Home U.S. Coin Forum

1919-D MS66 Walking Liberty half sells for $218,000 +!

This is not my series at all, but the design has always interested me.

Can anyone please tell me why this coin sold for this amount?

Im not trying to sound sarcastic or anything, I just did not realize Walking Liberty halfs were hitting these kinds of numbers...

edited to add: If anyone can post pics of this coin, Id greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• If I had that kind of money to toss around I'd have VF-XF circ cam Capped bust and Seated coins stacked to the ceiling... I can't imagine spending that much on one coin.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A key date that's generally weakly struck... the 66 is a condition and strike rarity.

Here's the 66 that sold for $271K a few years ago... this would fit nicely in my box of 20! image

imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1919-D in MS66 is pop 1/0 at PCGS. By comparison, there are 4 1921-P and 3 1921-D in 66 at PCGS.
    When in doubt, don't.
    Can anyone please tell me why this coin sold for this amount?

Just for example a AU58 19-D normally sells for $5K...

A AU58 without the normally weakly struck centers and full thumb definition sold for $13K about 3-5 years ago.

$218,000 +! isn't far fetched as a MS65 sells for $80-120K on average.
  • Ahhhhh, gotcha guys. I figured condition rarity or something, just not my series... Anyone know how many 65's are graded at PCGS??? image
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ahhhhh, gotcha guys. I figured condition rarity or something, just not my series... Anyone know how many 65's are graded at PCGS??? image >>

pop report shows 10 ms65 1919-d's
  • That coin paired with the ms66 21-s are two of my dream coins.
  • WOW! SO even if you wanted to try to upgrade one of them, chances are none will as theyve more than likely been tried before?

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The strike...rules!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Mintage of 1,165,000. I realize it's a pop top but...
    Mintage of 1,165,000. I realize it's a pop top but...

Mintage is still quite low as they heavily circulated with no known hoards.

This isn't a 1938-D where discussing which although under 500K minted just didn't circulate anywhere near the same.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mintage of 1,165,000. I realize it's a pop top but... >>

1919 saw a reflexive economic downturn after the great war and the
    economic and social impact of the spanish flu. Relatively few half dol-
    lars would be saved under these conditions and then many of those
    that were would be forced back into circulation by the great depression
    only ten years later. Collectors of the time couldn't anticipate the mod-
    ern desire for well made coins and the '19-D was rarely well made. Ma-
    ny were struck by worn dies.

This is one of the toughest walkers in nice shape as most were allowed
    to become well worn.

Supply is determined by the number set aside, not the number made.
    It isn't unusual for coins to be set aside in sufficient quantity but most
    later released or destroyed. Quality '19-D's were a little tough even
    in 1919 though.

The 1919 recession was hardest on the lowest classes.
    Tempus fugit.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THIS IS A VERY RARE COIN IN THAT GRADE

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    I must admit that is a pretty sharp coin, but considering the still weak strike and the crazy price, I think I'll pick a different date for my type set! image
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of accurate commentary already. I'll also add that although the 21S has long been known as the king of the MS walkers, the 19D is actually tougher in the top pops - not even considering strike.

I sold a whizzed/retoned XF45 to a knowledeable dealer/hoarder for $1000 last year - it had a nearly full head and full central hand details, best detailed circ 19D either of us had ever seen.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked it better at $5400, which is what I paid for it when it first appeared raw in Bowers' Emory Nichols Collection sale. (Unfortunately, I sold it shortly thereafter.)
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Good grief! I could think of a few dozen coins I'd like to buy with that stash

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • << I liked it better at $5400, which is what I paid for it when it first appeared raw in Bowers' Emory Nichols Collection sale. (Unfortunately, I sold it shortly thereafter.)>>

So this was a raw coin, priced at $5400, and ended up in a MS PCGS slab, and sold at auction for $218K?
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    It IS a pretty coin, Laura tossed it at me as i stopped by to say hello a couple hours ago. However, IMHO no Walker is worth $220k! But if you had that much to spend on a walker, this would be it! image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Thanks for the in hand opinion there Speety! I bet youre having fun there huh?

• Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< I liked it better at $5400, which is what I paid for it when it first appeared raw in Bowers' Emory Nichols Collection sale. (Unfortunately, I sold it shortly thereafter.)>>

So this was a raw coin, priced at $5400, and ended up in a MS PCGS slab, and sold at auction for $218K? >>

The Emery-Nichols sale was in 1984.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Even still. 1984-2009, $5400-$218000+... NICE score for someone!
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    While I appreciate the difficulty of strike/grade etc... I can think of a dozen coins I would rather have for a fraction of that price.
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Quite honestly the thing that surprised me most wasn't the price or even the quality (in hand it's ALL there!), the holder is trashed! Someone please reholder that thing! image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Even still. 1984-2009, $5400-$218000+... NICE score for someone! >>

Looks like a lot, but it's about a 5.5% compound annual return.

Russ, NCNE
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Okay, ignore that stupid post. I need to learn how to use a calculator.

Russ, NCNE
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ: You were quite good on those MS-64 walkers you used to own and showed us before you sold them.

As far as your ability to discuss financial calculations on walkers of any other grade other than MS-64 you have got to be kidding me! image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file