Home Sports Talk

Who will stop the Cavs, who can slow LeBron, will anyone lose by less than 10 points?

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well??

Comments

• RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    These are exhibition games until the real fun begins in the next round. Orlando or Boston will push them, then lose, and I'm not sure they can beat the Lakers. We'll see, I certainly hope they can get it done.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    I agree with RonBurgandy. O-Town or Bean Town will probably only push the Cavs to 6, at most, and a trip to the finals is almost inevitable at this point.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Cavs will sweep the Hawks and win the next 2 series in 5 games or less. The only way they lose the title is if they beat themselves, or if Lebron tears an ACL.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LeBron v. Kobe or LeBron vs. Mello in the Finals?

Which do you prefer and why?

LeBron and Kobe have the name recognition and star appeal. Kobe is older by about 6 years.

Mello is well known but does not have the star appeal of Kobe and LeBron since his team has never done well in the playoffs since long before he joined the team. Mello is a bona fide stud and is about the same age as LeBron. If the Nuggets make it to the Western Conference Finals and then make it to the NBA Finals with Mello playing well, his star appeal will jump dramatically.

It is weird talking about the Nuggets in connection with the Western Conference Finals and the NBA Finals. The last time the Nuggets played for a Championship was in the final year of the ABA (spring 1976) when they lost to Dr. J and the New Jerset Nets. Prior to the 76-77 season the ABA merged with the NBA (with the Nuggets, Spurs, Nets and Pacers joining the NBA, with all other teams folding, with all other ABA players being drafted by NBA teams in a supplemental draft and with Dr. J being traded by the Nets to the Sixers). It has been so long that any talk of the Nuggets and championships is an alien concept.
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I hope it's Lakers/Cavs because if Denver gets in I think they will try to be the Denver Bad Boys and intimidate the cavs, which to me isn't basketball. Lakers/Cavs would be true basketball in may opinion without all the pushing/shoving that I think would occur if Denver gets that far. Being a Cavs fan I hope it's the Lakers so that the Cavs can hopefully prove that they are the best team, not the most physical.
  • intenceintence Posts: 1,255

<< <i>I hope it's Lakers/Cavs because if Denver gets in I think they will try to be the Denver Bad Boys and intimidate the cavs, which to me isn't basketball. Lakers/Cavs would be true basketball in may opinion without all the pushing/shoving that I think would occur if Denver gets that far. Being a Cavs fan I hope it's the Lakers so that the Cavs can hopefully prove that they are the best team, not the most physical. >>

hope its the cavs/lakers too but i got the lakers going all the way
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    How many rings could Lebron win if he had Pippen, Paxton, Kerr and Rodman, I don't even know who else plays on the Cavs and I guess it doesn't matter!

Go Bron!

JS
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

One thing is for sure. The NBA Playoffs are pretty chippy this year.

Don't think I have seen so much banging around for quite some time.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game four with the Hawks was pretty sloppy. i think the end was written during the 4th quarter when the Cavs brought the ball down three consecutive times and never had a shot, yet Atlanta still couldn't score to close the gap. what was it, almost four minutes of scoreless play!!!! also, the Hawks had i think three shots outside the arc on one possession and failed to score. it was a strange game.

the difference this year over two years ago is that LeBron doesn't have to carry the team even though he still can. with Big "Z" dropping 'em from 10 feet(and even a three), Andy strong under the rim and Delonte West playing outstanding there's hope at last. what i think is really proving to be interesting is that the other teams can't put there opponents away and it's causing them all to have to log extra minutes of physical play after a long season. Denver looks pretty good to me, the Celtics somehow seem to be able to pull it together and the Lakers are just the Lakers.

i'm chomping at the bit for the Boston rematch and Cleveland in four with Ray Allen being played unmercifully tough for his nut-punch cheap shot.image
    Keets.

Assuming the Cavs beat the Celtics or Magic in the Eastern Conference finals, would you prefer to see a Cavs v. Lakers championship or a Cavs v. Nuggets championship?

LeBron v. Kobe or LeBron v. Mello?
    i think either one would be great basketball.

