Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Latest ridiculous auction closing

I know 86 is tough but this blows my mind. Almost $900 for something from the "worthless garbage era."

I'm gonna have to go check the 4 I pulled from a rack case a few months ago and see if I'm sitting on a couple grand.

Auction
Travis

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    For a pop 8, that seems like a lot of coin. On the Mike Schmidt side, it is amazing how much the price has dropped when population hits more than a very small handful of examples.

m
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I believe that is the lowest priced PSA 10 ever sold.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

As PSA is going for perfection grading these PSA 10 Ryans!

a PSA 9 is worth $10 - $20

If I recall, one recently sold for about $1000 or so?

rd

P.S. There are plenty of PSA 9s out there (I've got a few myself, plus a small stack of raw '86 Ryans too!) Guess it is time to sub a Ryan PSA 9 for review? image
  • Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    Runner up bidder was Don Spence, FWIW.
  • Options
    the POPS will continue to grow and the price will continue to drop; there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of this crap around lol.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    amazing, $888 for a pop of 8.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    the POPS will continue to grow and the price will continue to drop; there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of this crap around lol.

I agree. There is so much unopened product for years like '86.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I have about 10- 9's and 300+ raw 86 ryans... image
    I was the 6th place finisher on the 10.. :^(
  • Options
    People are dumb. Not only that, but there is chipping all on the one black border, and I can see touches on the corners on the back of the card.

I guess people are blind AND dumb

Probably another scam card in a fake or switcheroo holder
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Runner up bidder was Don Spence, FWIW. >>

Wow, Spence was OUTBID? I didn't know that could happen!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    The first PSA 10 of this card sold for 5k.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Runner up bidder was Don Spence, FWIW. >>

Wow, Spence was OUTBID? I didn't know that could happen! >>

Me neither. After watching what he was/is doing with 1975s and 1971s, I didn't know it was humanly possible.
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

<< <i>People are dumb. Not only that, but there is chipping all on the one black border, and I can see touches on the corners on the back of the card. >>

That's why I no longer buy PSA "10's" from that seller...
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>People are dumb. Not only that, but there is chipping all on the one black border, and I can see touches on the corners on the back of the card. >>

That's why I no longer buy PSA "10's" from that seller... >>

Is there something shady about Just Collect? I bought a few cards from them before with no problem. I can't stand their incessant email marketing. I unsubscribe but everytime I win an auction, they sign me up again
    Mike
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    Nothing shady about them, I've just seen too many cards from them that don't deserve to be in 10 holders.
  • Options
    BarkusDBarkusD Posts: 624
    I understand what everyone is saying, but until you break 1986 Topps unopened material you have no idea how difficult it is to find PSA 10 candidates. At this point I have broken over 10 rack cases from different sources. Some cases have no submittable cards. Others have a handful and rarely do you find a case with 50 or more cards. That Ryan is especially tough. I have submitted so many 9s at this point I have lost count, but there are so many problems with the card I understand why people are shelling out big dollars for the 10s. Chipping is always a problem with 86s. If you have clean borders, then centering is frequently a problem. With that Ryan card especially you also have to worry about print defects and other marks in the jersey. I don't like the Ryan that just sold because of the marks. I suspect that the chipping and marks kept the value under $1,000. Many of the 10s have sold for $3,000 or more. It's certainly a tough one to pull in true 10 condition.
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Baseball Card Exchange has a case of 1986 Topps Baseball for $250.00. Think there might be at least one Ryan PSA 10?

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options

<< <i>Baseball Card Exchange has a case of 1986 Topps Baseball for $250.00. Think there might be at least one Ryan PSA 10? >>

Buy one and find out! image

The money to be made in that case would probably be in the other PSA 10s you could find. You shouldn't count on a PSA 10 Ryan hiding out in there.

• Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    With what I've opened from this year, factory sets seem to be where it's at. The cards have a much deeper color and don't seem to come out with the chipped edges as much.
    Travis
  • Options

<< <i>Baseball Card Exchange has a case of 1986 Topps Baseball for $250.00. Think there might be at least one Ryan PSA 10?

