Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Less of a Jerkwad: Williams or Musial?

This is a question that's been burning on my membrane: Who is less of a Jerkwad? Williams or Musial?

Now I know both were outstanding players and I would never question their credentials as pure ball players. My question more relates to personality I guess, b/c both players refused to be represented on Topps cards from 59-69? for Williams and 52-58 for Musial?

In short... (and this thread will probably not repair the damage to my rep. already right or wrong)--Were these innocent contractual disputes or are one of these guys more guilty of the other for being "greedy" (i.e. a jerkwad) ??

Comments

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Describing either of these players as being a "jerkwad" because of refusing to be on Topps cards is the dumbest thing I've read on these boards in quite some time. I don't know much about Williams but Musial is a very nice guy from everything I've heard.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    williams was known for being a jerkwad to reporter and being a jerkwad to fans.

that said, you are a jerkwad
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So What Do You Think Of Ted Williams Now? is a good, quick little read that sheds a little light on Teddy Ballgame's mentality.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Ok--the title is provocative. But seriously I am trying to get at the history of both players reasons not to appear on Topps cards for several years.

Was one being more greedy than the other? I don't know of any other major ball players that just flat out refused to appear on Topps cards. Or did these guys truly feel their fame was being taken advantage by Topps for financial gain....??
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you ever heard of Google?
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    I can't call any man who gave up his career for TWO tours of duty and who spent an incredible amount of time or energy helping sick kids a jerkwad.

And from everything I have ever read or heard from a former player about Stan, he is one of the nicest guys you could ever want to meet.

Just because a player didn't want to appear on a Topps card does not make them a jerkwad.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Yes, I have heard of GOGLE. Anway, I guess there is an option that NEITHER is a jerkwad. But why did both refuse to appear on Topps cards but nobody else in that generation did the same??

Was it simply a financial thing? Was Topps paying other players the same as these 2 but they thought "I am star--I deserve compensation."??
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    but nobody else in that generation did the same??

Are you sure about that?

I thought the reason was simply because they were signed exclusively to Bowman.

Mantle, is not in the 54 and 55 Topps sets.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve, you are correct. Simple a case of a manufacturer beating another manufacturer to the punch. I'm not a fan of these exclusivity contracts.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    I am NOT sure--so you are calling Mantle a potential jerkwad? image
  • Options
    No, I was simply answering your question.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve--

I guess my ultimate question is: Were all ball players under contract w/Topps but these two stars either felt 1) the $ wasn't enough considering their accomplishments or 2) They had a contract with Bowman (Musial)/Fleer (Williams '59) that paid more and/or prevented them from appearing with Topps...??

And the final ethics question relates to if one of these stars was more difficult--dare I say greedy--and felt they deserved extra compensation before agreeing to appear on a Topps card...
  • Options
    Myself not been born untill 1974, i could not make that assumption.Anyone i have met face to face,yes, i can't make the assumption of them being a jerkwad or notimage

Ted left ball in 1952 to join the usmc in korea as a fighter pilot, so none of it was for $ thats for sure,i'm sure he made alot more $ playing ball than he did in the usmc,he just did what he thought was right.

Im not sure if spahn was in ww2 or not, but im sure both of them had better things to do besides think about cardsimage
  • Options
    lsutigers1973lsutigers1973 Posts: 11,093
    Less of a jerkwad: Mintacular or mintacular?
  • Options
    C'mon. It's a genuine question albeit a out-of-bounds title to this thread. Nobody minds beating up on Barry Bonds or Manny Ramirez for their "greed". Why not apply the same standard to older stars? My guess is one or both of these guys wanted an extra paycheck...
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Worst thread ever
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    What Morgoth said.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What Morgoth said. >>

Si'
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    As mentioned Williams put his life on the line for his country in two different wars. A-rod and Bonds would both throw their mother under a bus if it meant extra money and fame. I don't like comparing this generation of players with those from the "golden age". In my opinion there's simply no comparison...
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Options
    what summerof68 saidimage
  • Options
    Morgoth--your membership with yinzer nation is in question. Have you forgotten our Pierogi heritage? Consider our shared bond with Sauerkraut Sal, Jalapeno Hannah, and Cheese Chester before calling me out like this...
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As mentioned Williams put his life on the line for his country in two different wars. A-rod and Bonds would both throw their mother under a bus if it meant extra money and fame. I don't like comparing this generation of players with those from the "golden age". In my opinion there's simply no comparison... >>

Summer of 68 has it nailed. Great Eastwood shot as well! image
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    What's your next topic? Less of a jerkwad: Mother Teresa or Gandhi?
  • Options
    I would have to go with Gandhi as being less of a Jerk-wad. Rumor has it Mother Teresa questioned the existence of God in a journal before her death--and that's just not right because God really does exist and for her to do so is naughty.

