Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

So, what Registry Set contains the fewest number of coins comprising a complete set?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
Are there any sets which have less than five coins [I recall year sets containing five coins are included in the Registry]?

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know several of the Mint Sets have less than 5.

Off the top of my head the 1922 w/o Gold set has 4 coins required and the 1933 w/o Gold set only requires 3... maybe I should have picked one of those instead of the 1909 set image
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    Flying Eagle Cents Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1856-1858)

3 coins needed for a complete setimage
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I did this post a couple of years ago. I think it is two coins - the 1916 PR set.
    Doug
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think I did this post a couple of years ago. I think it is two coins - the 1916 PR set. >>

Doug, your right, it was the only set I made to #1, with only set entered.image
  • Options
    The 1903 and 1904 U.S. / Philippine half centavo set. (Business strike)
  • Options
    The Flying Eagle cent set, at three coins, has got to be the smallest excluding date sets like the 1916 proofs. However, finding those coins, particularly the 1856, isn't easy. A much easier set to complete might be the five coin Morgan dollar mint mark set. Other than the Carson City, in which an MS65 of the most common dates, 1883 or 84, would run you about $600, the others could be had for pretty reasonable amounts. Not surprisingly, there's over 300 competitors, so you would need at least one or two MS67s to stand out. If the idea of shelling out for a Carson City Morgan doesn't appeal to you, you could go for another Morgan mini-series, the San Francisco short set, consisting of five coins, 1878-1882. All are common dates, and you could make the top ten for only $14,000 or so, most of it being spent on the 1878. That $14,000 might seem like a lot, but to make the top ten in some categories you'd need a million dollar collection.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twenty Cent Proofs takes four, not counting the branch mint proof 1875-S.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Norse American Commemorative Medals = 3 medals
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    The Canadian 20c set is one - 1858. Which must be too small as PCGS added it to the 25c sets.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Not sure put there is one $1 gold set that only requires 3 coins

And I think the 1986 Proof AGE set only requires 2 coins
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the gold dollar type set, which in the context of this post wouldn't be a complete set.

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are Feuchtwangers a set? The cent and the three cent?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a set that requires 2

On the NGC Registry, there is a set that requires one

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>The 1903 and 1904 U.S. / Philippine half centavo set. (Business strike) >>

Scavenger is correct. It is under "U.S. Coins - Private Issues & Territorial Gold - Philippines Half Centavo, Circulation Strikes (1903-1904)".

Here is the link. Currently, there are 12 sets registered with a finest possible set rating of 68.00, though the two highest rated sets are 67.50 and only one has both coins RED.
  • Options
    I know of one. Canada $2.00 1/15 oz Gold Maple Leaf. 1994 was the only year it was issued, and only 3,540 were released, making it one of the more valuable Maples. http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=16855