Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

MILEHIGH let down

As a collector who enjoys getting good value for his money, I search online sports collectible auctions quite a bit. I recently registered at MILEHIGH AUCTIONS for their winter auction. I won a near set of 1951 BERK ROSS double panel cards (missing only the DIMAGGIO card). When I received my package from MILEHIGH, I was in disbelief when I saw that they sent me a near complete set of 1952 BERK ROSS cards which were in terrible condition (you would think that they could package the correct items when people are paying many 100's or 1000's of dollars for their items). Anyway, I returned the incorrect cards, received the correct cards, and was in disbelief AGAIN when I found that the YOGI BERRA/WARREN SPAHN card was missing. I called on a Tuesday to inquire about the missing card. I was told the owner, BRIAN, would return my call. Make a long story shorter, I called three times with NO return call. Finally, I got ahold of Brian on the following Monday. He told me that this card was not in complete panel form, and it was sold in another auction lot. He did give me a prorated refund, but the experience was ridiculous. A week or so later, while looking at MILEHIGH's website, I noticed an "EXTRA INNINGS" auction which was in progress (this was an online only auction and only included 10-12 items). I ended up winning two lots in the extra innings auction (and being the only bidder in this auction). After waiting 3 days for an invoice to be sent, I received and e-mail from MILEHIGH saying that this auction was a "mistake" and was not supposed to be run when it was run. The fine folks at MILEHIGH said sorry, but we cannot sell you these lots. Needless to say, I guess I was not too smart to think that I could give this company a second chance without running into problems. I will NEVER do business with this SHADY auction house again.

Comments

• ironrangerironranger Posts: 167 ✭✭
    While I have never had a problem with them, I know of another collector who had a terrible experience with them in their last auction.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a horrible story, and I'm sorry you were the recipient of such inexcusably terrible service. I wonder what the outcome would have been had you had the forethought to call while the auctions were running and ask a few questions about them, thus making them unable to say that they weren't supposed to be running at that time.

Edited for spelling.
  • Good thought Master. I just hate the fact that, if I failed to pay for an auction, I am the bad guy. However, companies such as this one do as they please, instead of being an upstanding company and sucking up any losses from their "mistake".
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Wow, I had never bid on their auctions. Now I never will. Sorry you had a bad experience, but thanks for sharing.

Bob....
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>That's a horrible story, and I'm sorry you were the recipient of such inexcusably terrible service. I wonder what the outcome would have been had you had the forethought to call while the auctions were running and ask a few questions about them, thus making them unable to say that they weren't supposed to be running at that time.

Edited for spelling. >>

Good point that would have been interesting. The way they treated you sucks, but I bet you are not alone.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation

<< <i>Good thought Master.............. >>

While I do enjoy the lofty title, you may call me Nick. image
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

While I do enjoy the lofty title, you may call me Nick. image >>

oh brother, here we go. It's already hard enough for him to fit his head through the door...

Still spinnin' you right round, Nick

<< <i>Still spinnin' you right round, Nick

image >>

Like a record baby.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Fix these!!!!
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    I am a newby when it comes to auction houses, but I get the sense that they like to play games and retract
    a transaction when they see fit. I am sorry about the experience and thanks for sharing your story.

Information is power.

• thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I had a fairly spirited conversation with Brian about their ridiculous shipping fees. I don't expect them to lose money on shipping, but $19 for a $500 card is more than cost (even including insurance). It's irritating that above and beyond the buyer's commission, they jack up the shipping.

But, I continue to buy from them, so I guess I'm willing to look past it as it's only a few $ more.

But, if something like has been described happened to me, I would totally ditch them.

• MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    The thing that is really bad is that it seems only the biggest auction houses treat you this way. One only has too look at what happened to Mastro to see the future for these guys if they don't straighten up.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • That was too long to read.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Eh, if you choose to play the auction house game, this is hardly surprising. Whatevs.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Nick, I am new to the message boards. I saw "Master Collector" under your picture, and I thought this was your ID (and abbreviated the title with Master), but, now I know that I was wrong in that assumption. Sorry, but I am sure you are worthy of a lofty title. lol

• << <i>That was too long to read. >>

And could most certainly have used a paragraph break. I read one sentence and moved right on to Nicks funny post image
  • I would think that as an Auction House they have standards that they have to live up to. I would check with the Better Business Bureau as well as what it would take to try to get their auction license revoked. I wouldnt be suprised to see this post go poof.
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

While I do enjoy the lofty title, you may call me Nick. image >>

oh brother, here we go. It's already hard enough for him to fit his head through the door...

Still spinnin' you right round, Nick

image >>

Good point Expert.

<< <i>Good point Expert. >>

Hey Collector, that wasn't very nice. image
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I bought from them once on ebay.

Never again.

Choose

Good for you.
  • Just another example of a company that has NO regard for customer satisfaction.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to the boards.

That is a terrible thing to have to deal with. I consider myself lucky so far, that I have not had these problems with these larger auction houses.

As my daughter would say "knock on wood"...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

let's be nice to each other
    yes I try to stay away from auction houses ..

• 81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

I experienced a mind blowing episode of poor customer service from Brian at Mile High. Their catalogs now fill my recyclable bin before they reach the house. I have dealt with REA, ML, and Heritage often and have never had an issue.

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

thank you for the info, sorry for your bad experience but you may have saved someone on this board from a bad experience including me

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

i just don't like the small print on the auction houses...contract

fees
    taxes ?
    20 percent buyers premium
    3 x shipping
    Insurance
    bidding fees
    out of state tax fee
    communication fees
    not responsible for undergrading etc etc

• GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

resurrecting an 8 year old thread. Good public service announcement I suppose though.

@Grimster said:
    resurrecting an 8 year old thread. Good public service announcement I suppose though.

I didn't dig up the old thread but when I saw the title now back on page one I felt I should add my experience, which was not a good one

Bump. Saw a thread started about their new catalog, buyer beware.