Home Sports Talk
Options

Ken Griffey Jr

I'm a Twins fan, always have been. But I was stuck in the Seattle area for 10 years, and it was during the Griffey Jr years...88-99... Loved watching the kid.

When he came back for the M's, I was excited for them, him, me.... Granted he hasnt tore the ball off the cover, he is hitting like .210, playing every other day, but...

I have seen all 3 of his Home runs, and I have waatched very little Twins baseball this year.

Called BOTH of his Huge Hr's vs the Twins too. The guy hits in the dome like a madman. Gardy needs to call me before he pitches to Jr.

Now I have no witness, but trust me on this..Twins up 2-0 in the 8th, some new idiot reliever the Twins got walked a guy, here comes Jr. I'm thinking here wwe go, sweet swing to right field over the baggie. Yep, gone!

So my question is, who is that ball player that you FEAR when he steps to the plate? Not only FEAR but KNOW he is gonna hurt your team.

Also Belte KILLS the Twins, Ibanez did too when he was there...

Am I speaking Chinese?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think anyone "Fears" the Kid anymore however Albert Pujols comes to mind when thinking of a player you do NOT want to see step up to the plate if your team is in the field with the game on the line.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Aubrey Huff has been quite good against his former team, the Rays. I've never heard anyone booed louder at the Trop than Huff. The guys an idiot.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    If you are the Rex Sox you never want to see Longoria at the plate with men on base.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you are the Rex Sox you never want to see Longoria at the plate with men on base. >>

no kidding!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you are the Rex Sox you never want to see Longoria at the plate with men on base. >>

no kidding! >>

Just like the Halos dont want to see us in the playoffs.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never felt Junior was all that 'clutch', and I watched all his years in Seattle......Edgar Martinez, now that dude was lethal.

Today, a young fella named "Vladimir Guerrero" tortures the M's. That guy is sick.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

no kidding! >>

Just like the Halos dont want to see us in the playoffs. >>

This is true. Maybe this year will be different????????
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

no kidding! >>

Just like the Halos dont want to see us in the playoffs. >>

This is true. Maybe this year will be different???????? >>

It certainly could be- I hope not though image
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Pujols- what a monster.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>Pujols- what a monster. >>

Being a monster isn't good in this era. next!
  • Options
    Jr just hit #625 !

Anyone hear if he plans on playing next year? I realize he is hitting .221, just asking.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I heard he wants to, if it is in the best interests of the team.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Following in Willie Mays footsteps?

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    maybe he should be a player/ coach. he is on the tail end of his career and im sure there is a prospect who can be given an opportunity to shine in his place.
  • Options
    Seems this thread has split into 2 different topics. So...

Regarding Jr - one of the best ever. Best of the 90's for sure. That said, hang 'em up after this year. He had a nice return to Seattle, everyone loves him, go out in style.

Guy I hate to see against my team (Yankees) - there's really no one right now but I remember back in the '96 playoffs Juan Gonzales was a beast! Seemed like he hit a HR or at least knocked in a few runs every time he was up.
  • Options

<< <i>Seems this thread has split into 2 different topics. So...

Regarding Jr - one of the best ever. Best of the 90's for sure. That said, hang 'em up after this year. He had a nice return to Seattle, everyone loves him, go out in style.

Guy I hate to see against my team (Yankees) - there's really no one right now but I remember back in the '96 playoffs Juan Gonzalez was a beast! Seemed like he hit a HR or at least knocked in a few runs every time he was up. >>

Ah yes MantleMarisFordBerra, Juando had an awesome 96 ALDS, 5 jacks in 4 games, 9 ribbies, .438 average. Too bad our bullpen blew 3 games that series.....Very easily could have won Game 2...Game 3....Game 4....ah oh well, 13 years later Game 1 is still our only playoff W. I remember Costas called that series (if my 13 year old memory serves me) and Gonzalez got a single in one of his ABs and Costas said in his trademark voice, "Gonzalez with a single to left. Perhaps, a moral victory for the pinstripers."

The guy I never ever, ever, ever want to see up with men on base, no one on base, on deck, in the dugout, at the stadium is Vlad effing Guerrero. Dude had a 44 or 45 game hitting streak against the Rangers at one point. Showalter got sick of hearing about it one series, so late in the year after Vlad made an out in his first AB, Vlad got 4 wide ones his next 3 plate appearances.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options

<< <i>The guy I never ever, ever, ever want to see up with men on base, no one on base, on deck, in the dugout, at the stadium is Vlad effing Guerrero. Dude had a 44 or 45 game hitting streak against the Rangers at one point. Showalter got sick of hearing about it one series, so late in the year after Vlad made an out in his first AB, Vlad got 4 wide ones his next 3 plate appearances. >>

Put since then, Vlad's numbers have dropped and we no longer handle the rangers like we did, which was easily!

I always will remember Buck's decision to walk Vladdy, I believe the decision worked, broke the streak and the Rangers are now challenging the Angels and not being just an Angels door mat.

Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Juan Gone was a great player back in the day. I think I still have a few of his "Reverse Rookie" cards, 88 donruss I think...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Well it appears his Career came to an end today. He singled in his final at bat. Finished the season with a respectable on base %, 19 home runs, and a few game winners. His batting average was around .215, but the kid really played well I think. See you in the Hall Jr.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    I was there today - it was very moving when he got his hit, and came out of the game for a pinchrunner.

Somthing now tells me he'd like to play one more year. Does he have enough left in the tank? I'd hate to see him hit .180

What a stud.

Dave
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    TO BE SURE, Griffey has accomplished a lot in his Hall of Fame career. That said, for me, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Griffey is what if; what if he had not missed 700+ games in his career due to whatever reason. I think we would easily be looking at 800+ career home runs.

I hope he comes back. Or, more specifically, I hope some GM gives him the opportunity to come back. But if not, I'll see you at the Hall of Fame in a couple of years, likely with Randy Johnson.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    Best swing is baseball history in my book. I dont think anyone disagrees that Jr would have hit well over 800 if not for the injuries.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    As a Braves fan....I hate seeing Ryan Howard at the plate. Not sure what his actual stats are, but it seems like he has been a problem for us in the last couple of seasons!!! image
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>TO BE SURE, Griffey has accomplished a lot in his Hall of Fame career. That said, for me, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Griffey is what if; what if he had not missed 700+ games in his career due to whatever reason. I think we would easily be looking at 800+ career home runs.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

Me too. Is there a player in history whose career is at once so good and so disappointing?
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    The fact that he never won a World Series Championship with that mid 90's Mariners team is the sad part. If he does play next year, it will be the M's, and I just dont see them doing it. He should come to Mn image
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    i hope he hangs up his cleats gracefully, its time.