Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

2009 Nationals Question.

I've never been to a "national" convention and was curious what the benefits are as a baseball card collector, the HOF guests signing is a bright spot but i'm not sold yet.

Is this a great place to purchase vintage cards, prices more competitive than auctions?

It also dawned on me that the midwest seems to be a hot spot for card collectors, any reasoning to this?

Tempted but still contemplatin the plain trip from the west coast.

Feedback appreciated!

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

Comments

• wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Talking with dealers and fellow collectors is a blast!

This will be my 7th or 8th National in a row.
    I don't collect autos and don't like to stand in lines anyway, so I always skip that part.

The prices usually aren't any better than eBay,
    but you get to hold the cards in your hand instead of just looking at scans.

Midwest is a hot spot for card collectors? Maybe because there's nothing else to do there ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    For some of the 'big dogs', the National is to them as the Christmas season is to retailers.

While I only buy/trade high dollar vintage, I have found that the last day of the National towards closing is the best time to wheel and deal.

Cash is a definite plus!. I've had very successful dealings with Rosen, Bleam, and a few others using cash as leverage in last minute transactions.

As far as the Midwest being a hot spot? .... I haven't found that to be true .... but maybe it has been for others!

The National is a sportscard lover's paradise .... new or old .... it's a site to behold!

PoppaJ

• GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    I find that the best part of the National is the Networking going on between the dealers and the hard core collectors. I have purchased some great cards for my registry sets this way and in the process have met some really nice folks on both sides of the collecting world. Regardless of what you do in the real world in the confines of the National are true "Collecting Jones" comes out and you find yourself surrounded by people who can appreciate that "Special Find" that you have been seeking for longer than you can remember. Unfortunatly when the National is over and we head home the reality of what we spent for that "Special Find' hits us and most of us our trying to figure out a legitimite story to tell our 'Significant Other". LOL Hell it was worth it. See you all in Cleveland.
    Art
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    After attending my first National in St Louis I have almost ceased going to any local shows even though I live just a few minutes from the Gibralter Shows in Michigan maybe twice in the last 4 or 5 yrs.

To me I could care less about the autographs.To me just seeing and finding quality vintage stuff is a turn on for me and only have enough money to come home on when I leave.I usually go to any Midwest National I have time for.I also enjoyed the shows they once had in Willow Grove Pensylvania its a much smaller version of the national but still awesome.Now they have a different Show somewhere in that area however I have never been at any of those.Can anyone give any feedback on the current shows out there?
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Is it worth buying the VIP admission tickets?
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>Is it worth buying the VIP admission tickets? >>

//////////////////////

Hi Bob,

I find that if you're planning on attending the entire weekend, and are interested in the 12 free autographs and free parking etc, that comes with the package, then yes the VIP ticket is worth it.

There have only been a few Nationals from which I purchased the VIP package only because they each contained HOF signers of my interest.

If most of the perks listed in this LINK are for you, then I'd say go for it.

Hope this helps somewhat!

PoppaJ

The autos didn't seem all that good, but I remembered the crazy lines of the past nationals. I expect to be there several days but it all depends on how long I can keep a 16 year old interested.

Thanks Poppa!
  • I am still annoyed that the National has not come to Southern California for a while.
  • Art,

You said it very well. I'll see you at the National !!!
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    The national is only cool for most vintage guys. I found buying newer stuff very difficult as most of the new guys are the same ebay guys so you might as well try and get it cheaper there.

Now some of the vintage dealers only sell their good stuff at shows or in auctions so you get to see the primo stuff. Also if you a set collector it is the time to find dealers with good stock of commons and fill in your sets.

If you think you going to find those raw PSA 9 and 10 low pop vintage commons, you will be disappointed as most vintage guys that sell nice raw cards price them like they were already graded. I

I don't like standing in lines for autos due to the fact I only have a day or two at the show and it takes that time +more just to see all the dealers there. This year however with all the HOF steelers there I may have to give in.

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

• << <i>I am still annoyed that the National has not come to Southern California for a while. >>

When it does, I have to go. Never been to one. I'd love it.
    imageimageimage
  • lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    where will the national be held at next year. i would love for it to be in st louis again. i missed the last one i was in the army then.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>where will the national be held at next year. i would love for it to be in st louis again. i missed the last one i was in the army then. >>

Next year is in Baltimore in the Inner Harbor area.
  • I HIGHLY RECOMMEND everyone attend the National. You will have the time of your life. I agree that the prices are much higher than ebay, but on the other hand you can bargain with the dealer plus you see the cards in person. No shipping bull. You can meet other collectors, dealers, etc,... plus if you're a registry collector there is a PSA luncheon on Friday to attend.

I treat the excursion as a mini vacation. After hotel, gas, food, admission, nightlife, etc,... I'm not going to have much money left to spend at the show, but what the hell... I still love everything about the National, particularly the social aspects. I'm driving from the east coast & staying about 15 miles from the expo center. Since I'm driving, I don't have to worry about the hotel's shuttle schedule. And, since I plan a lot of activities in the evenings after the show ends, I really am only at my hotel to crash.

We're going to be in the area the whole week, but only doing the show for 3 days or so.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I've been to at least 10 Nationals. It's a terrific experience the first few times attending. As the years have gone by, I've found less and less high quality items to buy. Most vintage cards worth grading, are already graded. Prices seem a little higher at the National than on ebay too, but it's nice to see the cards in person instead of looking at a scan.

You still can find a few rare dealers that still don't grade their cards. Many only set up at one show a year and it's at the National. Those are the tables to hit first.

Bring lots of cash. You get better deals when paying by cash.

Typically it takes a full two days to see the entire show.
  • Please be sure to ask why eTopps dosent have a booth. Also ask where the Mike Comrie inhand cards on ebay came from? This card was never issued! But at prior Nationals, a few rolls of stickers when "missing" when they put non employees incharge of them.
  • To fulfill the scam, there is a "big wig " etopps dealer that is selling early etopps cards inhand, for the purpose of removing the "medallion" to place on other cards, and trashing the cards since they are worthless. Talk about a crooked market!
  • The people who think that they run etopps, yet have just as much input as us are:
    bearabull and ceasarandcleopatra. Both are involved in some sort of fraud in etopps history. In other words, STAY AWAY , at all costs. no matter how good it looks....
  • These same shysters tried selling a Ruth classic with a PRs of over 1000, as a 1/1, because it had a booger in the case. Its pretty hard to make MR Mint look good, but these guys do it. DO NOT BUY any etopps cards at the national, do your homework and save $$$
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I think the etopps rant deserves a serperate thread.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Let's get together on the Friday night of the National. Oh hell yeah !!!