Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Double clip VDB? [UPDATE-GRADE IN]

cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
In an update to this thread, I bought the coin on ebay and now have it in hand.

What does everyone think of it?

Not much of a clip but would it still be considered an error?

Many happy BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry I somehow missed the original thread. Your coin is definitely a genuine Mint clip. I'm curious if you found that on eBay because rarely does a clip like that escape my notice over there.

You didn't ask, but I will tell you that clipped planchets are not that unusual on 1909-VDB cents. I have three in my collection, and I know a collector with a couple of additional examples. There is even one on eBay right now in an NGC 63RD holder, a coin which has been around for a while and has sold on eBay at least three times before.

It's almost a shame that the VDB is on the reverse, because if not I would have tried to make you a very happy man. In the nearly 13 years I have been building my date set of clipped Lincolns, I've never seen a clipped 1909 no-VDB cent. Even the 1909-S VDB is available, with four in the ANACS pop report and another coin in an NGC holder (which might have been cracked from ANACS), and my date set includes an 1909-S/horizontal S with a rim clip.

Edited to add: Your coin is a single clip, not a double, the weak rim opposite the large clip at K-2 is an example of the Blakesley effect, and is a result of the "proto-rim" not being fully formed during the upsetting process.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
  • Options
    Any comments from the afternoon crowd?
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a classic die clip!! I think it's awesome!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Very nice die clip. I really like the look of that coin!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Nice little clip image

The single clip shows on the upper rev & lower obv.

Like Sean said what you see on the lower rev & upper obv is the Blakesley effect. When the clipped plan goes through the upset rollers the area opposite of the clip does not get the rim fully raised.
    Ed
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Thats a nice find, congrats !
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    Line # Item # Cert # PCGS No. CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade
    1 1 14658254 2424 1909 VDB 1C US MS64RB

CC Special
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick-up based on the seller lacking description and minuscule images! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Nice!

Did they mark the clip on theholder? I tried to include two clips in my freebie submissions and they refused to grade them.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Clip is not marked on holder.

According to customer service, it's up to the grader and the severity of the clip as to whether or not they get graded.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Clip is not marked on holder.

According to customer service, it's up to the grader and the severity of the clip as to whether or not they get graded. >>

I think you have to use an error submission to get mention of the clip on the holder. It's kind of a shame you didn't, as the coin already sold once at a discount for lack of mentioning the error.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086

<< <i>

<< <i>Clip is not marked on holder.

According to customer service, it's up to the grader and the severity of the clip as to whether or not they get graded. >>

I think you have to use an error submission to get mention of the clip on the holder. It's kind of a shame you didn't, as the coin already sold once at a discount for lack of mentioning the error.

Sean Reynolds >>

Nice discount for a non-error vdb too.
  • Options

<< <i>I think you have to use an error submission to get mention of the clip on the holder. It's kind of a shame you didn't, as the coin already sold once at a discount for lack of mentioning the error.
    >>

I tried to use Error with my submission but it was my freebie and they wouldn't let me, I called Customer Service on this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file