Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

John Albanese buys 1804 $1 for $2.3m

Congratulations to John, Heritage and the consignor. There's a brief Associated Press story tonight (Thursday night) about the auction. Here's a link:

AP State/Regional brief (Ohio and Texas wires)

If that doesn't work, try this link:

A different link to the AP story

I anticipate AP will have a longer story on the wire on Friday and it will probably be distributed nationwide, similar to what AP did a few days earlier with a nice pre-auction story about the Adams-Carter 1804 dollar.

-donn-
"If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....

Comments

• Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Incredible. Maybe someday I will buy or sell something that results in an AP story, but that seems highly unlikely.
    Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Wow, congratulations John! imageimage
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it CAC'ed? image
    (Someone had to ask.....)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donn.....any chance he will send it in to have the grade "fixed?"

TDimage
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    It will have a gold sticker shortly. Or it that a pink sticker ( 2 grade points overgraded?)
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to John, that should satisfy his rare coin fix for a few weeks...

And so much for a weak coin market, eh?

john
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I meant to add a congrats also. ANY 1804 is cool

Looks like a lot of "featured" coins did not sell
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats to John, that should satisfy his rare coin fix for a few weeks...

john >>

Like, we can lump all the other coins into the same class as this one. I don't think so!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I would be delighted to place a Longacre Sticker on that coin if Mr. Albanese wants to send it to me. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Dang!

I was outbid again on another 1804. image

Congrats Mr. Albanese.

Mike
  • Options
    I vote that he brings the coin to Summer Seminar and that he pass it around during his CAC lecture!
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dang!

I was outbid again on another 1804. image

Congrats Mr. Albanese.

Mike >>

In a strange sort of way, I get a kick out of putting a $1 bid on such rareties. I can say I was the high bidder on "such and such" for 'X' time. I really put such bids in so that I can track them and see where they finally are sold.
    Paul
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just a little bit bigger than a "You Suck" award.
  • Options
    I will never know how it fells to spend 2.3m on a coin! Congrats! image
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone mentioned that the dramatic story of these coins is told in The Fantastic 1804 Dollar, by Eric Newman and Kenneth Bressett.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    >>

The consignor goes down in history as one of only a handful of people to EVER lose money on a classic rarity. Call it what you will, but it's unusual.
  • Options

<< <i>Donn.....any chance he will send it in to have the grade "fixed?"

TDimage >>

I've heard rumors. Maybe we can have a round of 1804 $1 grade deflation - after all, there's a couple of points to play with on them all now. image
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    -- Has anyone mentioned that the dramatic story of these coins is told in The Fantastic 1804 Dollar, by Eric Newman and Kenneth Bressett. --

Once or twice. image

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

The consignor goes down in history as one of only a handful of people to EVER lose money on a classic rarity. Call it what you will, but it's unusual. >>

I remember the Garrett 1804 bringing $400,000, and then bringing $210,000 a few years later.
    The $400,000 figure sticks in my head because when the Linderman 1804 walked into ANACS a few months after that sale, we had a call from a dealer down in Texas who had worked out a deal with the "possessor" of the coin to buy it for the same price if we would authenticate it first. I had to tell him to not give the guy any money without telling him why.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Except the 33 gold the 400 still stands as a record.
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

The consignor goes down in history as one of only a handful of people to EVER lose money on a classic rarity. Call it what you will, but it's unusual. >>

I remember the Garrett 1804 bringing $400,000, and then bringing $210,000 a few years later.
    The $400,000 figure sticks in my head because when the Linderman 1804 walked into ANACS a few months after that sale, we had a call from a dealer down in Texas who had worked out a deal with the "possessor" of the coin to buy it for the same price if we would authenticate it first. I had to tell him to not give the guy any money without telling him why.
    TD >>

Exceptions do exist, but the vast majority of classic rarity sales have occurred for profit. Usually, the coins are in such strong hands that a profit is required to obtain ownership.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    How much did the consignor have in the coin?
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    So the guy lost maybe 20% on this coin in the past 3 years he owned it? What would he have lost if he was invested in stocks? Twice that or more? Maybe he is just going back into stocks now or real estate and feels the coin market will be slow and stocks offer a better return. If he puts this money into the stock market and makes 40% in the next year and the coin would have stayed stagnant, doesn't he come out ahead?

You can't always think about what you paid for something and not selling because you will have lost, you have to think what will give you a better return from this point forward. He can also take a nice tax write off and get back about 35% of that loss if he has gains to offset the loss with. You have to know the entire story to really comment.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Woof.

It is interesting to watch these first few Heritage sessions, the coins they involve, the hammer prices, and the discussion afterwards.

It is amazing to me how broad the dynamic range of coin purchases is. Say, from $1 dollar to $2.3 million dollars.
    The numbers are quite extreme:

Imagine a automobile that was 2.3 million times larger than another automobile.

One would be your typical size.
    The other 'car' would be so large that it would span the US from coast to coast.

• Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭

<< <i> He can also take a nice tax write off and get back about 35% of that loss if he has gains to offset the loss with. You have to know the entire story to really comment. >>

Offseet against gains? What are you talking about. The man lost millions in this sale.

