Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

(Close-up) CPG new IHC Snow-5 listing QUESTION - **1864 PICS Added**

I picked up a beautiful raw 1864 CN IHC with die polish, at a recent coin show & recently found that it was a listed Snow-5 (die polish in ear area) variety in the 5th Edition CPG (which I just purchased).

According to the CPG the Universal Rarity Scale (URS) is listed as 2 (2 known examples), since you see all the cool IHC varieties and get more info on who has found what, can you possibly give a better estimate of how many of these may exist and/or how many are known at this point?

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Why don't you try emailing him?
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

..........how 'bout a pic, Raquel? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    That's funny,

I was looking at that in the CP guide today.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

.........this is in the newest picker guide you say?image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    AskRaqAskRaq Posts: 2,303
    Well tahoe, I am trying to locate where I packed up my old Sony Mavica (awesome camera) because the new Sony SLR isn't giving me anything in the way of good coin photos - I can't even get a clear enough macro to really see the die polish at all.

Tdec - I haven't tried emailing him yet because I figured this might be of interest to others on the board too, so I thought I'd post my question here first.

And yes, this is a newly added listing to The Cherrypicker's Guide: 5th Edition, Volume #1

Page # 34
    1864, Copper-Nickel FS-01-1864-401 Snow-5
    Variety: Polished Die
    PUP: Ear
    URS-2 (2 examples known - at this early point it would be an R-8 on the Sheldon scale with 1-3 pieces known)
    I-2 (minimal interest)
    L-2 (liquidity - might sell in time...)
  • Options
    Mr. Snow is a member here, and posts often.

As for your sweet new find, Congrats! I dont collect this series, but CPG rarity numbers should not be looked at like they are set in stone. Also, the prices in there seem abit off too.
  • Options

<< <i> I dont collect this series, but CPG rarity numbers should not be looked at like they are set in stone. Also, the prices in there seem abit off too. >>

I agree that the rarity numbers are likely way off for this piece (especially since it is just newly listed) I figured some members here may have one, and that Rick Snow may have knowledge of more examples since the printing of this new edition.

Question on the CPG prices being off - are they generally higher than realistic prices, or lower??
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The S5 is a low interest variety, due to its nature as just having die file marks, although they are quite dramatic.

The prices in the CPG are supposed to be buy prices, so they may seem low.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>The S5 is a low interest variety, due to its nature as just having die file marks, although they are quite dramatic.

The prices in the CPG are supposed to be buy prices, so they may seem low. >>

Thanks Rick for responding... but could you possibly give a more *educated guesstimate* of the possible population of this variety?
  • Options
    (Poor quality) Pics added to first post ~
  • Options
    Also added a digital microscope close-up of the die polish around the ear - the coin was rotated to catch the best light, so the bottom left-hand side is the hair curl in front of the ear & to the right side is the ear & lobe area.
  • Options
    Wondering if anyone in the Sunday afternoon crowd has a similar example that they can post a better pic of?
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Wondering if anyone in the Sunday afternoon crowd has a similar example that they can post a better pic of? >>

Afternoon, it's merely 10 here image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>7070 >>

Are you saying it should be in a 7070?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file