Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1965 set...what is going on?

I figured that I would do the 1965 set for two reasons.

1. I have always liked that card

2. Not that many people were doing a 65 set. There were 7 sets registered when I started, now there are 12. I only started in January.

In answer to a previous post of is there competition in set building, I say yes. Now that there are more people doing a 65 set, how many cards are there to go around graded 8 or better?

Competition is unavoidable
Zach

Comments

• Options
    And don't forget about people not on the registry. image
  • Options
    Zacojam - It must mean that you are a trendsetter and now that you are on board everybody else wants to be part of it.image

There are several people just starting 65 sets but most aren't that aggressive with their bidding. There were a number of low population commons that didn't even get an opening bid of $19.99 in psa 8's this past week. I was expecting huge bidding and it just didn't happen. Look at all of the competition with the 1963's or 1968's right now. I've been buying 65's for nearly 2 years and the prices have increased for some of the very low pop. cards but you can still probably buy half the set for smr or less.

In answer to your question about enough cards to go around - I believe but I'm not certain that their are twice as many 8's graded now in 65's than there was 2 years ago. If not twice it's pretty close to that. As more collectors come aboard it actually makes more dealers want to grade the 1965 commons. Hang in there and don't defect to the dark side - the 72 collector's that is.

wayne

1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    I believe the recent 65 activity will motivate more folks to submit cards to PSA for resale. If there is a market, the sellers will come. And with 65s, there is a market.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options

<< <i>Zacojam - It must mean that you are a trendsetter and now that you are on board everybody else wants to be part of it.image

There are several people just starting 65 sets but most aren't that aggressive with their bidding. There were a number of low population commons that didn't even get an opening bid of $19.99 in psa 8's this past week. I was expecting huge bidding and it just didn't happen. Look at all of the competition with the 1963's or 1968's right now. I've been buying 65's for nearly 2 years and the prices have increased for some of the very low pop. cards but you can still probably buy half the set for smr or less.

In answer to your question about enough cards to go around - I believe but I'm not certain that their are twice as many 8's graded now in 65's than there was 2 years ago. If not twice it's pretty close to that. As more collectors come aboard it actually makes more dealers want to grade the 1965 commons. Hang in there and don't defect to the dark side - the 72 collector's that is.

wayne >>

Thats me... the trend setter.image

Nah...I wouldn't defect. But it does mean I need to be a little more wise/creative about the auctions and how I go about bidding.
    Zach
  • Options
    ZACOJAM>>>> Remember this too, most of the 65 collectors have different time frames for completion. So there may be times when 2-3 or even more are taking a break from their set, so in turn you have a few less bidders going for 65's. Plus, we saw how long the bidding wars lasted last week. On-the-mark's auctions went crazy the first week, and only 4 days later there where auctions of low pop cards ending under SMR with no bidders. And with another group ending Saturday, the prices are even lower. With patience, smart bidding, and a little luck you will have no problem completing your set. I'm glad you are not defecting either!!

metalmike20