Home Metal Detecting
Options

My first dig..and my second..silver and gold

Today I had been waiting for the mailman like a 10 year old waiting on Santa on the 24th! He finally came and handed me my Ace 250. I headed out into my
backyard, probably where alot of us started and started searching. A few things I noticed. First this is an excellent machine, I had dug a penny in less than 5
minutes! Most of my finds were between 6-8 inches deep. My home was built in 83, the oldest coin I found was 77 but still a great hour and a half. Here is the
hall.

The find

I was very happy to pull this ring, probably worthless, but still nice!

I'm not sure what these are, they came up as a nickle.

I might do a park tomorrow!

Thanks
Kevin

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Awesome first day out Kevin...that metal piece looks like an aluminum plywood weather clip. They are used in conjunction with hurricane clips as a standard down your way.

The fun has just begun.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I went out tonight in the dark and dug up 2 feet of nutin'!! LOL

• Options
    Mineralized soil will give you crazy readings like that...as will things like hematite and other iron containing rocks. You can dig forever!

Repeatable signals are key, and the more solid the signal the better. Also try sweeping your coil over the same area from alternate angles of attack if you aren't quite sure. If the signal is just as strong after that method, you've almost assuredly got a solid target of some sort, junk or not.
  • Options
    Thanks, I was pulling small white rocks out of the hole. I hope the park is easier!

Kevin
  • Options
    I hit a small park today. I hit 2 quarters 5 dimes and 9 pennies,nothing key but still nice. A few observations:

I have respect for those who find nickles, they are so far the hardest thing to find as junk comes up as the same thing.

I would of spend 1/4th the time and found just as much value wise had I set my detector to find only dimes and higher and searched the park
    benches rather than have it on all metal mode and dig what I thought was nickles.

The Ace was hindered by the metal playgound equipment, so the sniper coil isn't affected by this?

So if I detect in nothing but dimes or higher then I will never find gold? I'm starting to understand the sounds and when to dig and when not to.

This is cool!

Kevin
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hit a small park today. I hit 2 quarters 5 dimes and 9 pennies,nothing key but still nice. A few observations:

I have respect for those who find nickles, they are so far the hardest thing to find as junk comes up as the same thing.

I would of spend 1/4th the time and found just as much value wise had I set my detector to find only dimes and higher and searched the park
    benches rather than have it on all metal mode and dig what I thought was nickles.

The Ace was hindered by the metal playgound equipment, so the sniper coil isn't affected by this?

So if I detect in nothing but dimes or higher then I will never find gold? I'm starting to understand the sounds and when to dig and when not to.

This is cool!

Kevin >>

you are a fast learner! nickels are pathetically annoying to find.
    i often just set it to quarters when i am in the mood to cash in at the
    local parks. i can find a couple bucks in a few hours compared to digging
    trash all evening.

but most of the time i enjoy the mystery of digging up those unknown
    objects in the nickel area. some strange stuff comes up occasionally
    but mostly junk image
  • Options
    Kevin, your gold is going to be in that nickel and lower range sadly...esp. in the foil range. The one thing I'll say about nickels is that they tend to have a much stronger signal than a soda can tab, even though they fall in the same range. I find the tone of the signal has a slightly higher pitch as well, and very repeatable.
  • Options
    Oh, and you inspired me to dust off my 9.5 inch coil today and detect a little patch of grass about 10'x15' in front of my apartment. In about 10 minutes I dug 4 quarters and a few copper pennies. I tend to over look the zincs when I'm not doing an indepth sweep...they never turn out to be dimes.
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, and you inspired me to dust off my 9.5 inch coil today and detect a little patch of grass about 10'x15' in front of my apartment. In about 10 minutes I dug 4 quarters and a few copper pennies. I tend to over look the zincs when I'm not doing an indepth sweep...they never turn out to be dimes. >>

When you say dug four quarters, how deep did you have to go? I think I like sand MUCH better than grass, especially in the forest with roots everywhere!

Kevin
  • Options
    These were all surface quarters, 1 inch to 3 inches deep. I just say "dug" in general if they aren't actually laying on the surface.
  • Options
    As promised here are a few pics, my first silver and gold!

How did I do?

Kevin
  • Options
    Very, very nice first hit! Does it have a maker's mark?
  • Options

<< <i>Very, very nice first hit! Does it have a maker's mark? >>

Where would I find that?

Kevin
  • Options
    Oh, it could be anywhere...along the edges, inside of little nooks...if you have a loupe that you use for cards that helps. I made an eyeball find today...thank goodness for loupes because I would have never been able to read that it is .925/19pt...sterling with 19k plating.

One thing about metal detecting, you'll become keenly aware of your surroundings like never before. I make tons of eyeball finds that I would have completely walked over if I had not trained myself to just look.
  • Options
    just found sanborn maps online...looking at jax circa 1887...wow..bet those place have already been hit!

Kevin