Home Sports Talk
Options

New book say A-Rod may have taken steroids as a teenager and as a Yankee

From USA Today:

Good morning.

We wake up to find that Alex Rodriguez may have used steroids as a high schooler and teammates suspected him of using when he was with the Yankees.

This according to A-Rod, The Many Lives of Alex Rodriguez, the new book by Sports Illustrated's Selena Roberts.

The book, to be released May 12, relies on unnamed sources concerning A-Rod's steroid use with New York.

As for his use in high school, Roberts writes that the Yankee infielder put on 25 pounds of muscle between his sophomore and junior years and quotes a teammate saying the son of the coach saw A-Rod using. (Photo by Al Messerschmidt, Getty Images)

Rodriguez has admitted to trying steroids while he played in Texas but said that was the only time. Roberts is the reporter who broke the story that A-Rod flunked a steroid test in 2003.

The book quotes an unnamed player saying Rodriguez and pitcher Kevin Brown were seen with HGH in 2004. Brown, named in in the Mitchell Report, denies that he and Rodriguez shared HGH.

The book, which also details Rodriguez's divorce and friendship with Madonna. It also contains reports that in blow-out games Rodriguez would sometimes tip off pitches to friends on opposing teams and expected reciprocity.

Will a book change your mind on Rodriguez?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Will a book change your mind on Rodriguez? >>

A book from this scumbag reporter won't change my mind.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope it discloses what ARod was up to with that she-Hulk he was diddling.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not the least bit surprised, in fact I'd be surprised if he didn't.
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    here comes arod in the news again
  • Options
    I saw the release date as May 12th. Hmm, I wonder why she chose that date to release it? Oh, what's that, Arod is scheduled back on the 15th? Amazing coincidence.

When are we, as a nation, just going to accept that everyone either did steroids or turned an eye to those that were doing? Either you were doing steroids or you knew people were doing them on your team and you didn't say anything. Either way you're guilty in my book. I'm getting sick and tired of these people on tv and the radio saying that those who didn't do steroids are getting cheated, that they're being unfairly swept in with those that did, to which I say BS. I don't believe for a second that those who didn't do steroids didn't know for a fact that there were people in their clubhouses, on their teams who were using. I (and I think most sports fans agree) don't care about steroids, don't care who took what. I was thinking the other day that pitchers by and large (other than Clemens) escaped the steroid wrath. But has anyone thought about why the high strikeout games from just a few years ago (15+) are non-existent now? Isn't it coincidental that when the crackdown on steroids came, both home runs and huge strikeout games went away as well?

Anyways, this 'reporter' for SI should be ashamed of herself for putting out such a slanderous and ridiculous book. Going back to high school? Really Ms. Roberts? Are you that desperate to sell a book you're willing to trust the memories of people from 15 years ago?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the allegations in the book are false and they harm A-Roid's reputation and good character ( image ), then he should be able to easily sue for libel. A-Roid's response to the news was "I'm not going there" -- which to me means "Haven't I lied enough already."

So he did roids as a teenager and as a Yankee. No problem. Unfortunately, they'll catch up to him when he tries to go injury-free for an entire season and when he seeks to live a long and healthy life.
  • Options
    It isn't surprising at all that guys like Arod and Pujols were juicing before they got drafted.

I would like to see what kind of evidence she has on the part where Arod was tipping pitches. That allegation needs more of a look as that is a far greater crime to the game than roids.
  • Options

<< <i>It isn't surprising at all that guys like Arod and Pujols were juicing before they got drafted.

I would like to see what kind of evidence she has on the part where Arod was tipping pitches. That allegation needs more of a look as that is a far greater crime to the game than roids. >>

supposedly it is "unnamed MLB players"
  • Options

<< <i>I saw the release date as May 12th. Hmm, I wonder why she chose that date to release it? Oh, what's that, Arod is scheduled back on the 15th? Amazing coincidence.

When are we, as a nation, just going to accept that everyone either did steroids or turned an eye to those that were doing? Either you were doing steroids or you knew people were doing them on your team and you didn't say anything. Either way you're guilty in my book. I'm getting sick and tired of these people on tv and the radio saying that those who didn't do steroids are getting cheated, that they're being unfairly swept in with those that did, to which I say BS. I don't believe for a second that those who didn't do steroids didn't know for a fact that there were people in their clubhouses, on their teams who were using. I (and I think most sports fans agree) don't care about steroids, don't care who took what. I was thinking the other day that pitchers by and large (other than Clemens) escaped the steroid wrath. But has anyone thought about why the high strikeout games from just a few years ago (15+) are non-existent now? Isn't it coincidental that when the crackdown on steroids came, both home runs and huge strikeout games went away as well?

Anyways, this 'reporter' for SI should be ashamed of herself for putting out such a slanderous and ridiculous book. Going back to high school? Really Ms. Roberts? Are you that desperate to sell a book you're willing to trust the memories of people from 15 years ago? >>

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I don't need to read a book to change my opinion of Aroid. However everyone will be under a cloud of suspicion until the rest of the names are released.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    33 million per year my arse.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Cheated with steroids and stealing hundreds of millions of dollars from Texas and the Yanks
    Cheated on his wife (with an Amazon beast and an over the hill hag, I might add)
    Cheated his teammates by swapping signals
    Cheated the American public and lied to Walters AND sweet Katie
    Cheated on his cousin by throwing him under the buss

The list goes on and on...

CHEATER!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not surprising at all, this guy would sell his own mother for adulation from the fans and the public..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cheated on his cousin by throwing him under the buss
    CHEATER! >>

Whoa, leave the Lakers' owner out of this!
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    He is in a no win situation, if he denies it hardly anyone would believe him since he was found to be lying the first time
    he denied using steroids, if the allegations are true he could admit it of course and then just harm his reputation even further.

A Rod is probably taking the best approach by refusing to talk about it but no doubt he will be hounded by reporters probably
    all season about the allegations.
  • Options
    MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭
    Best sports nickname ever: B*tch t*ts!!HAHAHAHA!!!!
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>Best sports nickname ever: B*tch t*ts!!HAHAHAHA!!!! >>

Scroll down a little!
  • Options
    MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Best sports nickname ever: B*tch t*ts!!HAHAHAHA!!!! >>

Scroll down a little! >>

That's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too funny!! lol!! God I wish this a s s clown wasn't on my team!
  • Options