/s/ JackWESQ >>

Sounds like another group rip may be in order!!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not ridiculous at all.

I was actually the high-bidder for all of three seconds, until the final three snipes came in. I fully expected Don Spence to win the card, as he has the #1 Ryan Registry Set and the 1986 is one of the very few cards he doesn't have in PSA 10. I'm shocked that he got outbid.

The previous poster is correct. The first PSA 10 Ryan sold for ~$5K not that long ago, and I believe this is the first one to sell for under $1K. There are many of us on the registry looking for this card.

Steve
  • Options
    Good luck busting wax boxes. The quality from wax and vending is terrible. There are a few guys on this board who have been busting tons of this product and know how difficult it really is.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yup, raks are the way to go on 86 Topps.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>With what I've opened from this year, factory sets seem to be where it's at. The cards have a much deeper color and don't seem to come out with the chipped edges as much. >>

I have not pulled anything worthwhile from rack packs yet, I have pulled a few gradable cards from wax (subbed a few in the gumby sub) that have graded PSA 9s and 10s, but not many.

Out of 2 factory sets, I may have 50-60 PSA 9 candidates and 20-30 PSA 10 candidates, plus I still have two unopened factory sets. Who knows? maybe a gem Ryan awaits me?

NOT! image .......... but one never knows?

rd

edit: from the dozen or so racks I ripped so far, I find that under a loope, corners are just full of "fibrous, hairy looking stuff" and are not too sharp. Plus almost every rack that I cracked, "black chipping" was worse on the "rack cards" than with cards from wax or factory sets.
  • Options
    The racks are very hit or miss. You have to have a good case and then you are looking for centered cards without print defects because there is little chipping. You can tell the quality of the cards in the rack before you even open it. If the pack is completely clean you have a shot. If there are any fragments, dust or particles in the pack, it will be total crap. I have opened 4 factory sets. One was great, one was mediocre and the other two had maybe one or two 9 candidates between them. The only set with which I have had more trouble is 1981s. They are just impssible.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Crazy money, and the demand is still very strong for 1986 Topps Ryan 10s. Like many stated before, PSA 10s are very
    TOUGH to find. With the new grading standard, I don't see the POP exploding here.

The card that was sold was not the best 10, but still went for 800+.

I love the design of the 1986 topps.

• Options
    Blind 10 in my opinion, that's the first place 99% of the people look. The black corners and edges on the front. One of the corners even looked touched. Very suspect card, almost like Just Collect subbed 1000 and caught the grader on a Friday.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, here's another one:

'86 Topps Ryan PSA 10

If the underbidder on the first one was Donald Spence, he got this one (arguably looks better), at a lower price than the first image

Steve
  • Options
    Probably another scam card in a fake or switcheroo holder

Skip, cmon....did you even bother to look and see who the seller was?

I doubt very much that the seller here would allow something like that to happen.

I do agree with the right top border and the chipping.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    If a 9 of this card can be bought for 10-20.00 why not buy 10 or so examples and
    crack them all and resubmit. Or simply send them in for review. At least 1 should upgade, no?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Not ridiculous at all.

I was actually the high-bidder for all of three seconds, until the final three snipes came in. I fully expected Don Spence to win the card, as he has the #1 Ryan Registry Set and the 1986 is one of the very few cards he doesn't have in PSA 10. I'm shocked that he got outbid.

The previous poster is correct. The first PSA 10 Ryan sold for ~$5K not that long ago, and I believe this is the first one to sell for under $1K. There are many of us on the registry looking for this card. >>

When you have cash to burn and the value you place in the card is simply the satisfaction of crossing it off your list, I guess no price is "rediculous."

Still, the price of this card has fallen dramaticaly, as the last two have sold for less than $1k. The pop has grown from 1 in 2007 to 10 in 2009. The price will continue to fail.

Folks with more money than patience will pay a lot for the card.
    Folks with more patience than money will pay far less.