Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A good price for a Sacagawea..

A 2008 D Sacagawea on Teletrade next bid is $3500 smackers Yes $3500...PCGS doesn't yet list it in it's price list...Teletrade Link
......Larry........image

Comments

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Overpriced by $3499
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    More proof the auctions are rigged. image
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Overpriced by $3499 >>

I agree!! unless if it's a proof!!

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Apparently, the seller is looking at the PCGS price guide for a 'comparable'...a 2006-D Sac in MS-68 is indeed listed in the price guide at $3500.

The seller avoided another 'comparable'...the 2007-P Sac in MS-68 is listed at $170.

Does anyone buy at these prices?
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A 2008 D Sacagawea on Teletrade next bid is $3500 smackers Yes $3500... >>

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've submitted dozens of Sacagaweas since 2004. These have dated from 2000-2005. NONE were the mint issued "satin finish". MS 67 is tops for me image I suck at this.
    The Sacagaweas sold out at the mint last year, then I saw a sealed mint box roll of each ( 2008 P & D) sell for $150 on ebay. (Coincidence image ? )
    I don't know who or how they are able to find these, but kudos to whoever it is.
    Whatever the price ends up, doesn't much matter. Some guys have good luck and a great eye. I suspect whoever sent it in must have looked at hundreds, or just got lucky with that ONE in a roll.

image unless he's got a relative at the mint.
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    At these auction prices the Sac series is a nice coin ..at all grades..image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    At the moment I believe it has bid to $3400 which is actually a steal considering there are only 5 out there. Just a note, I consigned that coin and can vouch for its 100% quality and solidity for the grade. I have owned 2 of the 5 and this one is clearly nicer, borderline 69. $3400 is just under my reserve bid, hint, hint.image
  • Options
    I am the one that found that coin. I made 3 of the 5 in MS68. I also made the 3 2006-D's in MS68. Those are tough to find. Mitch made the 5th coin. I am not sure who made the first.
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    A fellow board member made the first 08 D 68. It now resides in a top Sac Dollar set.
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    what areas of the coin do you look for to try to figure out the approximate grade?
    figglehorn
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>what areas of the coin do you look for to try to figure out the approximate grade? >>

For an MS68, the entire coin needs to be near perfect. The killer on Sac's is usually on the reverse in the 10 O'clock fields. Also the rims tend to be scratched.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, Brian,

How do you feel about the comments of the ones who say it is overpriced...by $3499? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, Brian,

How do you feel about the comments of the ones who say it is overpriced...by $3499? image >>

Can I answer? Maybe these guys don't follow moderns--Just a guess. --Jerry
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey, Brian,

How do you feel about the comments of the ones who say it is overpriced...by $3499? image >>

Can I answer? Maybe these guys don't follow moderns--Just a guess. --Jerry >>

I know you felt you needed to answer, but I thought I was explicit asking Brian to answer....since he was the one who found the coin and made it, he could comment on the time spent finding it and the numbers it took to go through to get this, and the other 2 he found. That's what I was going for....I guess I need to be more explicit than just putting the name in of the person I was asking an answer of.

If I wanted the "they don't follow moderns", I would have asked ecoinquest as well since he plays the high end with these (but he wasn't the one who went through and found/made this coin so I didn't ask him)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>Hey, Brian,

I think thats is probably about right for the market, there are only 5. If you wanted one of that quality, I honestly don't think any individual has a much of a chance at making one, I made it when you could still get them from the mint. Its the lowest mintage SAC of any year, now you just can't get the 10,000+ coins you need to search through to find one. Wondercoin made the 5th one, I think he had something like 600+ MS67's to make a single 68, that represents well over 10,000 coins he must have searched, I only made 20 or so MS67's. The coins are now $4 each in BU, so you would need to outlay a good $30K to have a shot at making one, if you could find that many which is very doubtful. I am sure there are others scattered in the rolls that people have, but will they get searched with such low odds and the real cost of destroying much of the value in mint wrapped rolls? Probably not, IMO.

What do POP 5/0 Ikes go for? What about a POP 5/0 Peace dollar, or Morgan? The 72-D Ike is a POP 5/0 in MS67 at those at $7K coins, similar POP MS66 Peace dollars at $20K+, and forget about Morgans.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Given the low mintages of 2008, I would expect very profitable prices for any MS68 2008 Sacagawea.

There's just not that many to go through (2007 had 5.6 million more produced) and MS68 is simply not an easy grade to attain for a business strike Sacagawea. Excluding 2007 (which had 165 Philly coins in MS68 and 0 Denver coins in MS68) only 77 have attained that mark since 2005.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian's assessment is pretty much "right on". If memory serves me right, Datentype made coin #1 and, if I recall correctly, he priced it on ebay between $4,000 - $5,000. Brian made coins #2, #3, #4 (in a single submission?) and priced them around $3,500 - $4,500/coin as well. I spent the better part of a year buying and then screening thousands upon thousands upon thousands of coins to finally slab coin #5 and add the "top pop" coin to my MS Sac $1 set as a "homemade" addition. To this day, the 08-D Sac in MS68 was one trophy coin that eluded some of the greatest modern "hunters" out there.

So, the real question - is the coin worth more than $4,000 today (i.e. the price one needed to pay on Teletrade when you include the 15% buyers premium). Well, it wasn't in that Teletrade auction obviously on that given night. And, the "problem" (if you can call it that) is that there appears to be only 3 or 4 "ultra serious" MS Sac collectors out there currently (repeat "currently" - I believe this number will increase over time) willing to pay the big bucks for the super low pop coins. This coin as a pop 5 essentially has a pop just one coin higher than true demand at the $4,000+ level IMHO. Hence, the lone unsold coin awaiting the next diehard MS Sac collector to come along that wants to build the ultimate MS Sac collection. And, I believe this collector will come by - maybe not next week or next month or even this year, but, there will be another collector or two pursuing the best in the MS Sac series and he or she will be looking for a 2008-D Sac in MS68. IMHO, if the pop stays 5, it will be an easy sale at $3,500+ or so (what the consignor would have netted had the coin sold this week). But, if the pop increases to 6 or 7 or 8 in the meantime, we might be looking at $2,000 - $3,000 coin in the short run as it generally takes a few years before "this year's model" really proves itself as a true "classic modern". Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file