Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nice to start the day with a Gold Dollar buy! 1860 S

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yes yes yes raw she is, but well circulated....and from a well respected dealer. The 1860 S mintage 13,000 est.300-400 surviving coins, these gold dollars represent the tail end of the gold rush, and were put into circulation when they were minted. While a lot of earlier and a lot of later gold dollars saw a cushy life of the collector cabinet or the charm bracelet, many of these branch mints worked hard day in and day out.

Anyway, despite the fuzzy pics, I pulled the trigger this AM after I found a nice payment had been dumped into my paypal account. Now nearly 12% into the gold dollar series, I'm enjoying these coins more and more~

The goal, as always, is to collect this series for the looooong term. This coin carries a weight of 6 for the PCGS set composition...quite high considering the ultra rare 1875 with a mintage of 400 carries a 7. PCGS pop on the coin is 82 (soon to be 83). An excellent buy I feel at $315 given the rarity of the coin. If these same mintage/survivor numbers were transposed to say....Lincolns, such as if there were 13000 1910 D pennies struck, and 300 survive OMG you would have a rarity in that series to top all others. (for whatever point that analogy makes image )

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good for you ambro...

On your marks !
    Get set....

GO.................................................................LD
  • Options
    Can you imagine how many times that little coin was plunked down on a bar for a shot of some strong Whiskey? It probably spent its whole life in California.....

If only coins could talk to us and tell us their story image

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can you imagine how many times that little coin was plunked down on a bar for a shot of some strong Whiskey? It probably spent its whole life in California..... >>

In the late 1800s it could have bought a whole bottle of whiskey. image
  • Options
    yeah but were in gold rush California, prices were inflated
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>It probably spent its whole life in California.....If only coins could talk to us and tell us their story image >>

So, did you buy it from a California Dealer? image

BTW - Sweet NewP once again image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file