Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New MPL pickup from Heritage

robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
Picked up another MPL. This one from Heritage. The Heritage images weren't bad, but didn't show any toning, but did show quite a bit of luster. I was going to place a bid anyway, but before I did, I plugged in the cert number into the PCGS Cert Verification page and they had a Trueview. That image made my mind up me.

Heritage Images

TrueView

Comments

• Options
    WOW! Heritage pics SUCK! That true view is amazing and that coin is amazing! Nice pick up.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    imagethere bob
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    imagethere bob
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how can a seller allow Heritage to do that to their coin??? seems almost negligent!
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    What a score !!!!!
    Congrats on the thought process as well, good thinkin.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    This just enforces it, Heritrage must do something about those pics. I would be peeved beyond belief if they took that coin and put up those pics, a travesty.
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the same coin? Unbeliveable!!!

Really proves all of the comments regarding Heritage's need to improve it's images. Unless your viewing the coin in-hand (or lucky enough to find a TrueView) an Internet Bidder is at a real disadvantage and Heritage offers a disservice to potential bidders.

Pretty coin!!!
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Whoa!...huge difference....wtg image that's a pretty Lincoln...
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for giving away the big secret.

Wow I wish I would have thought to do that. Great score.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! What a difference. image
  • Options
    ROFL.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing. Wow.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    NICE!!! Looks like a lot of high priced items didnt sell based on post auction buys.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    What picture is more accurate?
    I have bought a coin that had pics that look like the pcgs trueview and when it came it looked like the Heritage pics.
  • Options
    I had to add this,

If I was a consignor to Heritage Id be less than thrilled with the quality of their pictures. I know not everyone can pull off a truview type picture, but come on! Their picture is just crappy and does the seller any good when the hammer falls. JMHO
  • Options
    truly most coins need about 3 images to best represent them

but i'd be in a line with if a coin has a true-view....show that suckah heritage

• Options
    This is one of those threads where you learn. If your serious about some better coins, either pay a pro a fee to view for you, or ante up the airfare. It looks to me like it would pay for itself in auction ( or coin ) or two.

I have used the services of a pro before, it does pay off.
  • Options
    Obviously I don't have it yet, but will post pics when I get it. I have an idea what it will look like, possibly a mixture of the two. Subtle toning with luster, nothing wrong with that.image
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    robec, i am hoping for the best outcome for you!

please share your pics with us when the time comes. those truview
    pics are outstanding and i hope the coin looks like that in hand.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a winner!!
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Did you feel like the coin didn't reach a premium price since the Heritage pictures were sub-par? Do you feel like the coin would have fetched (much) more if the TrueView images were provided in the auction? Lastly, do you think that you got a good deal on the coin since the Heritage images make it look rather bland?
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    Well, we can also MAYBE assume that Andy, Brian, Ira, Charmy all also looked at the coin in hand, and it sold for what it did anyways. Those folks would be looking at resale potential tho, and had to have a margin built in, if your a strict collector, I can probably say you came out on the better end of this deal. Can't wait for your pics when you receive it.
  • Options

<< <i>Did you feel like the coin didn't reach a premium price since the Heritage pictures were sub-par? Do you feel like the coin would have fetched (much) more if the TrueView images were provided in the auction? Lastly, do you think that you got a good deal on the coin since the Heritage images make it look rather bland? >>

Yes, yes and yes. I'll know more and have more educated answers after I have it in hand. I'm sure the economy played a part, but if the coin appears how I imagine it to be, the price would be substantially higher had it landed in hands other than a collector. I paid only $500 more than an example one grade lower that I purchased 2 years ago. The jump from 65 to 66 in this series is normally much higher despite what the price guide will lead you to believe.

I do think the images provided by Heritage do the seller a great disservice. I also know that TrueViews make the coin much more appealing due to the placement of strategic lighting positions for optimal color and toning effect, but usually at the expense of diminished luster. The Heritage photo does exhibit luster, but beyond that doesn't give many clues as to the real appearance of the coin. I sold a complete set of cameo and DCam/UCam Franklin's at Heritage in January. Whether better images by Heritage would have made me more money is nothing but a guess, but in my mind I do think I lost a few thousand because of them.
  • Options
    Since you feel like you do about heritage's images, would you consign with them in the future, or would you be hesitant?

I feel like Longacre today image
  • Options
    CarlWohlforthCarlWohlforth Posts: 11,074
    The poor photos might not hurt prices all that much. After all, as was pointed out above, lots of people looked at the coin in hand...
  • Options

<< <i>The poor photos might not hurt prices all that much. After all, as was pointed out above, lots of people looked at the coin in hand... >>

True, but I believe there were also many collectors who considered bidding on the coin, or were bidders on the coin, that did not get the chance to look at the coin in hand. Some people don't have the means or the ability to fly or travel to a lot viewing, and rely solely on the pictures in the auction.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photo arbitrage, the New Frontier! image

BTW, nice-looking coin.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    WOW! Heritage pics SUCK! That true view is amazing..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file