Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Do Darksiders care about die marriages...

... anywhere as much as Lightsiders? For me, no. What say you???

Gary
Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary

Comments

• DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

I can't say i have zero interest, but pretty close
  • mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    There's some interest in them for collectors of Australian coins. Primarily in the pre-decimal series, there's a little interest in the decimal series but nowhere near as much. Judging from some 40 year old Australian coin journals I have the interest in die marriages was a higher back then. Key coins of interest are the various so called 'mule' pennies of the 1950's where Melbourne dies were used with Perth dies, and pennies of the 1920's and 30's. The 1931 'dropped 1' Indian Obverse penny and the 1930 'Indian Obverse' penny are supposedly among the two rarest non pattern/proof Australian coins available.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I know of a few people that collect Vicky shillings by die number, and a few collectors of Geo. III halfpennies that worry about die states and marriages, but not like the lightsiders at all.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do Darksiders care about die marriages... >>

I am flattered that you would ask, but my wife and I are very happy together.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm about a 10% Darksider and 90% Lightsider, and I care 0% about die marriage varieties in either arena. For me, it's just splitting hairs too minutely.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varieties? Always

Die Marriages? Case by case basis

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• << <i>

<< <i>Do Darksiders care about die marriages... >>

I am flattered that you would ask, but my wife and I are very happy together. >>

Gary

• << <i>Varieties? Always

Die Marriages? Case by case basis >>

I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding varieties. But the die marriage thing seems to get really out of control with the Lightsiders. A thread from today is making a bunch of hoopla about a rare die marriage of an 1833 1/2 dime. Just my observation. I'm glad to be a Darksider.

Gary

Gary
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Not a bit.

Sometimes the Freeman die pairings the bronze coinage are of interest, but I'm more interested in the dates themselves for the most part.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell yes! Of course, I'm a half dime geek that just mascarades from time to time as a darksider image
  • bosoxbosox Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

For me, not at all; I personally find the concept tedious and boring image . JMO -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    I used to but not now. Cost was the major factor along with the fact that most varieties are very much minor and also undocumented. Too daunting to complete.
  • Just varieties myself
  • PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Just types for me, as defined by Krause.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Die marriages are bit picayune for me, whether I am on the Dark Side or the Lite.