But back to the original point, I think Ted Williams is cool for serving his country but why not man up and admit his fame went to his head and he wanted a few extra bucks from Topps??
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Here's an even better question: You're an idiot.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm getting this from a guy whose name is CDs nuts? Is your dad's name Mike Hunt?
  • Options
    what a great topic douchetacular
  • Options
    my dads name was mike huntimage
  • Options

<< <i>Here's an even better question: You're an idiot. >>

Winner, winner, chicken dinner - I concur with Lee's 'question'.
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    Before you go off on your "out of the box" theories, why don't you spend an hour doing a little research? If you did, you would discover that Stan Musial had an exclusive contract with Rawlings, which explains why he didn't appear on a gum trading card in the years 1955-57. Williams signed an exclusive with Fleer for the years 1959 and 1960, which is why he's not on a Topps card for those years. If anybody is to blame, it's the heads of the corporations who wouldn't allow their contracted players to be on another company's card. Musial is universally regarded as one of the greatest gentlemen ever to put on spikes. He was even beloved by fans from the opposing teams. In fact, the fans of the Brooklyn Dodgers gave him the nickname "Stan The Man".
  • Options
    I didn't propose a theory Mr. Smartypants, asked a question. If Musial had a contract with Rawlings from '55-57, how does it explain his absence from the years 52-55 with Topps?

And what about Mr. Williams absence from the 52-53? Your Fleer reference doesn't add up.

One or both of these guys wanted some extra dough and I'm just trying to figure out who. Not saying that makes them bad people,, makes them smart and human as well.
  • Options
    Musial was signed with Bowman in 1952-53, then Rawlings in '54. As for Williams, ever heard of the Korean War? Google is your friend, use it.
  • Options
    I must have "forgotten" that war image How come these other ball players didn't have exclusive contracts? Why did Williams have himself withdrawn from Bowman '54 but nobody else took the same action? Was he trying to line his pockets or what? Nothing wrong with that just want to know the facts. Gogle is a bad source, would rather ask you guys.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that Gogle is a bad source.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Ted Williams' frozen head says "Don't mind me. I'm just chillin.""

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>Worst thread ever >>

Yeah, until his next thread
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>This is a question that's been burning on my membrane: Who is less of a Jerkwad? Williams or Musial? >>

Are you kidding me? Both of these guys did want any of us would do, and went where the most money was. By doing so it doesnt make either a "jerkwad". It makes them smart business people. You cant compare that era of player to today's players, as the money we are talking about back then isn't anywhere near what we are talking about today. Stan Musial/Ted Williams didnt like the contract that they were offered by Topps, so he went with Bowman. To even question who the bigger "jerkwad" is between Musial and Williams, based on them not signing a contract with Topps is just plain ignorant. You're talking about an American hero who put his baseball career on hold to go fight a war in Williams, and one of the gentlman and most approachable players ever in Stan Musial.

• Options
    If that was your ultimate question Mint, hopefully it will be your last?

The answer was it was not only those two, I even gave you one other example.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Worst thread ever >>

Yeah, until his next thread >>

image Dang Mintacular, I understand you are at home and not working, but this thread is one of the worst threads ever. It seems like you are just trying to start any thread that comes to mind.

Tell us more about yourself. We know you are out of work. Are you looking for work? What do you normally do? Are you married? Any kids? Still living with mom? ????

brian
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Stop feeding the TROLL & it'll GO AWAY.
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Hey... knock a self a pro, Slick! That gray matter backlot perform us DOWN, I take TCB-in', man!

• Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    Ya right on, the fish slap is the mad notes on reality.
  • Options

Epic gif Perdue. image
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    growing up my dad hated stan musial,
    saying he was glorified, while rest of his teammates were basically 2nd fiddle....

i have no feelings either way though.
    j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Maybe in the case of Musial you can discover the man through his music....do an ebay search for musial and harmonica and get his album
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>growing up my dad hated stan musial, >>

Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen the words hate and Musial used in the same sentence.
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Im not sure if spahn was in ww2 or not, but im sure both of them had better things to do besides think about cardsimage >>

Spahn fought at the Battle of the Bulge and was field decorated and commissioned.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.