching TEN INNINGS, giving up 3 hits, walking 1 and striking out 5, improving his record to 22-7.

Then on April 13, 2007, Halladay won 2-1, while also pitching ten innings, giving up 6 hits, 1 run, walking none and striking out 2, improving his record to 16-7.

I'm sure there are a lot of pitchers that could pitch ten innings or more, but Halladay has not only done it twice, he somehow convinced his manager to let him go back out after nine innings on two separate occasions.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    Talk about a workhorse! 133 pitches and a complete game tonight..
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    He's a beast for sure!
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Another CY Young season?

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    TODAY'S STATS:

Pitched a complete game ... ZERO Runs ... ZERO Walks!

Edited to add: He is now 10 - 1.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Its borderline ridiculous how good he is.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    53 fantasy points, makes up for Grienke's bad outing.

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>Its borderline ridiculous how good he is. >>

Very true. But something tells me that Roy and M. Young (Texas) will not be remember well by the baseball historians.
    Two great players that have flown under the radar and will not be exhalted in years to come.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Its borderline ridiculous how good he is. >>

Very true. But something tells me that Roy and M. Young (Texas) will not be remember well by the baseball historians.
    Two great players that have flown under the radar and will not be exhalted in years to come. >>

The cons of playing on a small market team...
  • Options
    let me add to that last post - I don't think Halladay will be forgotten, his career numbers should be quite impressive when it's all said & done. And Michael Young is outstanding as well, but these days it takes more than being awesome to be a regular on SportsCenter. Maybe he should shoot up a strip club or something.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    real good guy by all accounts as well. hard worker on off days and the consumate professional.

came up about a decade ago as a heralded prospect but after a good start to his career he really tailed off and the jays sent him down to double a to reinvent himself. many guys would have been offended and either sulked or balked at the demotion altogether, but doc did as he was told and since his recall (about 2002) he has been one of the best and most consistent in the bigs. good stuff and a workhorse who can complete games. another 5 or 6 solid seasons with another cy young or two makes him a likely hofer. i like him.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    I've followed Roy's games for the last few seasons and I believe he is king of the freakin' hill. The thing that confirmed it was finding out his birth name is Harry. Harry Halladay. What a great name! Sounds like a 1950s Vegas entertainer/singer/comedian.
  • Options
    Left the game after three innings with a strained groin. For his sake I hope it is not too serious. Gave up 1 run and walked none.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Happy 35th birthday Roy!
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Roy doesn't read these forums.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Happy birthday Roy!
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Roy still doesn't read these forums.