Home Sports Talk
Options

Aren't there ANY Cardinals fans on these boards?

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
... or at least SOMEONE who admires their nice start?

I knew that they would be better than the experts predicted. This is the Cardinals best start since 1944. For those that would say that this is a fluke, let me point out that the Cardinals would have won the Central last year by 5 games or more (I think I'm right about the number) if the bullpen would have just been around the league average. The Cardinals had the lead going into the 8th or 9th inning so many times last year, but the bullpen kept blowing leads. This year, the bullpen is way more consistent. Granted, the starters this year are starting off much better than anyone thought. If there is a little bit of letup, just remember that Chris Carpenter should be back within a month, and he looked very, very sharp in his two outings.

Oh, I almost forgot - the offense isn't too bad either.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Well, I think you can tell by my avatar I'm not a Cards fan. But as a guy rooting for another team that is doing better than most expected early this season, I've certainly noticed the Cards hot start. Tell your boys to slow down so we can gain on ya!!

And Pujols......for crying out loud the guy is good. Very good. And I'll admit that to anyone but fandanus.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I think you can tell by my avatar I'm not a Cards fan. But as a guy rooting for another team that is doing better than most expected early this season, I've certainly noticed the Cards hot start. Tell your boys to slow down so we can gain on ya!!

And Pujols......for crying out loud the guy is good. Very good. And I'll admit that to anyone but fandanus. >>

I think you misspelled a word...oh, I get it! image

I think his off season surgery helped his elbow.

Shane

• Options
    TrevmoTrevmo Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Cardinals all the way! I know it's still early but they are looking pretty strong so far. Pujols needs to crank a few more homers before the all-star break and get on a roll after that. I think our younger guys are really coming up but they still make a few no-brainer mistakes every now and then. Let's go Cards!

Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's and 1949 Bowman PSA 5's.
    Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's, 1949 Bowman PSA 5's, and 1949 Bowman PCL'S in any grade!
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I'm a Cardinals fan. But I trace that to Oakland being my favorite AL team ... a la Tony LaRussa.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pujols is playing out of his mind right now.

I suspect he's using a new super-steroid that can't be detected yet through normal testing.

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I wish I shared your optimism, but I just don't think the Cardinals are good enough for October baseball. After Carp and Wainwright, the starting pitching isn't real strong and the outfield production - other than the promising Rasmus - has been terrible. Maybe Ludwick will get going, but I can't help but think that his '08 was a fluke.

Then again, the Central is not very good, so 88 wins might be enough.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Hopefully the Cards can hang on until the end of the season and win the WS. Pujols is doing great but he needs to start hitting home runs like he did last week.
    Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's, 1949 Bowman PSA 5's, and 1949 Bowman PCL'S in any grade!
  • Options

<< <i>I wish I shared your optimism, but I just don't think the Cardinals are good enough for October baseball. After Carp and Wainwright, the starting pitching isn't real strong and the outfield production - other than the promising Rasmus - has been terrible. Maybe Ludwick will get going, but I can't help but think that his '08 was a fluke.

Then again, the Central is not very good, so 88 wins might be enough. >>

My optimism was on May 2 when they were hitting the cover off the ball. Now, they can't hit a beach ball thrown by my 8 year old, especially Duncan, Ankiel, and Thurston. Anytime anyone of those three come up to bat, I even have my 8 year old son saying, "Well, here is an automatic out".

Shane

• Options
    <<I even have my son saying, "Well, here is an automatic out". >>

Thats pretty funny stuff. You gotta teach 'em early. And I bet that 9 times out of 10 he is right when he says that it's an automatic out.
  • Options
    I expected nothing more than suckiness from Duncan, but really thought Ankiel was going to improve his offensive production. And the fact that DeRosa went to the DL almost immediately just seems like a harbinger of doom for this season.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    AWESOME DOUBLE PLAY 2NITE

RYAN-SKIP-ALBERT.....

SKIP is working out pretty well for an OF....
  • Options
    Larry Fitzgerald is my favorite Cardinal.
  • Options

<< <i>AWESOME DOUBLE PLAY 2NITE

RYAN-SKIP-ALBERT.....

SKIP is working out pretty well for an OF.... >>

Yep. I think Brendan Ryan is a keeper at SS.

Shane

• Options
    Cardinals just got Matt Holliday. Here's for hoping he does well. He was starting to heat up in Oakland.

Shane

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Cardinals just got Matt Holliday. Here's for hoping he does well. He was starting to heat up in Oakland. >>

I think this could really help the Cards a lot. If Ludwick and Holliday can stay hot Pujols should see some decent pitches the rest of the season. Here's hoping that this trade turns out better than their last one has so far...
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Question is, who do the Cards sit now? Obviously Holliday will play every day, but the Cards outfield is Ludwick, Rasmus and Ankiel. Will the Cards do it right and bench Ankiel in favor of Holliday, or are they going to bench the kid?
  • Options

<< <i>Question is, who do the Cards sit now? Obviously Holliday will play every day, but the Cards outfield is Ludwick, Rasmus and Ankiel. Will the Cards do it right and bench Ankiel in favor of Holliday, or are they going to bench the kid? >>

They can't bench Ludwick as he's the hottest hitter on the team right now. They won't bench Holliday because, well that would be dumb. I would think Rasmus and Ankiel will have to share center duties. And Ankiel couldn't hit himself out of a wet paper bag right now so hopefully they bench him until he get his head out of his ***.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    Sending Rasmus north of the border would be my solution. If that doesn't happen, I think the kid would have to get the nod over Ankiel most of the time.

Nice catch at the wall, though, by Ankiel just as I finished typing that.
  • Options
    And an even better one now.
  • Options
    Holliday is a great addition to STL. I think he will do just fine when he is settled in. As far as the other OF's, it could go either way for Rasmus or Ankiel. I think Rasmus still has tons of potential but Ankiel is seasoned and makes some outstanding plays in the OF. As stated earlier, his batting isn't too hot right now so Rasmus might be the better pick of the 2 IMO. We will see what happens but they need to start getting on it because we are down to less than 70 games left!

• Options
    I'm starting to think maybe the Cardinals would be better off going after some middle relief then even considering Halladay at this point. I cringe anytime anyone but Franklin comes in.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    BassPro77BassPro77 Posts: 1,152
    GO CUBBIES
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Cards look good this year, never count out LaRussa, plus it doesn't look like the rest of the divison is any good.

Kevin
  • Options
    6-1 over the first place Dodgers last night. Lookin' pretty good to me but there is still plenty of games to be played this year. Lets just hope the birds can make it happen by the end of the year.
  • Options

<< <i>6-1 over the first place Dodgers last night. Lookin' pretty good to me but there is still plenty of games to be played this year. Lets just hope the birds can make it happen by the end of the year. >>

Of course, that's with Carpenter pitching. If that's Wellemeyer pitching last night, the Cardinals loose probably lose 11-6.

Shane

• Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    im surpised they didnt add an arm....look like 1 arm would fit nicely into another championship run!
  • Options
    <<If that's Wellemeyer pitching last night, the Cardinals loose probably lose 11-6.>>

Can't argue with you on that one.