Denver likes to speed things up and would surely try that to break the Cavs defense. the only problem would be Andy/Big Z. on the offensive rebounds, and if Denver tried to have someone hanging back they'd be vulnerable for some free trips down the lane. the Lakers are an awesome team but they appear overconfident and lazy, only really "playing" when they have to, that's their achilles heel. the time will come when they wait too long and it'll be either against the Nuggets or in the finals, i don't see them repeating. certainly it would be great if the Lakers and Cavs played, i bet the ratings would be through the roof.

there have been some interesting commentaries on local shows about how LeBron's time with Bryant during the Olympics really helped his game, he's said as much to the local reporters. that's such an incredible story about how these two phenomenal players worked together and now have the oppurtunity to play against each other as two of the greatest players of their era.
    well, apparently the Cavs will again have a week's rest while their opponent(as yet undecided) scraps to stay alive and saps energy from itself. i find it amazing that in a sereis like this Ray Allen has faded to nothingness when his teammates need him most. unless some Magic happens in the next game i suppose LeBron and company will face Orlando. it should be a good series.
    Put down the crack pipe. Anyone who is a Cavs fan should pray it's Denver in the Finals. They would discard Denver like yesterday's news but the Lakers will probably beat them. It's time to get real folks.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Put down the crack pipe. Anyone who is a Cavs fan should pray it's Denver in the Finals. They would discard Denver like yesterday's news but the Lakers will probably beat them. It's time to get real folks. >>

Got to agree with Ronnie here.
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Put down the crack pipe. Anyone who is a Cavs fan should pray it's Denver in the Finals. They would discard Denver like yesterday's news but the Lakers will probably beat them. It's time to get real folks. >>

Got to agree with Ronnie here. >>

You two are absolutely wrong!! The Cavs have the look and desire of a championship team right now ... the Lakers are lazy, unfocused, and have zero heart. The Cavs would have swept (or gone 5 games) with Houston before discarding them quickly. Nothing I've seen out of the Lakers makes them look like they can beat the Cavs. Especially since Cleveland has home court advantage. Cleveland looks SUPER hungry, LA looks indifferent. Anyone agree?
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

• << <i>

<< <i>

Got to agree with Ronnie here. >>

You two are absolutely wrong!! The Cavs have the look and desire of a championship team right now ... the Lakers are lazy, unfocused, and have zero heart. The Cavs would have swept (or gone 5 games) with Houston before discarding them quickly. Nothing I've seen out of the Lakers makes them look like they can beat the Cavs. Especially since Cleveland has home court advantage. Cleveland looks SUPER hungry, LA looks indifferent. Anyone agree?
    John >>

The Lakers have been playing wildly inconsistent in these playoffs and truly lack the hunger and drive of a championship team. They're allowing Houston to dictate the game and championship teams don't do that. People sleeping on Denver isn't surprising, but they've been lights out in the playoffs. They're the only team in the west who has been truly dominating in both rounds of the playoffs, dispatching both opponents in 4-1 fashion. The lakers have allowed Artest and the Rockets to get into their heads, and followed up a 40 point win with a 15 point loss. Chauncey Billups has been lights out averaging 22 points, 7 assists, while shooting 95% from the free throw line and 54% from 3 point land. (There's a great article on his NBA history on ESPN...really a great read). He's truly been a difference maker for Denver since coming over in trade. Other than Cleveland, Denver has been playing the best ball of any of the teams in this year's postseason, and I'm loving the idea of a Nuggets/Cavs finals.
    If the Lakers win game 7 against Houston, the Lakers v. Nuggets conference final could be very entertaining depending on which Laker team chooses to show up and play.

Denver has been playing great basketball on both sides of the ball for all of the playoffs and for the end of the regular season. The trounced the Hornets and Mavericks with ease. Denver and Cleveland are playing the best in the playoffs, with Cleveland playing better than Denver.

Lakers v. Cavs for the title has the Kobe v. LeBron media appeal [and the possibility of great one on one hoops drama]. However a Kobe v. Mello conference final and a LeBron v. Mello final would be very entertaining.

• JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the Lakers win game 7 against Houston, the Lakers v. Nuggets conference final could be very entertaining depending on which Laker team chooses to show up and play.

Denver has been playing great basketball on both sides of the ball for all of the playoffs and for the end of the regular season. The trounced the Hornets and Mavericks with ease. Denver and Cleveland are playing the best in the playoffs, with Cleveland playing better than Denver.

Lakers v. Cavs for the title has the Kobe v. LeBron media appeal [and the possibility of great one on one hoops drama]. However a Kobe v. Mello conference final and a LeBron v. Mello final would be very entertaining. >>

I agree. Cleveland and Denver are playing near perfect basketball and its not hard to imagine either team playing for the championship. I think it will be a close and entertaining final to watch this year.
    Put down the crack pipe. Anyone who is a Cavs fan should pray it's Denver in the Finals. They would discard Denver like yesterday's news but the Lakers will probably beat them. It's time to get real folks.

