Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA/DNA for (3) Ripken Cards - Authentication Only **FINISHED PRODUCT**

I've never done the PSA/DNA thing before, so I have no idea how to figure out the cost. Could someone maybe point me in the right direction? My goal is to have all three of these cards slabbed authentic. No grades.

I want the orange/red flip, not the blue flip. For the life of me I can't find the difference between the two. I just like the eye appeal of the orange/red flip. I'm not interested in getting the card or auto "graded".

Since I really have no idea how this works, I thought about driving 2 hours to the Pittsburgh Show on May 17th to have them done in person since PSA will have a booth there. What I really need to do is figure out how much it's going to cost me. I see the fee for Cal Jr. and Cal Sr. are $30 each. Not sure how much Bill will cost. Are there any other fees I'm not seeing besides the $30 per card?

My goal is to have all three cards slabbed with consecutive cert numbers, frame them, and give them to my Dad for his birthday. I acquired the Bill TTM back in 1989 when I was 12 years old. The other two were ebay pick ups in the past 6 months or so.

Thank you very much for any input you have.

Comments

• alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Since you want the red flip it is this on the fee schedule.

AUTOGRAPHED CARD GRADING & AUTHENTICATION $20* 20 BUSINESS DAYS
    Any autographed card with a declared value under $500. Autographed cards with a declared value over $500 must be submitted under higher service levels. Declared value rules apply. With Grade or No Grade: Customer has the option to select with grade or no grade (no grade is assigned but card is authenticated and encapsulated).

If you wanted the blue flip, it would be the more expensive stuff on the PSADNA site.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    they did run an auto special back in December I think for $10 - maybe they will do it again - might be worth waiting if you are not in a hurry to get them slabb'ed... I'm currently sitting on a bunch of autos waiting for the special to come back.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Time is somewhat a factor. My Dad's birthday is in July, so I'd like to have it framed by then.
    SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!

1 1 14623839 N0: AUTHENTIC 1988 TOPPS 352 BILLY RIPKEN PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    2 1 14623840 N0: AUTHENTIC 1988 TOPPS 444 CAL RIPKEN SR. PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    3 1 14623841 N0: AUTHENTIC 1988 TOPPS 650 CAL RIPKEN JR. PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US

One step closer to having my Dad's birthday present completed!! image
  • Awesome , Those will look great framed. Hope to see a pic of it finished.
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
    There will be pics of the finished product for sure on here. I'm stoked! image
  • I'm pretty happy as well. My 1st certified 616 auto ! Now to get all the versions signed, then in blue ink, then in red... image

4 1 14623842 N0: AUTHENTIC 1989 FLEER 616 BILL RIPKEN BLACK BOX-PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    imageimageimage
    You're a crazy man Donovan!! and I like it!! image
    Cards arrived today! I'm picking up the custom matte, glass, nameplate and frame this evening, and I should have a final pic after that. My Dad should receive it in the mail by Saturday, just in time for Father's Day! image

• Here's mine !!

imageimageimage
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Jeff,

What a great Father's Day gift!

Your dad is very lucky to have such a thoughtful son!

PoppaJ imageimage
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    An excellent present!
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Thats a very cool gift!!
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    very cool... those look great!
  • Can't wait to see the finished product. I'm sure your dad will love it! Nice work!
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • awesome giftimage

TELL ME THOUGH YOU ARE PUTTING "JR" in the middle when it gets framed.

SKY
    The Sky Pilot

• BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I would love getting those for fathers day...If your not to busy you could send an email to my kids image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation

<< <i>awesome giftimage

TELL ME THOUGH YOU ARE PUTTING "JR" in the middle when it gets framed.

SKY >>

I would put them just like he posted them...image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    What an awesome present. Your Dad will be thrilled for sure.

On a side note...do you and Donovan live together? I think you have the same kitchen counters.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed.

Steve
    Good for you.
    This finished product!! I always planned on putting Cal Sr. in the middle. It all worked out, with the order of card numbers and cert numbers, with the Dad in the middle. I also used black behind the orange, so it really makes the cards look great in the frame. I used UV glass, although this won't be hanging in any direct sunlight. I figured it wouldn't hurt. From what I've heard, UV glass doesn't protect as much as you would think anyway. This picture doesn't do it justice. If I were to open a package that had this in it, I would probably pass out... lol

It's being shipped to Maryland today, and it's due to arrive on Saturday. It's going to be from both my Brother and myself, so he's gonna love it!

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Dude! I wish my father collected so I could do something that cool for him.

Excellent end results. It's always nice when a plan comes together.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
    What a great gift! That turned out great!

JDRF Donation
    Thank you for the kind words! My Dad collects random sports memorabilia, anything to do with Baltimore. For instance, he has an autographed baseball of every Hall of Fame member who has ever worn an Orioles jersey. So this is right up his ally. I just wish I could be there when he opens it.
  • artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    That is some kind of amazing. Great job!

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Jeff, That came out awesome!!!!!!! What a great idea for a gift. Your father will hang it up and always think of you and your brother.

Thanks very much for sharing this gift project.

brian
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    awesome piece!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    turned out awesome! i'm sure he will be thrilled
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Jeff,

Your dad is definitely going to pop a cork when he sees it!

You do realize that it's going to be pretty tough to come up with something to top that for next year, don't you? image

Anyway, congrats again on such a thoughtful and creative gift for your dad!

God bless you both!

PoppaJ
  • That looks awesome !!

Good Job image
    imageimageimage
    Thanks!

This should go well with the gift I gave him and my Brother at Christmas 2002. I made one for myself too image

• VERY WELL DONEimage

SKY
    The Sky Pilot

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    That is one great piece. I would love to receive that for fathers day!
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    That's really nice, Jeff. Your father will no doubt be very happy with his gift. Well done!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jeff ... that came out GREAT! Let us know what your dad says when he calls you to thank you!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.