Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Advice and help with ebay buyer

I recently broke and sold my 1961 Topps Baseball Set. All went very well, every buyer but one was happy and has left feedback.

The one unhappy buyer purchased the most cards, about 50 or so. I just got an email from him stating that some of the holders had scratches on them. Well, after collecting, and shipping 589 cards, I'm sure a few may have had some scratches. No cracked or broken holders however.

He has asked how I plan on handling this. I'm not sure what to tell him. I have submitted hundreds if not thousands of cards to PSA, scratched holders is part of the deal.

As a side note, this buyer also hounded me for reduced shipping charges which I gave him and came up way short on the shipping for his cards. I should have known this was going to happen.

thanks for listening.

Dave

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

Comments

• 123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭
    Take them back and give him the money back. Not worth the hassle, and he just may say that's OK, I'll keep them. I've always done this and very seldom, am I taken up on it. Most buyers are just trying to get a refund / discount.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. Send them all back for a full refund or nothing. Partial refunds for unsubstantiated stuff is a slippery slope.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • tell him/her to securely package the whole lot and return it. You will then give him a complete refund. When cards are returned notify ebay to get your fees back, issue refund through pay pal and then any cards that had other bidders offer second chance to.

Sorry this happened to you. Other than that ???image

SKY
    The Sky Pilot

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Dear Buyer:

What is it you had in mind that I should do to satisfactorily conclude this transaction?

/////////////////////////////
    ///////////////////////////////

When an AH starts negotiating on shipping, it is ALWAYS prudent
    to do nothing but wait for them to pay the listed price. When they
    don't pay, file an NPB and REFUSE to complete the transaction.

A buyer's attempt to renegotiate shipping - after the sale - is
    enough to get EBAY to remove any NEGs they leave.

Buyers who are a problem at the front end, will ALWAYS be a
    problem at the back end.

The grocery store has stuff the AH can wipe on the slabs to
    get rid of most "scratches."

//////////////////////////////////
    ////////////////////////////////////

As the others noted, NEVER do partial refunds.

If the guy does not want the stuff, tell him to send it back
    for a refund.

Hopefully, he will forget to use Delivery Confirmation / Signature Confirmation,
    and the package will get lost in the mail.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I get scratches on the slabs directly back from PSA.. I don't give it a thought.. just a casualty of war in my mind...
    I would be really annoyed by it.. and tell him to ship back for a full refund..
    who is the bidder so I don't ever deal with him?
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they got cracked in shipping that's one thing, but if he is talking about scratches I would tell him/her to return the cards if they are not satisfied. Do not issue a partial refund.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Tell to send you the good ones back and that you will scratch them too so they all match.
    Mike
  • Agree, tell him to ship back (his costs unless your refund policy states differnently)..

I would make sure they are the same (serial numbers) you sent to him, if you still have them.

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Agree. Send them all back for a full refund or nothing. Partial refunds for unsubstantiated stuff is a slippery slope.

Yup

Steve
    Good for you.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    If the scratches are small and slabs werent completely abused....... Refund the whole lot.

He may back off a bit on being so anal if he loses the whole group.

If the scratches are bad and obvious (on some) thats a different story, you may want to help with getting the bad ones reholdered (1/2 the fee or something).

But make sure he actually gets them reholdered too, and not just trying to squeeze you for more $$.

• 262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I agree with all responses. Refund offered. He is going to send back cards with scratched holders.

Is there any way to recoop fees from ebay on the returned cards before I relist them?

Dave

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>..........Refund offered. He is going to send back cards with scratched holders.............. >>

As numerous other members have already noted above, giving a partial refund is asking for trouble.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'd have told him to return ALL or nothing. What he did was simply cherry pick the best cards.

Last month I sold a lot of raw 53's, ones I did not think would 6 or better.

I said that the lot averaged VG/EX to EX in my auction I stated if the winner was unhappy
    he/she could return them but had to return them all.

Long story short winner notifies me that of the 10 cards 4 he disliked, I said NP return them all.

He counters with he wants 6 of them and only wanted to return 4 of them.

After about 3 more emails where I did not reply I think he got the message. The lot was not

being sold as a approval and I was not going to let someone cherry the best.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • 262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Steve, I did clarify to him that the return offer for was ALL cards (acutally over 100 cards) not the few he did not like.

dave

• MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Tell to send you the good ones back and that you will scratch them too so they all match.
    Mike

that is hilarious!!
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>Tell to send you the good ones back and that you will scratch them too so they all match.
    Mike >>

+1