Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I hate it when I can't tell what the upside is on a coin.

I was offered a coin today, that while it was extremely attractive, was enough outside of my knowledge zone that I ultimately passed... although it's going to bug me not knowing what I might have been able to flip it for. image

1900 Morgan dollar, PCGS PR62... blast white, no toning or haze, minimal (and I do mean minimal) hairlines. Reverse was cameo, obverse was not.

In a rattler holder.

To my untrained eye it looked like a 64-65 to me, *BUT* I know that proofs are graded differently than circulation strikes. Cheek was pristine, but then again presumably you would expect that on a proof.

I spent quite a bit of time searching the Heritage archives, Teletrade, eBay, etc.... and the results on morgan proofs are all over the board.

I ultimately came to the conclusion that I simply couldn't predict what I'd be able to sell the coin for.

The asking price was equivalent to 62 greysheet if you extrapolate 60-63. The problem being I saw 62s selling for as little as $1,400 online, although they weren't PCGS rattlers.

It was expensive enough that I couldn't afford to simply take a gamble on the coin.

It's buggin' me...

*harumph*

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file