Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Problem Slabs??

Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
imageimage

This is a two topic post. First, here are my first pictures with my Nikon Coolpix 5400. Second, if you will note on these slabs there are what appear to be cracks (or lines, not sure) and/or deformities. On the Lincoln there is a crack at the 9:00 position this goes horizontally to the edge of the circle in the slab as you can see. Off to the right on the opposite side you see a slight warp if you will. On the half, there is a crack that runs from the "T" in Liberty to the edge of the slab and directly opposite that position from the boat in the water to the edge of the circle of the slab. Of the two, the Statue of Liberty is much harder to see without holding it.

I was wondering if this is normal or not. The crack/line or whatever it is is on the top and bottom of the slab. It almost looks as if the "lines" were there when it was slabbed. I dont see any indication that there are any actual cracks, it looks more like lines and I cannot feel anything with my fingers. As for the slight warping on the Lincoln, that seems to be another product of production rather than some kind of melting or post slab damage. I cannot be sure and I was wondering if anyone has any slabs like this. If there is something wrong with the slabs and it is from the actual slabbing process do I have any recourse with PCGS?

Thanks for your input
Rob the Newbie

Comments

• Options
    those are probably just indentations in the rubber o-ring surrounding the coin that holds it in place in the plastic.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Those are just graded coins you sent in?
    If not have to pay to get them reholdered. $10 per coin.
  • Options
    I wish I had better pics. They are not slabs I sent in, they are ones I have had for a while and thought I would post some pictures. If you tilt the slabs away from you and look at them at an angle, the lines appear to be two seperate lines with space between them in the middle of the slab. Almost like the lines are in the top and bottom portions of the plastic slab but I am not sure since I really don't know how the slabs are produced.

I was wondering if this is a manufacturing defect that I could get fixed at no cost or if I need to have them reslabbed and pay the $10.
    Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woulden't be worth the fee to have them reslabed.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish I had better pics. They are not slabs I sent in, they are ones I have had for a while and thought I would post some pictures. If you tilt the slabs away from you and look at them at an angle, the lines appear to be two seperate lines with space between them in the middle of the slab. Almost like the lines are in the top and bottom portions of the plastic slab but I am not sure since I really don't know how the slabs are produced.

I was wondering if this is a manufacturing defect that I could get fixed at no cost or if I need to have them reslabbed and pay the $10. >>

Call PCGS Customer Service at 1-800-447-8848.

This should be a "no charge" reholder since the coin gasket should not crack. It is relatively soft and pliable and I believe yours are defective and should never have been used.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Thanks for the help 19Lyds image
    Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

This should be a "no charge" reholder since the coin gasket should not crack. It is relatively soft and pliable and I believe yours are defective and should never have been used. >>

The gaskets are sometimes scored so they can be wrapped around the coin. It is not connsiderd a defect.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file