Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Heritage CSNS Auctions showing some new record high mercury dime prices.

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have started reviewing some of the mercury dime prices. While I am not commenting on the price direction of the mercury dime set as a whole, I did see some very incredibly strong prices, including some record high prices on a few mercury dimes.

1916-P 10c PCGS MS-68FB (pop 8/0) $10,350 (PCGS price guide $8500). This appears to be the 2nd highest price for auctions, highest in 2001.

1917-S 10c PCGS MS-67FB (pop 10/0) $10,350 (PCGS price guide $10,000). This appears to be a new record high for auctions at Heritage.

1920-D 10c PCGS MS-66FB (pop 13/5) $11,500 (PCGS price guide $82,50). This appears to be a new record high for auctions at Heritage.

1945-S micro-s 10c PCGS MS-67FB (pop 15/2) $8050 (PCGS price guide $5250). This also appears to be a record high for auctions at Heritage.

Any comments? Strong winning and underbidders?
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a merc dime guy, and I didn't view the coins in hand, but am told there were some amazing coins in his set. The Indian cents also were very strong and with good reason, they were gorgeous. Walkers coming up, and I think they will also be waaay up there too.

john
  • Options
    Will update with more info tonight.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    it seems clear to me we have two collectors who really wanted those
    coins. (Or two dealers who know of two collectors who are competing
    via proxy).

An anomoly most likely. Now that collector A has them... there will
    be a lack of competition for others in the same grade.
  • Options
    fc:

That is quite possible.

What may also be possible is that mercury dimes have not participated in this last bull run since 2002 with very few exceptions (such as the 1944-P and 1945-P) and may now possibly be a contrarian play for the first time in 7 years.

7 years of plenty followed by 7 years of famine and so forth.
  • Options
    dunerlawdunerlaw Posts: 387 ✭✭
    I was at the auction for the dimes only and the mercurys had the only real action.
    There were people bidding from heritage live, on the phone and from the floor.
    I was out bid on everything except the MS68FB 1945-d.
    I felt the 20d and micro-s were subpar for the grade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file