CG
  • Options
    Other capital gains from other investments. There are things out there besides coins you know. I suspect that a guy who can drop $2m+ on a coin has other stuff going for him. Then again, after reading these boards, maybe not.
  • Options
    Hobby losses cannot be use to offset capital gains from other investments.

CG
  • Options
    dude, a $2M coin is not a hobby. Get a grip. Or get a better tax accountant.
  • Options

<< <i>dude, a $2M coin is not a hobby. Get a grip. Or get a better tax accountant. >>

It is for some.

Though most people of means manage to classify their hobbies in the most tax beneficial manner possible. image
  • Options

<< <i>Or get a better tax accountant. >>

Another chat room lawyer, the equivalent of a jailhouse lawyer pre-tax evasion conviction.

CG
  • Options
    Another chat room lawyer, the equivalent of a jailhouse lawyer pre-tax evasion conviction.

buddy, you pay taxes on your 'hobby' gains for coin collecting right? At least, by law, you are supposed to. So if you are required to report gains, by law, tell me why you can't report loses? You have had gains on some of your coin sales at some point right?

Last year Heritage was sending out emails telling everyone to consign coins and if they had a loss, use it to offset gains. The email also said if you had gains in coins to use your stock losses to offset those. Do you just like to argue? What is your problem?
  • Options
    I don't have a problem since I don't try to use hobby losses to offset ordinary income or gains from non-hobby related sources.

CG
  • Options
    So if you are required to report gains, by law, tell me why you can't report loses?

Because the tax code generally doesn't allow it?

Everyone's situation is specific to them, seek the advice of a tax professional.
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
    We're supposed to be reporting our gains???

• Options

<< <i>We're supposed to be reporting our gains???

image >>

Some people in this hobby actually make gains???

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>We're supposed to be reporting our gains???

image >>

Some people in this hobby actually make gains???

image >>

Not me, I have been negative since the start. image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone rang? image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    I paid $14.500K for an 1885 aluminum $10 pattern in 2000 from Heritage and sold it in 2002 for $20,700 including the juice, also at Heritage. The fellow who bought it in 2002 sold it in 2009, also at $20,700 including the juice. After 7 years, the seller did not do well with my former piece.

I remember selling it in 2002 as I grew to dislike that pattern as it was not an attractive piece even though it was exceptionally rare (R-8).

• Options
    Got any free tax advice oreville? Just kidding. image
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    wow congrats. 2.3mil is something icant even imagine
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

TD >>

Exceptions do exist, but the vast majority of classic rarity sales have occurred for profit. Usually, the coins are in such strong hands that a profit is required to obtain ownership. >>

This very same coin lost money 56 after the first recorded purchase, in fact. Of course, it did sell it in the depths of the Great Depression. The buying price in 1876 was $550 to Adams. Col. Green bought it via Max Mehl in 1932 for $340, losing more than 1/3 of its value. However, since many assets fared much worse at the time, perhaps it wasn't such a bad price.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    All anyone has to do is a search and use capital loss in the search and there is lots of postings by competent CPA's right here about capital losses. Search between 01/01/2002 to 03/31/2009.
  • Options
    Such as this:

<< <i>Re losses on coins, they are deductible on your tax returns ONLY if you are buying and selling coins as a business. An individual reports these transactions on a Schedule C. If you are being 'cute' about this, the IRS may disallow everything as a hobby loss, fine you, and all of that other happy stuff.

Whatever you do, you'd better keep good records. No records means no cost basis on the items you sold. >>

CG

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it CAC'ed? image
    (Someone had to ask.....) >>

If it isn't, you can be sure it soon will be.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

If it isn't, you can be sure it soon will be.image >>

Wanna bet?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Wanna bet? >>

TDN---I was joking. Did you see the smiley face? Obviously, a coin like this don't need no stinking CAC sticker.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Wanna bet? >>

TDN---I was joking. Did you see the smiley face? Obviously, a coin like this don't need no stinking CAC sticker.image >>

Ok. image

Actually, I think that ALL 1804 dollars DO need CAC stickers - they're the most overgraded things in existance!
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hobby losses cannot be use to offset capital gains from other investments.

CG >>

Capital gains losses from coins can certainly offset capital gains from other investments.

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    Capital gains losses from coins can certainly offset capital gains from other investments.

I've been looking thru the IRS web site and come to the same conclusion. There is a caveat. Coins are taxed at a max rate of 28%. Stocks are taxed at max rate of 15% (long term). So if you use stock gains to offset coin losses, you don't get the full benefit due to the tax rate difference.

So in this example, if this guy had a loss of $400k and stock gains of at least that amount, he would only save $60k in taxes (15% X $400k). He would be better off selling other coins or precious metals or art at a gain if he had them, and using the loss on this coin to offset gains on other coins at a 28% rate.

If someone has a specific example from the current tax code (not the code from 2001) that contradicts this, please post it.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    <<< Actually, I think that ALL 1804 dollars DO need CAC stickers - they're the most overgraded things in existance! >>>

How many grade points did the King of Siam 1804 dollar jump over the years back and forth from PCGS / NGC, something like 3 or 4 upgrades I think.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file