OK, let me get this straight.........................the Cavs would "discard Denver like yesterday's news" but the Lakers(who are having trouble with Houston) would "probably beat" the Cavs and i'm the one who needs to put down the crack pipe!!!image

your logic is flawless, absolutely flawless.

OOPS!!
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭
    I definetly think this is LeBron's and the Cavs year. If for no other reason than the fact that LeBron wants it more. Lakers/Celtics have already been there, done that.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
    bye-bye Boston, hello Orlando!!!image
  • <Who will stop the Cavs, who can slow LeBron>

this year, im really hoping NOBODYimage
  • lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    GO CAVS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    If Ehlo couldn't bring the title to Cleveland what makes anyone thing Mr Bon Bon can?
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I definetly think this is LeBron's and the Cavs year. If for no other reason than the fact that LeBron wants it more. Lakers/Celtics have already been there, done that. >>

"Wanting it more" is meaningless. Producing is what matters, and LeBron is quite good at that. I do not care how much you want it, if you do not have sufficient talent youwill lose.
    OUCH!!!

question answered!!!image
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    surprising, I thought Lebron could do it all by himself. He's going to need some help it seems.
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>surprising, I thought Lebron could do it all by himself. He's going to need some help it seems. >>

Not even MJ could do it all by himself. And yes I do agree you need the talent and the tools as well as the will and heart. And LeBron and friends I think have it this year.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Orlando played a tremendous game. Raining treys from all over the court. Howard (as usual) was a freakin beast down low.
    Lebron can beat most teams single-handedly. But if Orlando keeps playing like they did last night, someone else on the Cavs has to pitch in.
    If the Magic continue to hit 53% of their shots and win each game by one point I guess they deserve to win, however does anyone really believe they will continue to hit all of their shots? Obviously I'm biased as a Cavs fan but it's still only one game. I would have said the same about the Lakers if they had lost their first game to Denver, which also almost happened.
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

<< <i>If the Magic continue to hit 53% of their shots and win each game by one point I guess they deserve to win, however does anyone really believe they will continue to hit all of their shots? Obviously I'm biased as a Cavs fan but it's still only one game. I would have said the same about the Lakers if they had lost their first game to Denver, which also almost happened. >>

and the Lakers did lose there first game to Houston at home and came back to win it.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
    Defense will tell the story. If the Cavs play D as they have all year, they'll win the series. If they don't, they won't. It's that simple.
    Ron Burgundy

Why did LBJ kick that ball out to whomever it was for a 3?

• TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Lastnight, LBJ reminded be of Koby of a few years ago. Tried to do to much, rest of team becomes flat footed and then LBJ has a laspe and team unable to step up until its to late.

Lets hope LBJ goes back to the style that got the Cavs TEAM to this point.

GO Lakers!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
    Hopefully tonight's series will also be tied after two games like the Denver/LA series. Treetop: I think the Lakers/Nuggets will also go 7 like the Cavs series. The Nuggets seem to be peaking at the right time similar to how the Magic are playing. I hope the Lakers win also so the Cavs can play them after they beat the Magic.
    i remarked to my wife after the game that Orlando seemed to play the perfect game. not to take anything away from them, but it's sort of unrealistic to expect the three-pointers to be open and to fall as they did for the entire series. all that notwithstanding, the key was clearly that after the half the Cavs came out and changed their offensive approach to the point where they almost sat on the ball waiting for an opening which never materialized. then they were forced to shoot as the 24 second clock ran down, generally LeBron making a move from the perimeter.

the game to me looked strangely familiar to the loss at home vs. the Lakers when the Cavs ended the first half with a nice lead and then relaxed, bringing the same inevitable result. if they continue to move the ball around on offense instead of sitting out past the arc till time runs out they'll be OK. Orlando is a three-point machine but those shots eventually suffer at the hands of averages.

what was funny here in Cleveland were the fans who were freakin' out!!!! that's sort of typical, but everyone needs to remember that it's only one gameimage
    Hey Keets, where you located in Cleveland...I'm out Parma way near CCC West. I agree with you that some folks are already panicking....you know how it is, The Drive, The Fumble, Red Right 88 or whatever the H that pass was called....all in the past, hopefully they play a whole game tonight instead of one half.
    Don't forget that stinking Jose Mesa.
    how did they manage to blow a 23 point lead???image
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    This is shaping up to be quite a series. Both of the conference finals are for that matter!!
    I have to agree. I wouldl like to see Cavs/Lakers final but who knows, it seems any of hte four teams could provide many thrills.