Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

a triple head lincoln i think is kool

looks like it was a fun night at the mint

btw...not mine...just popped up on tha bay...enjoy

imageimage

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Comments

• Options
    Whoa! Thats crazy looking!
  • Options
    very cool, wonder what year...
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of these are from 1964 and 1965...

Also IMHO manufactured for profit as Error Collecting was getting a lot of buzz in the 60's.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    its a mutant
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    OK, you call it....heads or tails?
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, you call it....heads or tails? >>

UUUUMMMMM HEADS!!image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LINK-LINK-LINK

The reverse hub style (small FG) is pre-1973. The obverse hub style (IGWT close to rim) looks like a 1968, but could be a year or two earlier.

Definitely had help getting struck, but in the Mint so that makes it "genuine."

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that very much!!
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely worth the BIN and, the way the error market works, if it was already PCGS would have sold already.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Very neat! I had a flipover strike Jefferson nickel at one time, but never a Lincoln with three heads.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a Counterfeit Triple Strike -

The first normal strike is genuine,
    and the other two are Counterfeit.

These are from the mid to late '60's.

NOT GENUINE

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang. Well, there you go.

peacockcoins

• Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    ANACS disagrees.

imageRIP
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Capt Henway: Definitely had help getting struck, but in the Mint so that makes it "genuine."

Fred Weinberg: It's a Counterfeit Triple Strike - The first normal strike is genuine, and the other two are Counterfeit.
    These are from the mid to late '60's. NOT GENUINE

Okay gentlemen... TO THE THUNDERDOME!!@!

Two experts enter.. ONE EXPERT LEAVES!

image Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ANACS is wrong - plain and simple.

That coin, and others that are in the older ANACS
    holders, are counterfeits -

I am 1,000% sure of this - I know these counterfeits,
    and have seen them and studied them for over 40 years.

These are the type of D/S that were pictured in the
    Spadone book on Errors - a horrible reference book,
    but one of the earlier ones on Mint Errors......
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    I will defer to Fred on this one. I did not want to challenge ANACS without seeing the coin in person, as they seemingly did. The prooflike fields of the off-center strikes made me think it was one of the "Dr. Berry" era errors deliberately made at the San Francisco Mint and smuggled out in the oil pan of a forklift truck.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Fred knows what he's talking about here.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Didn't Coin World's articles on Chinese counterfeits have a final section on "error" coins? This seems like the sort of thing to expect from the Chinese.
  • Options
    Yes, we can expect this type of Error
    from the Chinese sources, and I've
    seen the Coin World display that
    has some dramatic, but just-made,
    Large Cent "major errors"

These Lincolns, mostly dated 1963/64/65,
    are from that era, and are not recent counterfeits.....

(these NG D/S's are on other dates too)
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...........fred is gonna get the nick-name 'rain man' for raining on that guys parade..image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    It may be counterfeit but it sure seems like a cool collectible counterfeit. I wonder if there is a way to get ANACS to re-purchase this and remove it from the slab?
  • Options

<< <i>I will defer to Fred on this one. I did not want to challenge ANACS without seeing the coin in person, as they seemingly did. The prooflike fields of the off-center strikes made me think it was one of the "Dr. Berry" era errors deliberately made at the San Francisco Mint and smuggled out in the oil pan of a forklift truck.
    TD >>

CaptHenway, I'm not seeing any PL / Prooflike fields on this business strike example based on the sellers images image
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>ANACS is wrong - plain and simple.

That coin, and others that are in the older ANACS
    holders, are counterfeits -

I am 1,000% sure of this - I know these counterfeits,
    and have seen them and studied them for over 40 years.

These are the type of D/S that were pictured in the
    Spadone book on Errors - a horrible reference book,
    but one of the earlier ones on Mint Errors...... >>

I concur... Fred is 1000+ correct.. Plain and simple.. Have you ever seen a error like this perfectly matched with angled hits.. Almost impossible..

Futhermore, I just can't see the die or the coin moving that coin at the perfect angle while being struck.. That is one reason a real novice could heed caution right away..

Anacs speaks for itself.. Hell, I had 3 cool 8 reales dollars with off center strikes that were swooped from the depths of the sea and Anacs couldn't deemed them authentic.. So that was the last time I wasted time and money on that slabbing company..
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I will defer to Fred on this one. I did not want to challenge ANACS without seeing the coin in person, as they seemingly did. The prooflike fields of the off-center strikes made me think it was one of the "Dr. Berry" era errors deliberately made at the San Francisco Mint and smuggled out in the oil pan of a forklift truck.
    TD >>

CaptHenway, I'm not seeing any PL / Prooflike fields on this business strike emaple based on the sellers images image >>

Look at the closeup of the genuine reverse with the two fake obverse strikes that has the dark grey background. Don't those obverse fields look rather shiny?
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Fake.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It may be counterfeit but it sure seems like a cool collectible counterfeit. I wonder if there is a way to get ANACS to re-purchase this and remove it from the slab? >>

..........good point, ben. and certainly worth pursuing.
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>Look at the closeup of the genuine reverse with the two fake obverse strikes that has the dark grey background. Don't those obverse fields look rather shiny? >>

Looks like it's just light bounce as the other two strikes are concave.

Anyhow I called it as a manufactured error on April 30th image

• Options
    OffMetalOffMetal Posts: 1,684
    I'm pretty sure that the seller acquired the coin on the bay quite a few years ago... I've seen this somewhere before...

Now that it's been pointed out, the two fake obverse strikes are not right. It looks like it was struck without a collar.
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    The 2 reverses on the obv meet togeter but neither overlapps the other as if the die was not complete. Same with the obverses on the reverse, look at how they meet like they don't overlapp like the die was not complete. Makes me think it might have been rolled on by a jewelers rolling tool. (maybe someone knows the right word for that jewelers tool)

It's well done if it's fake and I'm not good enough to be 100% sure but I would not assume it's real.

Ed
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    That really is a neat coin. Especially this year, the 100th Ann

of the Lincoln penney and the 200 Ann of his birth. Well done

indeedimage
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread deserves a TTT.image

Leave a Comment