Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Wow, an autographed 53 Topps Mantle just went for $4094 plus on ebay

I thought this was a strong price for the seller on a 2nd year Mantle. Went for $4094 and change a couple minutes ago. Neat card though. Had 3 bidders willing to go $4,000 or above.

Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I was shocked it went so high.
  • That signature couldn't have been put in a better place on that card. The black sharpie really stands out and the card is centered. I couldn't afford it, but I could see it going for that price.
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That signature couldn't have been put in a better place on that card. The black sharpie really stands out and the card is centered. I couldn't afford it, but I could see it going for that price. >>

• This one ended in REA last night for $2500 plus juice. Seems like a better deal:

• PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Mike,

I have to agree with you .... that's a pretty strong price for that card!

If you break it down by the grade of the card plus the grade of the sig .... it just doesn't add up to $4,000!?!

PoppaJ
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if people realize that the mint grade is not on the card...
    it seems obvious if you are spending $4k on a piece of cardboard you would know that...
    but I am not always so sure
  • Mike--I'm curious if you watched the last few minutes of that auction and how much it jumped in the last minute alone. I'm guessing it jumped $1,500 in the last minute. Am I way off there?
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike--I'm curious if you watched the last few minutes of that auction and how much it jumped in the last minute alone. I'm guessing it jumped $1,500 in the last minute. Am I way off there? >>

I only saw the last 50 seconds or so and the price didn't move while I watched it. I just happened to stumble upon it while searching for something else.

Mike

• << <i>I wonder if people realize that the mint grade is not on the card...
    it seems obvious if you are spending $4k on a piece of cardboard you would know that...
    but I am not always so sure >>

It's funny you say that. When I first saw the card my eye went right for the MINT 9 before the sig. You're right, who knows if they knew the 9 was for the auto and not the condition of the card.

• << <i>That signature couldn't have been put in a better place on that card. The black sharpie really stands out and the card is centered. I couldn't afford it, but I could see it going for that price. >>

Hi,

Me too agreed as well stunned about the bidding,, it goes so high, that is really an strong price for that card.

• csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    Mike, that was an awesome auction to win, and I know your not too concerned about potential sell value. Kudos to you.

One day, I guess i'll say 3 years from, I'll be able to spend how much you do on some beautiful signed cards, unless I have a few little ones lol.

nice pickup and an awesome grade at that!!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a sweet card an auto.

I don't think I would budget that high for a Mantle auto - but if one can afford it? Great!

mike
    Mike
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike, that was an awesome auction to win, and I know your not too concerned about potential sell value. Kudos to you.

One day, I guess i'll say 3 years from, I'll be able to spend how much you do on some beautiful signed cards, unless I have a few little ones lol.

nice pickup and an awesome grade at that!! >>

Mark,

I didn't win that one. I wouldn't have paid that much for it if I had been bidding. I try to stick to rookies and unless I could have picked it up really cheap, I wouldn't have bought it. Nice looking card though.

Mike