Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

does paypal have a rule that the seller must have postive feedback or they will have a 21 day hold

alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭
I just won an item on ebay and the SELLER sent me this message:
If you pay thru paypal you must leave positive feedback first and then pay, this is due to the 21 day or positive feed back rule they have. If you dont leave positive feedback first or send money thru my email thru your paypal acct. they hold my money for 21 days rule

can you advise if this is true
thanks

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like he's a new(er) seller. He can't access the money you send him through PayPal until you leave positive feedback or some time elapses (21 days?). Whatever...he's twisting the facts. He should send you the coin when you pay for it and not when he can transfer it to his bank account.
    Lance.
  • Options
    pay him through Paypal, But donot leave feedback until you have received the item and are satisfied.
    the seller should have just asked to please leave positive feedback after you receive the item and are happy otherwise if no feedback is left it ties the money up for 21 days and then is released. the seller is a newbie.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    the rule is correct but you aren't supposed to leave positive feedback until you get the item. The intent is to make sure sellers without feedback deliver. You shouldn't leave feedback until you receive the item. --Jerry
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    I would say that you want to pay, and that you will pay, and that after payment is received, he sends you a tracking number immediately and that if things are all fine and dandy, you will leave positive feedback. Sounds like somebody I would avoid just in that snippet you pasted. Yikes!!!

I've never had a problem with new sellers who I've bought from who went through this. They rode it out and did get their positive feedback and such and we're talking thousands of dollars in one transaction a seller had to wait. And I was *very* happy with him. Guess not everybody feels 'good' about selling things...
  • Options
    mark511mark511 Posts: 364 ✭✭
    If you have less then 100 feedbacks, they will hold your money for 21 days unless you can provide delivery confirmation. I just crossed the threshold. It was strange that sometime they would hold the funds and sometimes not. Even if the transactions were for the same amount.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you have less then 100 feedbacks, they will hold your money for 21 days unless you can provide delivery confirmation. I just crossed the threshold. It was strange that sometime they would hold the funds and sometimes not. Even if the transactions were for the same amount. >>

Correct. The intent is to protect buyers from sellers that have not proven (to paypal) themselves reliable. To claim "you must leave positive feedback first and then pay" amounts to feedback extortion as it implies premature feedback is required. Ignore the "demand" for feedback until after you have received and are satisfied with the item.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To claim "you must leave positive feedback first and then pay" amounts to feedback extortion as it implies premature feedback is required. Ignore the "demand" for feedback until after you have received and are satisfied with the item. >>

Ed
  • Options
    Everyone makes this so much harder then needed. Simply ask the seller to ad a tracking number to the package, once the package arrives they release his money. Yes there is the 100 feedback rule but they will only hold the money without delivery confirmation. Simply ad a tracking number and call it a day.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    I don't know of any such insane rule that would have a buyer leave positive feedback PRIOR to receiving his/ her goods!

As for the 21 day hold on funds - I would tend to believe that such funds would be held till proof of delivery has been verified.

Sounds like the seller doesn't quite have it all together just yet!

Best advice - pay using PayPal and cease further communication till you receive your item.

If the seller is fool-hearted, trying to cut corners by NOT PROVIDING ONLINE TRACEABILITY ...

he or she is ASKING to be negged, have his items given away AND funds given BACK to his/ her buyers.

Sellers that overcharge on S/H or send material in plain envelopes with NO Delivery Confirmation
    WILL BE MADE to learn costly lessons and soon WILL change their ways of shipping.

To ship with no leg to stand on is asking to be parted with material AND money!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file