Home Metal Detecting
Options

School Yard Hunt

I hit a school yard today right by my house..in the rain too! I only found 6 pennies and two dimes and a silver earring. What are the chances that it is one someone
elses hit list? I was expecting to find a lot more. What I hit was three lots of swings and play areas, two sand and one those little black pieces.

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Careful not to let your machine get wet in the rain!

If the ground is saturated with water, it really throws off the way your detector will scan. Moist soil is great for detecting...freshly saturated soil can be heck.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, I had a baggie over the computer part, the coil can get wet right? Thanks for the tip, there were pools of water!

Kevin
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Here is a pic of the earring. It says 925 on the inside!

Kevin
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Yes, the coil is fine. With my machine, you can even swing the coil in the water if you are brave and don't think you'll slip or drop the machine. I don't know if that's the same for the Ace250, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I think most horror stories I hear about are folks setting the CPUs down on the ground and not realizing how wet the ground is.

edit to add:

Nice silver by the way!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was close to me it would be on mine. I would look for areas where the kids play soccer and check the area where they run to and from the play areas. If there are any hillsides that would be the first place I would check. They like to run up and down or roll down those hills and they don't have to be very steep or high.