Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FINALLY.

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
First off, I'm sorry I haven't responded to the various Franklin threads of the last week. I've been having serious computer/internet issues, and I'm now in the process of migrating my PC files to Mac files.

Anyhow, I just found out the results to sending in 5 NGC coins for crossover to PCGS (all that was left from my 8 "free" submissions). The one I was most interested in was the 1949-D in NGC MS65. This was my second attempt at a crossover and it's finally got the grade that IMO it should have had in the first place. Why it didn't have FBL at NGC was beyond me. PCGS tends to be tougher on dark toned Franklins for whatever reasons, so in the first go around it would have gotten a 64fbl, but as I kept it in the slab they DNC'ed it the first time. Anyhow, this go around they MS65FBL'ed it. WAHOOO!!! IMO this coin is FULLY deserving of the MS65FBL grade.

Comments

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Nice!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Great coin, Did you have this at the SC show?
  • Options

<< <i>Great coin, Did you have this at the SC show? >>

Yes, that is where I sent it in. However, I sent it fairly soon when I got there, so I'm not sure if you had the chance to see it.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an outrageous Franklin Sy. Big time Cross!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!

So, are you done cornering the toned frankie market now and some of us can get a chance? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    wow...those lines are hammered in a beauty
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    smetsmet Posts: 359 ✭✭
    Wow, I'm not a huge Frankie fan, but that is awesome.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice!

So, are you done cornering the toned frankie market now and some of us can get a chance? image >>

Something tells me I'll still be buying the occasional Frankie. image Actually there are about 6 - 8 date/mm that I'd like to upgrade either technically, toning wise or both.

EDITED TO ADD: Oh, BTW, I originally sent this coin back to NGC for a designation review, e.g. to try and get an FBL, before I began sending it to PCGS. So, this was the third attempt at getting this coin into a MS65FBL holder.

• Options
    Truly shocking that it took this long.....to me it looks like a no brainer FBL......and I should know as I got coins back from NGC as FBL that weren't as nice as that......and don't get me started on the colors......Nice!!!!! image
  • Options
    CoinyCoiny Posts: 711 ✭✭
    Congrats skyman! A FBL if there ever was one!
    A fine Franklin!!
    Coiny
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Great coin you have there! Nice photos of the bell lines.
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<<<< That's a nice coin, & the one you have pictured is outstanding image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    Is this the case where NGC did not see the top lines of the Bell as being full....and PCGS does not require it? The top lines look pretty full from the pics. Congrats...very original looking! Me like! image
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Ol' Ben is looking good. image

Mike
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    .......i am green with envy now .............

in a PGCS holder the coin will command much attention , I am happy for you !

the thing with crossovers is a funny one -

if you send a nice coin in repeatedly over different periods of time ........

it will eventually get the nod .

I had a dozen or so I kept submitting and each time they would cross a couple -

then , in one fell swoop , they crossed all the rest of them !

And I don't have to tell you , PCGS is King !!!
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    .......now that you got it in a real holder ; the photo's you take will be absolutely stunning - I can't wait to see it !
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's one of the prettier 49's I've seen. Great coin Sy!!! Send it to me, yes send it!!!

You da Frankie man...

Jim
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    To say that is indeed a FBL would be like saying Babe Ruth could hit a baseball.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello Sy.

I marvel at your toned Frankies every time I see them. I also marvel at your Cameo Proof Frankies.

Here is a suggestion for a further Frankie collecting endeavor for you. Start looking for and acquiring a complete set of Cameo Proof Franklins (14 coins or 16 with the two recognized varieties) that are toned.

That should keep you quite busy and out of trouble for a few years (or maybe the remainder of your life)image
  • Options
    ....yes, good idea Sy - lay off the monster toned MINTSTATE Franklin's !image
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    That should keep you quite busy and out of trouble for a few years (or maybe the remainder of your life)image >>

With the money those would cost, his daughter's college fund would be limited to a local JC.
  • Options
    Thank you everybody, glad you like the coin!

Actually my next Frankie project is to try and do the series in white raw coins, most likely in the MS63-4 range, which should be fun and inexpensive (FBL nice, but not necessary). However I'm still planning on upgrading my toner MS set, and of course if I find any toner "duplicates" that really float my boat I'll go for them too!
  • Options
    WOW!!!imageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file