Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

An Edw. VII Penny

A Newp that just arrived, even though I paid over book for it I'm still quite pleased. A 1909 in NGC 64 Red, pop 2/1 in Red and 4/5 including brown and red brown. It really is full red in spite of my poor image, and with a very strong strike.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    The reverse seems particularly well struck. Very nice indeed!
  • Options
    Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, but were the farthings the only UK coins which were artificially darkened during this time? Or were 1/2d and 1d's darkened also?

I believe I read somewhere that the farthings were artificially darkened between 1897 and 1917, due to them being easily confused with a sovereign when they were too shiney. So, saying that, I would assume it only applied to farthings.

Nevermind.

BTW, Nice coin! Beautiful strike. The Britannia reverse is really starting to grow on me!
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, but were the farthings the only UK coins which were artificially darkened during this time? Or were 1/2d and 1d's darkened also?

I believe I read somewhere that the farthings were artificially darkened between 1897 and 1917, due to them being easily confused with a sovereign when they were too shiny. So, saying that, I would assume it only applied to farthings.

Not so - please see Brit Tip #5
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Interesting! Thanks for the info.image