Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

First 5 Free...eBay listings...

Isn't that a lower final value fee as well???

link

edit to add:

I don't use auction format at all anymore, so I don't know if this is a good deal or not...interesting tactics though.
Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

Comments

• Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    I looked into that and it goes like this....with this offer it is 8.75% no matter what the ending price.

With the other way, it is 8.75% of the first $25 then 3.75% of the rest, up to $1000.

So, no it is not a lower FVF. Your saving on the listing fee, but paying more in FVF on items that end at more than $25.

I may be reading this wrong, so if I am I hope someone corrects me. image
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>I looked into that and it goes like this....with this offer it is 8.75% no matter what the ending price.

With the other way, it is 8.75% of the first $25 then 3.75% of the rest, up to $1000.

So, no it is not a lower FVF. Your saving on the listing fee, but paying more in FVF on items that end at more than $25.

I may be reading this wrong, so if I am I hope someone corrects me. image >>

////////////////////////////////////////

Hi Steve,

Could this be the difference? ....

"Fees will be 8.75% of the sales price or $20, whichever is lower."

I didn't take time to figure it out.

PoppaJ
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    It looks like high dollar items will do well for the seller under this option...other than that, not that great.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a big ripoff. I start all auctions at $0.99 so the insertion fee is only $0.15 per auction. If my first five items sell for $100 each, I'll lose about $4.79 per auction.

Old system: $0.15 listing fee + $2.1875 (8.75% of $25) + $2.625 (3.5% of $75) = $4.9625

New system: $0.00 listing fee + $8.75 (8.75% of $100) = $8.75

WTF?!?!?! All auctions that end between about $24.85 and $529.64 will cost more under this "special." Once you are over $529.64 you would start saving since the final value fee in the old system would be higher than $20. Here's a graph showing the seller's cost for the two plans. The biggest disparity will be when the item sells for $228.57 (new cost $20, old cost $9.46).

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Sad that Ebay would resort to such marketing tactics. Not at all surprising, just sad.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Looks like eBay is going to try to recoup all the "PowerSeller FVF Double-Discounts" from the past 6 months.

"For items sold between October 1, 2008 and June 30, 2009 PowerSellers with high DSRs that qualify for Final Value Fee discounts will get double the discounts on their items sold with free shipping."

My sons and I have really enjoyed the 40% fee savings each month. This new program will be a sort of shell-shock to many. Oh well, all good things DO come to an end .... more so with eBay it seems!

PoppaJ
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I looked into that and it goes like this....with this offer it is 8.75% no matter what the ending price.

I may be reading this wrong, so if I am I hope someone corrects me. image >>

////////////////////////////////////////

Hi Steve,

Could this be the difference? ....

"Fees will be 8.75% of the sales price or $20, whichever is lower."

I didn't take time to figure it out.

PoppaJ >>

Your right Poppa, I missed that part. image

And I was too lazy to figure out what kind of deal it worked out to be, but I see that Bob has done that. It seems that Ebay is using the human nature against us. They are banking on people seeing the word "Free" and thinking
    they are getting a bargain. But in all truth, they will probably end up paying more in the long run.

I guess the way it may help is if instead of starting an item at .99 and letting it ride hoping you get the $$ you think it is worth, you can now start it at the minimum you want and if it sells, you pay the FVF, otherwise you pay nothing.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Actually, if you sell high end cards and had previously been selling them using Buy it Now, this is a great deal (though limited to 5 per month), for two primary reasons:

1) Listing Fee=free, and no max on the starting price
    2) FVF fee is LOWER of 8.75% and $20. For high end cards, $20 FVF is a great price

For example, I listed/sold a $1,000 card recently under the current pricing. Here's how it would look under this new pricing:

Listing Fees--Before: $0.35 Now: $0.00
    FVF--Before: $62.94 Now: $20 (lesser of 8.75% or $20)
    Total: Before: $63.29 Now: $20

Great savings if you have high end cards you need to sell.

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    It's also nice if you have a few cheap cards to sell.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Does anybody know if they will allow a person to decline "this free offer"?
    Like the graph shows, this is a great deal only for high value items.

If they don't and if the seller doesn't have high value items, it would be a good idea to use the 5 free listing on items with value less than $25
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anybody know if they will allow a person to decline "this free offer"?
    Like the graph shows, this is a great deal only for high value items.

If they don't and if the seller doesn't have high value items, it would be a good idea to use the 5 free listing on items with value less than $25 >>

No need to decline - just use the first 5 on items that you know are going to close under $25 or over $525.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Try our Buy/Sell boards and pay no fees at all.

Mike
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew this was a price increase disguised as a good deal. The $26-$525 range probably covers 80% of the items in the sportscards category and probably a higher % of the actual dollars spent.

I wonder if ebay management actually hires people to come up with these scams. It must be he same people who develop carnival games. I was looking for an opt-out option buy I couldn't find one.
    Mike
  • Options
    im glad that ive directed a large portion of my older customers into buying direct (just small paypal fees to deal with) This new scam (ahem, i mean promotion) is great for selling some high dollar stuff since the final value fee maxes out at $20. I may list some high dollar vintage sets if thats the case...
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    They're banking on the typical Ebay user just seeing the first 5 auction style listings free part, and not bothering to read any of the fine print. It's a great deal if you have some expensive stuff to sell but then they still try to get you with more fine print. You can't use listing tools like Turbo lister to list your 5 items, they must be listed using the single forms.

eBay’s Sell Your Item form or Simple listing form – If you’re currently using one of these forms, you can either take advantage of the 5 free Insertion Fees every 30 days, or opt out by listing your items via an eBay tool or third-party listing solution.

eBay tool or third-party listing solution – If you’re currently using one of these tools, you can either take advantage of this new pricing structure by listing your first 5 Auction-style listings every 30 days through eBay’s Sell Your Item form or Simple listing form, or continue with your current practices at the current pricing.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    That's really messed up if you're a smaller seller and don't want to take advanatge of the offer. If you only ever use the sell your item form then you're automatically getting screwed on the first 5 items if they're the type that are penalized with the special offer. The only way to bypass the offer would be to get a listing tool like TurboLister to list the 5 items and then the special would not apply to those items.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to try to list 5 items and then end them early to see if I can get around the higher fee. Either that or I will list 5 Gregg Jefferies RCs for $10 each for a 1 day auction.

This offer is just plain insulting.
    Mike
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Folks who only do BINs, can still get in on this.

Simply set your starting-price at or near the amount you would
    want if the item was listed as a BIN.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    I completely forgot and listed a bunch of cards yesterday. Never even noticed that it said free until I got to the 5th one.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange, I used the 'sell your item' tool and had a FVF of $9.57 on a $235.83 item. This works out to about 4%. I only listed two auctions so I wonder why I didn't get tagged with the higher FVF?
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

Good info as I was just looking for a thread on this