Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Here are some sharp commons from the 1972 OPC group rip that I may sub *WITH GRADES*

These are the best cards I pulled from the recent 1972 OPC group rip. Feel free to comment on which you think are submission worthy, and if not, why. There actually were lots of nice cards in my 4 packs this time around, but these are the 6 that I think are better than PSA 8s.

Comments

• richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    nice, my pack better be there today !
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards. Just eyeballing it, I don't think the Carroll IA, Larussa or Gibbon will 9 because of top to bottom centering. The Osteen is close but should be ok. Of course it all depends on which grader you get. Good luck!
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Left to right on the Gibbon actually bothers me more than top to bottom.
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    They all look like shoe-in 8's with a few possible 8.5/9's.
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭
    Very sweet cards there Master.
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. I think they are all sub worthy for sure. I particularly like the Osteen. image
    I think I am going to take the Gibbon out of contention, but in hand the rest look to be better than 8s to me.
  • richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    here's my 2 best from today's pull..

Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards for OPC...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA tends to favor higher centering on this issue...both Osteen & Carroll look fine to me. I agree the Gibbon is the worst of the lot. I see some 8.5 potential there...maybe a 9 or two. Tough to call this issue because of the rough cuts and you never know what grader you're going to get.

Osteen looks like a definite 9 to me, too..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • samspopsamspop Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Here are scans of 4 out of the 5 that I shipped out to PSA yesterday. I had my 6 freebies from my renewal a couple of months ago. I know the Wills may come back O/C, but it is borderline. Opinions on the others are definitely appreciated. I have to say that this box seemed to offer a lot more centering on cards than the break we did a few months back. Keep your fingers crossed on the Clemente.

Thanks again for putting this together Nick! IT WAS A BLAST!! My 3rd pack yielded the Clemente, Seaver, and G. Perry (from the other thread), but the cool thing about this pack, as well, is that I only lost one card from the gum. I have always lost 2-3 cards per pack, but not this one. And, by the way, I did open pack 4. My two best cards in the pack were the gum cards...

That was a bummer. I really would've liked to have had that Reggie!!

Still, GREAT TIMES!!
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Whoopdie doo.
  • csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    There are some nice cards coming out of those packs. I hope mine are some good ones...........Anyone else bust theirs?
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I pulled this from the last 1972 OPC rip. This was the only card worth subbing, and it yielded an 8. Thought it was better than that, but it does have slight t/b centering issues. Good luck with yours!

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Clemente.

Here are the ones I am thinking of subbing:

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharp cards, Mike, but I'd pass on sending in the Williams as that one is certain to get an OC.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... nice checklist and Frisella. GOOD LUCK!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

Great cards, I agree on dropping the Gibbon though.

Serious nice checklist Bosox.
    Didn't go as well as I hoped. I think I may have gotten a grader that's not familiar with the OPC particulars.

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 O-PEE-CHEE 298 CLAUDE OSTEEN IN ACTION
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 O-PEE-CHEE 312 CLAY CARROLL IN ACTION
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 O-PEE-CHEE 321 JOE LAHOUD
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Didn't go as well as I hoped. I think I may have gotten a grader that's not familiar with the OPC particulars.

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 O-PEE-CHEE 298 CLAUDE OSTEEN IN ACTION
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 O-PEE-CHEE 312 CLAY CARROLL IN ACTION
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 O-PEE-CHEE 321 JOE LAHOUD >>

I think the centering on the IA cards dropped them to 8. The Lahoud looks fine and would be the one I'd question. Are the corners sharp (at least as sharp as OPC gets)?