Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

My 2500th post giveaway! For Young Numismatists - prize is a NGC 1939 MS 63 Walker! Winning entry

Here is the winning entry, by Madison., a four year old preschooler! Her dad drew the circle for the coin, and she did her artistic work from there.

Her entry was amoung the four chosen by a drawing (see later down the thread).

Great work! I hope you stay with the hobby.

OK, it's time. But I just cannot make it simple.

First, the coin. A lovely 1939 Walking Liberty Half, NGC MS63, blast white. I liked this coin so much that I took it back in a tag after trading it away once. But I digress.

Here's how to enter:

Open to all YN's, defined as someone in pre-school through 12th grade in 2009. Recent high school grads ok.

To enter:
Write a short essay with a Walking Liberty Half dollar theme commensurate with your grade in school. If you can't write yet, a picture with your parent's notes on it will do. For high school, I expect to see real grammer and thought. The theme is open - it can be about a year, say 1921 or 1916, a historical event and the impact to commerce (e.g. WW2, the Great Depression, etc), or the designer, or a technical subject such as die varities, grading the coins, rarity of certain issues. You can also write why you just like the coins.

You can PM me your work, or PM me for an e-mail address and e-mail it to that. You may either type or neatly print or write your essay and e-mail or even postal mail it to me. It's ok to have your parent PM or e-mail me your entry.

All entries that meet the grade requirements (as determined by me!) for a passing grade are entered. I will then draw names at random to determine the winner. If 5 have more than 10 entries, I'll also award some nice runner up prizes.

Deadline is June 22 to enter, so you have lots of time.

I'll post the essays after the contest closes.

Good luck!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Very nice, JB. This ought to be quite a Challenge for my 9 year old nephew, Cole ....
    but may well be EXACTLY what he needs. He's very bright actually but has "ADD"!

Actually, I'm not buying into this "ADD" stuff AT ALL BUT that IS the "Official" Diagnosis.

Any kid that can rattle off a very fast (rap) song - word for word - ought NOT have issues
    remebering or concentrating - wouldn't you think?

Since he was born (03-2000), I've given him a real nice ASE every year (which, of course,
    looks very much like a WLH.) BUT he's never seen a MS WLH. He's SO bright that his mind
    races and wanders - typical little boy, eh!? He makes good grades (As & Bs) but it's going
    to be quite the task to get him to understand what's expected of him and to keep him still
    long enough, undistracted, made to concentrate but with such a coin it's on me to impress
    him enough to make him WANT IT! Once he sees one I'm certain he will.

Once he turned 6 and old enough for Elementary School, as he would do well I would
    reward him with coins - but he's never seen a Walker. He's quite computer literate so I
    know I can trust him on my computer. Once I get him tuned in & turned on, I'll PM you to
    alert you to the fact that he will be posting here (I suppose using my avatar) - "LIVE"!.

Once I've got him settled, I'm leaving him totally alone in here so - I really can't Guarantee
    what a 9 yr old will write - but I'll walk away as I AM NOT going to help him AT ALL. I will
    have the good-eye on him ... from the next room though. If he WANTS IT, he's going to have
    to earn it, on his own!

Thank you & TC71 for your unselfishness. I guess that's it. Just wanted to say thanx & to let
    you know about Cole.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    ttt

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    If I take some night school classes, can I quality? I am a young 50.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    My 14 year old son read your contest and told me you spelled Grammer wrong. It's spelled 'Grammar'.image

Also he told me nice contest.. Due to his dirt bike riding and spring Golf, he has done enough "Grammar" for this year. So, he hopes another Y/N will win your contest.image
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    My 5 year old grandson says he doesn't want to play this time, he wants to watch Whacky Races on tv.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options

<< <i>If I take some night school classes, can I quality? I am a young 50. >>

Guess not.image
  • Options

<< <i>

Guess not.image >>

This is an Anti-old fart thread. image

imageimage
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Guess not.image >>

This is an Anti-old fart thread. image

imageimage >>

Or is it rather a pro Young nerd thread? LOL!

• Options
    Need more entries!

• Options
    Not too many entries so far, so you have a great chance!

I will also be sending out worthwhile coin prizes for everyone that submits an essay, picked at random.

So, get writing! You must be on cruise control in the school year by now.....

• Options

Aw man, more homework! .................................... okay I'm on it! image
    Young Numismatist ............................ and growing!
  • Options
    Deadline approaching!

All entries will get a prize.

• Options
    pm sent
    I'm merely the keeper of fine metals.
  • Options
    i have oly three entries so far, but all are outstanding!

tcoins (pre-schooler)
    laxmaster (high school)
    gmherps13 (3rd grade)

All of these are deserving of a prize, and will receive one.

(If I have missed anyone who entered, pm me asap!)

Any more? Pretty good odds for a neato nice coin!

• Options
    I feel I want to enter, but I don't exactly understand the contest. I'm trying to figure out, exactly what to write about

(14, Just graduated from 8th grade)
  • Options
    PM SENT...

Fingers are crossed image
  • Options
    I'm a newbie that just sent this link to the father of my coin collecting 10 yr old nephew....

Does that June 22 deadline start early morning, on will before midnight 06/22 work?

James
  • Options
    Anytime on the 22nd is ok, up to 12 midnite Pacific time!

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing like procrastination!!! Hurry up everyone!!!! image Good luck to all those who entered and image to claychaser!
  • Options
    So far, I have 4 entries:
    tcoins (pre-schooler)
    laxmaster (high school)
    gmherps13 (3rd grade)
    tmoneyegales (Jr. high)

The following signed up - but I do not have an entry. PM it now if you want to be in the drawing!
    goldboy
    Lablade

• Options
    So, to select the winner:

There are 4 entrants. Each will be assigned an Ike dollar with a different date to put into a pickle jar.

tcoins (pre-schooler) Ike 1971
    laxmaster (high school) Ike 1972
    gmherps13 (3rd grade) Ike 1974
    tmoneyegales (Jr. high) Ike 1977

I toss them in the jar and shake it up and pull the winner. The other three will get a neato coin prize (not one of the circulated Ikes), so make sure that you PM me your addresses. Also, please include in the PM permission for me to post your essay (or drawing for the pre-schooler).

Here goes:

The winner is tcoins! I hope this person turns into a budding YN!

• Options
    TCoinsTCoins Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Awesome! Thanks so much.
    PM sent.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats TCoins and to all who entered image
  • Options
    Okay, PM will be sent in a few.