Home Sports Talk
Options

Question, college to nfl ..

Lets say some top recruit JUST decided to not play his final year of college. Could he just become a free agent? Wouldnt that mean a big payday? Maybe it isnt allowed?
Am I speaking Chinese?

Comments

• Options
    I think (I'm not sure) that anyone wanting to play for the NFL has to go through the draft process. If they go undrafted then yes they're a free agent. But, let's take Tebow for example, he couldn't now say 'hey I wanna go pro' and go sign with anyone. Bill Simmons posted an excellent email exchange he had with someone and the draft process in all sports was addressed. He's frustrated with terrible teams getting rewarded with great draft selections. He makes the case for eliminating the draft all together and letting any player sign with any team they want (which is a brilliant idea in my mind). No team would be able to overload with top picks because of the salary cap, and terrible teams wouldn't be allowed to swallow up great players and make them irrelevant anymore.

• Options
    Back so soon.
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lets say some top recruit JUST decided to not play his final year of college. Could he just become a free agent? Wouldnt that mean a big payday? Maybe it isnt allowed? >>

Assuming that you are talking about the NFL...

Supplemental Draft Overview
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards