Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wax pack group sub?????

I would like to put together a graded collection of 80’s wax packs. However, with the cost of grading I find it very difficult to stomach the $10-$14 to have a pack of 88 Topps graded. I was wondering if PSA would cut us a break if we did a group pack sub. I know a few members of the message board have a good relationship with Joe at PSA. I wonder if it is worth a call to see if they would be willing to cut us a deal.

Comments

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    John, I am looking to do the same thing. I have probably 20 or so packs that I would like to have graded. If your able to put this together, I am in.
  • Options
    I have about 10 I would throw in if we can get a little discount.
  • Options
    You can count me in for 10.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    I'd probably be interested in this as well and could come up with 10 packs.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    I'd be in to help finish some of my 1970's and 80's pack runs...
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    the best I have been able to get is 10 a pack for a couple larger orders which is what they have done on the special . I think with the holder and time and expense of grading/authenticating , it is tough for them to go lower. unlike cards , they use steve which is essetially an outside contractor so there is more cost to them
  • Options
    $10 a pack is fine with me ! How large of an order do you think is necessary?
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I would love to see $10 a pack that is one of my favorite specials psa runs... maybe would could just lobby Joe to bring back the special next month!
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I COULD GO FOR 5 or 10 packs as well,

same thing some 80's packs
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Did anything come of this? I would love to have 10-20 packs slabbed. I will wait if we are going to put something together as a group.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I did 100 packs to get the $10.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I have been pretty busy and haven’t had time to contact PSA. Does anyone have Joe's email address? If so, can you please PM it to me. I will contact him sometime today or tomorrow. I would like to shoot for $8-$9 per pack.
  • Options
    JOrlando@collectors.com

good luck!
  • Options
    Wow, whomever decides to be the collecting point really needs to have some major discipline. 100+ unopened packs sitting in stacks in front of you...the thoughts that'll run through your mind....
  • Options

<< <i>JOrlando@collectors.com

good luck! >>

cool, thanks
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, whomever decides to be the collecting point really needs to have some major discipline. 100+ unopened packs sitting in stacks in front of you...the thoughts that'll run through your mind.... >>

I think that person would get hunted down and have his A#$ kicked if that happened and rightfully deserved.
  • Options
    I just got this reply back from Joe Orlando. Please post how many packs you would like to have graded. I told him I would get back to him in a few days with a number of packs. I think we should keep it within the 1972-Present price range. I am sure the majority of the packs will fall within this range and will keep the cost down. Please let me know if I am wrong with thinking this.

"Sure – I just need to know how many packs would fall into the different pricing categories (so I can come up with a blended rate – so you don’t have to separate them). "
  • Options

jswieton- 15 packs
    MBMiller25- 20
    lsutigers1973- 10
    1989FleerBillRipkencollector- 10
    daddymc- 10
    hankcaddy- 5-10

• Options
    John, I am good for 10, Need to get some insight on what to look for when grading a pack before I commit to more.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    Does PSA have a holder yet for wax trays? I'd be in if they did.
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    put me in for 10 for sure
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    I'd be in for about 10.
  • Options
    hockeycrazyhockeycrazy Posts: 309 ✭✭
    I'd also be very interested. Dave
  • Options
    Joe responded back to me and it will be $10 per pack for 1972-2009.
  • Options
    Hello....?
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Joe responded back to me and it will be $10 per pack for 1972-2009. >>

Is this a go or is Joe going to make it the collectors club special for June (sure would be easy if he did it that way)
  • Options

<< <i>

Is this a go or is Joe going to make it the collectors club special for June (sure would be easy if he did it that way) >>

Wish he would. Hate to send these fragile packs around the world. To submitter, To PSA. To Steve. Back to PSA. To Submitter. Back to me.

2 less times en route decreases the chances for that pesky loose gum to rip the wax,seals pop etc.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I have one pack I'd like to send in. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Is this a go or is Joe going to make it the collectors club special for June (sure would be easy if he did it that way) >>

Wish he would. Hate to send these fragile packs around the world. To submitter, To PSA. To Steve. Back to PSA. To Submitter. Back to me.

2 less times en route decreases the chances for that pesky loose gum to rip the wax,seals pop etc. >>

I agree 100%, it would be nice if PSA just had a grader or two with Steve at the BBCE so they could process everything outside Chicago where Steve is based at.
  • Options
    I am sorry I haven’t gotten back to anyone yet. I was waiting to see if PSA was going to offer a pack special in June first. It would make things a lot easier. Packs are a very delicate subject and I would rather not be responsible for everyone’s packs if I don't have to. If PSA doesn't have a pack special in June I will do it but I was waiting to see what PSA had to offer first.
  • Options
    Is anyone still interested in doing this? I was waiting to see if PSA was going to offer a June pack special.