Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Breen's Complete Encyclopedia Now Online!

Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. & Colonial Coins image

WOW!

700+ Pages...

5 Pounds image

I'd better get started... image

Here's the Announcement... Susan Headley, About.com
UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
Beats All The Lies You Can Invent

Comments

• Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Let the controversy begin.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    Obiwancanoliy April 30, 2009

Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. & Colonial Coins

WOW! 700+ Pages... 5 Pounds

I'd better get started... Here's the Announcement... Susan Headley, About.com

This has been discussed before and the consensus of opinion, if memory serves correctly, is that
    the person making this available has no legal right to do so. If this is in fact the case, it raises some
    unpleasant questions, chief among which is what other books will be put on line. How many authors
    care to run the risk of someone using their work in this manner?

Denga
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    We not only had permission to do so, we plan on eventually re-doing the online version to allow those who have disagreements with breen about certain numismatics to add their opinions.

That's months down the road.

In the meantime, enjoy.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I am ok with this.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I don't actually have real work to do while I am at work and now this comes up. Could you do me a favor and add an occasional page with some computer code in it so that in case my boss stops by my cube I can flip to that page and make it look like I am doing something work related?

Really cool...and I will read it end to end...

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We not only had permission to do so, we plan on eventually re-doing the online version to allow those who have disagreements with breen about certain numismatics to add their opinions.

In the meantime, enjoy. >>

Awesome! A lengthy endeavor, for certain. image
    I'm looking forward to the edits, clarifications and corrections. image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We not only had permission to do so, we plan on eventually re-doing the online version to allow those who have disagreements with breen about certain numismatics to add their opinions.

• Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    Thanks! I have the book version, but this is so much easier, especially when I am traveling.

Finem Respice
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    I'm really glad to see this.
  • Options
    There's a lot planned. It's a lot of work.

We are open to suggestions as to how to enhance it , without changing anything. I know that sounds like a play on words. What I mean is the book won't be changed but if at all possible to allow input from those who have numismatic issues, disagree with any of Breen's work, Should it be included somehow? How? Anything else?

Bear in mind that it's still basically in the testing stage. We have not done any tests to see if in fact it's complete and working. But we're working on it. Soon as we're 100% sure then we'll mention our own ideas of what we would like to do and how much further we would like to take it.
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    thanks. looks like a good resource
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    This has been posted a couple of times before, just do a search for breen.

That said, I am all for this as long as the book is out of print and as Tom says, they have permission from the legal copyright holders.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This has been posted a couple of times before, just do a search for breen.

That said, I am all for this as long as the book is out of print and as Tom says, they have permission from the legal copyright holders. >>

• Options
    Here's an update on About.Com

About.Com Update on the Online Breen Encyclopedia

Lots of work still to be done. If you have suggestions as to what you would like to see added, shoot them over to me.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for making this book available image
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    wow, I haven't seen it before but heard much about it/him

very impressive text for the sections I read
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Tom for this incredible contribution to the online Numismatic community. image

<< <i>Here's an update on About.Com

About.Com Update on the Online Breen Encyclopedia

Lots of work still to be done. If you have suggestions as to what you would like to see added, shoot them over to me. >>

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I have the book, but this is so much more convenient. Added a shortcut to my desktop for quick reference.

THANKS Tom, this is GREAT!

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RE: How to add comments without making changes. Just check with your local court reporter. They have this down to an art. Basically when the transcript of a deposition is completed the deponent is provided a copy. Attached to the copy are blank pages with instructions on how to reference the transcript and make corrections. The original transcript remains as transcribed, but it is easy to note the indexed corrections.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A big "thank-you" to Tom Pilitowski and Steve Deeds of B&M for making this important reference available to the numismatic community at-large! (Just as my second hand copy is losing its strong tobacco aroma from the previous owner)
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    I noticed that you have to make an acct. to access the book now. I made an acct. but I never got the activation email. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I noticed that you have to make an acct. to access the book now. I made an acct. but I never got the activation email. Has anyone else had this problem? >>

me too! put my registration in Sunday, nothing yet (Monday)
  • Options
    TreemanTreeman Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    I tried it 5 minutes ago, and I already got the email with the link that let me in. I'm activated!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that they have your mailing address and your e-mail address, let us know how much junk mail and spam you get and let us know if it was worth it. Also, what's to prevent them from selling this information to others?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

imageRIP

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file