Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

capped cents from 1934? (exonumia question)

Does anyone know anything about the capped cents put out in 1934 by Tatum Stamp and Coin Company. These are Lincoln cents with a "cap" attached to the reverse with a different scene.

A guide book of United States Tokens and Medals mentions that there where 8 different subjects that were made.

The only mention I can find of them on the web is an old stacks auction that had three:
Admiral Bird
Hauptmann Trial
Morro Castle Disaster

Does anyone know anything about these, or even have some?

Always interested in nice love tokens and engraved coins.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vaguely recall one with a Santa Claus image, but I'm not sure.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a nice set a few years ago with an original 2x2 holder inside a larger Capitol-style holder.

In addition to the three listed, I've also seen a Lord's Prayer version. I can't think of 4 other subjects offhand.
  • Options
    engravedengraved Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Thanks guys for the info. It's hard to find info on these.
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found some pictures in my archives. FWIW, I don't have these any more. I sold them in 2006.

• Options
    Kewl!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone know anything about the capped cents put out in 1934 by Tatum Stamp and Coin Company. These are Lincoln cents with a "cap" attached to the reverse with a different scene.

A guide book of United States Tokens and Medals mentions that there where 8 different subjects that were made.

The only mention I can find of them on the web is an old stacks auction that had three:
    Admiral Bird
    Hauptmann Trial
    Morro Castle Disaster

Does anyone know anything about these, or even have some? >>

By the way, it was Tatham, not Tatum. Might help your search.
    TD
  • Options
    Check out this envelope from them:

linky

TD
  • Options
    engravedengraved Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Thanks Jonathan for the pictures. That's neat, I didn't know that they came with different plating.

Thanks CaptHenway. I'll try that in my searches. I guess they have a misprint in the book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file